Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Exactly. If Marner stays and the Leafs don't give him the typical overpay extension he's in for a rude awakening from the rest of the league in regards to his TRUE market value.
If he REALLY wants to be here, say, "I'm willing to sign for $10M a year" - taking a small pay cut. Of course, he won't do that but...

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Berube just said he looks forward to coaching him

Is that after you don't watch the Leafs as you have said in the past?
I did stop watching for a bit, yeah. I imagine most fans by 31 took some time away. I still follow them and watch playoffs. But the days of watching 50+ season games is def over. I've watched every playoff game.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Play him L3, PP2, PK2

His pt totals will falter, and he will see his value as a UFA shrink further.

Do people think that GMs burn all the tape and erase their memory at the start of every new season?

Unlike our board, they use context and previous seasons to evaluate players as well.

Reactions: francis246

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Do people think that GMs burn all the tape and erase their memory at the start of every new season?

Unlike our board, they use context and previous seasons to evaluate players as well.
Yes and his most recent two seasons he wasnt on either all NHL teams, got insignifcant hart/lindsay votes, not an art ross threat and just put up a historical performance of 3 pts in 7 games against the 2024 boston bruins

Marner got his 11M as a RFA b/c we thought he could be the best winger in the league and a top 7 or 8 player

Over the past two years hes fringe top 5 and a fringe top 15ish player

If he has down year with 85 pt play, his demands go from 12M+ to 10M as teams simply wont pay for a guy to be a top 4 or 5 contract in the league when hes 3 years removed from any NHL award recognition (2022 1st team RW)

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He’s being traded, whether it’s before the season starts or by the deadline he’s going to be traded. I am certain of this…….

Plenty of players on Vegas I’d swap Marner for……..
Nobody cares if people on the internet are certain though. We have ZERO idea what's happening, but the fact we've left the draft is one less window, so the likelihood increases.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lol. He did better this year based on games played and he is a year younger in his career.
Spin it any way you like, bottom line is that expecting Marner to "easily" do something he's done once in his entire career is foolish.

l'm curious to see how he'd do on a different team. Unfortunately for Mitch (and us), he likely won't find another GM stupid enough to give him a raise.
I expect he'll be the same player no matter where he plays. Very good to excellent for the regular season and the first few games of the playoffs, then as the games get bigger he gets smaller and smaller. Put him someplace that has no expectations of playoff success to begin with and he'll be loved by the entire fanbase.

He’s being traded, whether it’s before the season starts or by the deadline he’s going to be traded. I am certain of this…….
I have no idea how you're so sure of this, but I hope you're right.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
I expect he'll be the same player no matter where he plays. Very good to excellent for the regular season and the first few games of the playoffs, then as the games get bigger he gets smaller and smaller. Put him someplace that has no expectations of playoff success to begin with and he'll be loved by the entire fanbase.

So Buffalo then?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Spin it any way you like, bottom line is that expecting Marner to "easily" do something he's done once in his entire career is foolish.

I have no idea how you're so sure of this, but I hope you're right.
only logical solution, if they haven't politely told him he's not in their future plans yet that's on them. Be honest and work with him to find a new team..............

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
With the vibes sort of leaning towards the Leafs wanting to keep him, can someone remind me if there's a reason Mitch doesn't play C?

He's an excellent two way player. Is he so hopeless at faceoffs that they can't play him there?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd feel a lot better if two of the core forwards were at least centers.

Reactions: DarkKnight

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I expect this situation to get a lot messier before its resolved, and a complete team distraction. I also expect Marner and his agent (with an known reputation) to use that to try extract and leverage a pay raise and new contract out of TO to silence the noise.
If the Leafs get an acceptable offer from Team X and Marner agrees to waive, Marner will negotiate with Team X, not the Leafs.

Reactions: rumman

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
With the vibes sort of leaning towards the Leafs wanting to keep him, can someone remind me if there's a reason Mitch doesn't play C?

He's an excellent two way player. Is he so hopeless at faceoffs that they can't play him there?

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'd feel a lot better if two of the core forwards were at least centers.
Wonder that was well, plus you keep him off the wall more. If Domi can play center with his defensive play average at best, not sure why Marner never gets a sniff there.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So Buffalo then?
I dunno, I guess it could be any number of teams.

only logical solution, if they haven't politely told him he's not in their future plans yet that's on them. Be honest and work with him to find a new team..............

If he refuses to leave though (which is what it feels like ATM), I can see them deciding that extending him is better than letting him walk for nothing. I think that's what is likely to happen as well, we'll see.

Reactions: Azail

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I dunno, I guess it could be any number of teams.

If he refuses to leave though (which is what it feels like ATM), I can see them deciding that extending him is better than letting him walk for nothing. I think that's what is likely to happen as well, we'll see.
if they want to move him and then resign him it confirms they're idiots. I equate that with wanting to break up with your girlfriend and she says no so you marry her. Only in Leafland............

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sorry. The team cap needs to be restructured and there's no room for a $10 million soft underperforming playoff forward.
really hoping Tre wisely spends to the cap max and picks up a deadline contract that ensures there's no money left for Mitch next year..........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad