Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
If he can withstand the daily scrutiny, kudos to him.
He can't, so I have no idea why he hasn't waived. Every time a player is asked about Mitch they've been coached to say he's a great person and a wonderful human. Okay....I believe it but you never heard people repeat canned answers for Nylander or Matthews about how everyone loves them. It's just a terrible fit. I'd retain and add a sweetener to rid ourselves of him and his constant need for more money

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I've thought of a new strategy for Treliving to send a message loud and clear to Marner that his time has come.

BT should trade for a top 4 Dman in the last year of his term and then resign him long-term starting to use up that available cap space for next season. Or make a big 1 year UFA signing with a follow-up extention in the works for 2026 and beyond when more cap space open up.

The more this type of situation occurs, it will be made clear there will be NO Room for a $12 mil extension for Marner, so there is no use holding out and on hoping, and start accepting his time in TO is over.

This forced leverage maneuver might make Marner and Agent become more willing and on board to work with Tre on a suitable trade to a team that might be willing to meet Marner's future demands.

Essentially Marner can hide behind his NMC this season but with a shrinking Cap space for next year in TO, it would prevent another overpayment and contract mistake and send a clear message that affordability will prevent Marner from achieving his next contract terms. If Leafs only have $8.5 mil free cap projected available you can't afford a $12 mil contract ask now can you?

Marner's own greed $$ the root cause why he priced himself out of Toronto.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He got himself one of the most ridiculous overpays in the history of the sport on that last contract. I have faith that he has no shame. This is 1 time I believe in him.
The upcoming season has the makings of being really bad which may suit him perfectly.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I agree that there is a select group of elite fans who care more passionately about the team but at the same time manage to think more logically, in ways supported by evidence, than the casuals

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I've thought of a new strategy for Treliving to send a message loud and clear to Marner that his time has come.

BT should trade for a top 4 Dman in the last year of his term and then resign him long-term starting to use up that available cap space for next season. Or make a big 1 year UFA signing with a follow-up extention in the works for 2026 and beyond when more cap space open up.

The more this type of situation occurs, it will be made clear there will be NO Room for a $12 mil extension for Marner, so there is no use holding out and on hoping, and start accepting his time in TO is over.

This forced leverage maneuver might make Marner and Agent become more willing and on board to work with Tre on a suitable trade to a team that might be willing to meet Marner's future demands.

Essentially Marner can hide behind his NMC this season but with a shrinking Cap space for next year in TO, it would prevent another overpayment and contract mistake and send a clear message that affordability will prevent Marner from achieving his next contract terms. If Leafs only have $8.5 mil free cap projected available you can't afford a $12 mil contract ask now can you?

You think Treliving has a strategy? He seems more like a guy that fills out a roster because they’re obligated to ice a team.

Reactions: rumman

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The upcoming season has the makings of being really bad which may suit him perfectly.
I'm not sure I agree with that. They may decide to give his spot on the top line to Domi (I would). That could get him put with Tavares all season. We'll see how much magic he really has then. I don't think it's a great gamble for him. What if Berube doesn't like how he handles the puck so much on the PP?

People talk about punishing Marner. And say it's stupid. But the Leafs have been catering to him for years. Giving him everything he wants. What is their incentive to do that if he's walking at the end of the year? Power play struggles for a month? Change is coming.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with that. They may decide to give his spot on the top line to Domi (I would). That could get him put with Tavares all season. We'll see how much magic he really has then. I don't think it's a great gamble for him. What if Berube doesn't like how he handles the puck so much on the PP?

People talk about punishing Marner. And say it's stupid. But the Leafs have been catering to him for years. Giving him everything he wants. What is their incentive to do that if he's walking at the end of the year? Power play struggles for a month? Change is coming.
They’re playing a completely different style next season so who knows what’ll happen, but I’m confident they won’t punishing Marner and cutting his playing time, unless he can’t adapt.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
They’re playing a completely different style next season so who knows what’ll happen, but I’m confident they won’t punishing Marner and cutting his playing time, unless he can’t adapt.
I don't believe they will punish him either. I think they want to play a different style, whether they can actually accomplish that with this set of players, I'm skeptical. Berube sounds like he wants to play dump and chase and 3 out the 4 core really aren't suited to play that.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Reinhart and Guentzel, being better players than whiny and greedy mitch, signed for 8-9 million respectively, while Toronto is expected to pay him 12-13 million?

Reactions: rumman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You think Treliving has a strategy? He seems more like a guy that fills out a roster because they’re obligated to ice a team.
Yes, very much so.

Leafs are moving from an East-West figure skating rush team, to a North-South physical heavy style dump and chase team starting with their new coach appointment.

You require completely different player personnel to play regular season pond hockey and winning playoff hockey as we have witnessed painfully with easy outs in round #1.

"Regular season Warriors, and Playoff Paper Tigers" is the way I have described this,

That is in fact a strategy for BT to now provide Berube the types of players to successfully play his system and allow the team to potentially play playoff style hockey starting at game #1 of the regular season, and not flip a switch come playoff time going from run and gun to dump and chase.

Different style players = Strategy.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't believe they will punish him either. I think they want to play a different style, whether they can actually accomplish that with this set of players, I'm skeptical. Berube sounds like he wants to play dump and chase and 3 out the 4 core really aren't suited to play that.
They don’t have a lot of choices but to play off the glass and out.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We’re going end up letter him walk in UFA next year aren’t we?

Honestly still better than re-signing a petulant child on a ridiculous AAV.

Ideal scenario is we trade him
the next best option is you let him walk.

8 years worth of evidence that Marner is absolutely garbage in the playoffs. he cannot drive his own line and needs a prime tavares or matthews to put up points.

12 AAV for such a player is disastrous! If we can't trade him; we at least shouldn't be re-signing him.

Sometimes you take the wins that you can. In this scenario, no marner after next off season since he is not waiving his ntc/nmc is a win in my books

Reactions: HolyCrap and js2k6

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

i wanted treliving to walk away from tanev and sign Lindholm (2C) and Zadorov and then fill up the roster with dumpster diving. we plan for tavares leaving and get our 2C with Tavares playing 3C and limited ice-time this season and next season with both tavares and marner off the cap Leafs can fill out bottom 6 and defense.

Lindholm is a golden opportunity that Leafs shoudn't miss. I really think Leafs should still go for Lindholm and dump out Jarnkrok+Kampf.

they can ice this season:

Domi-Matthews-Knies
Robertson-Lindholm-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
4th line

Rielly Tanev* (he is now signed so unfortunately he is here now)
Zadorov Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Woll
XXX

Treliving MUST get to it and SOON

Next season when tavares and marner are off the cap Leafs can really build the bottom 6 and defense. Meanwhile you up the value for Robertson too by playing him in top6 and then trade him replacing him with Cowan next season.

There is still a chance for Treliving to not completely F it up.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes, very much so.

Leafs are moving from an East-West figure skating rush team, to a North-South physical heavy style dump and chase team starting with their new coach appointment.

You require completely different player personnel to play regular season pond hockey and winning playoff hockey as we have witnessed painfully with easy outs in round #1.

"Regular season Warriors, and Playoff Paper Tigers" is the way I have described this,

That is in fact a strategy for BT to now provide Berube the types of players to successfully play his system and allow the team to potentially play playoff style hockey starting at game #1 of the regular season, and not flip a switch come playoff time going from run and gun to dump and chase.

It looks like they’re going to be the same team as last year without Bertuzzi. He may have a strategy but just has trouble executing it?
Yes, very much so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad