Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You said word for word and I quote, "You don't think his father has been and is intimately involved in every contract negotiation Marner's ever had?"

that seems like you are pretty directly saying what degree paul is involved in.

Francis I am on the Marner Assist Foundation website. I can not find any data and the contact email goes to some lady named Natasha.

[email protected]

Is ITFactor a Marner owned Business?

This is really interesting stuff. I bet he has a holding company and all sorts of numbered companies and cool stuff. Probably off shore too.

Very impressive Marner clan!

I bet he has a stockpile of worn items and merch in storage for auction. Probably well insured too

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yeah well, talking to his son on a daily basis for his entire life seems pretty intimate to me. And many have portrayed the relationship as one where Paul is the one calling the shots, is there reason to doubt them? Because if those people are right then he's more than just involved, he's basically the puppet master.

lol I'd hope he's talking to his son daily! it is his son after all. Why we care so much about it, makes no sense to me. I've heard Brian Matthews is just as influential with Matthews, but it's just not mentioned as much. Brian was the one who told Auston not to tell the team that he got arrested. And we know Michael Nylander has and is heavily involved in Willy's negotiations. So it's not isolated to Marner alone. When you're at that level, a lot of the times the parents are giving their opinions to their kids. Up to the kids whether they go off what their parents said.

At the end of the day, it's naive to expect kids not to have close relationships with their parents.

Francis I am on the Marner Assist Foundation website. I can not find any data and the contact email goes to some lady named Natasha.

[email protected]

This is really interesting stuff. I bet he has a holding company and all sorts of numbered companies and cool stuff. Probably off shore too.

I bet he has a stockpile of worn items and merch in storage for auction. Probably well insured too

LOL, you're crazy man.

Reactions: ACC1224

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
lol I'd hope he's talking to his son daily! it is his son after all. Why we care so much about it, makes no sense to me. I've heard Brian Matthews is just as influential with Matthews, but it's just not mentioned as much. Brian was the one who told Auston not to tell the team that he got arrested. And we know Michael Nylander has and is heavily involved in Willy's negotiations. So it's not isolated to Marner alone. When you're at that level, a lot of the times the parents are giving their opinions to their kids. Up to the kids whether they go off what their parents said.

At the end of the day, it's naive to expect kids not to have close relationships with their parents.

LOL, you're crazy man.

Not at all Francis. Running a foundation is common grift for these people. I am quite close to a Director at the CRA.

I find it amusing when these charities and foundations operate like this.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Going back to where we started, I think it's more than obvious that Paul is "involved". We can debate the extent or how normal it is or isn't or who should or shouldn't care, we can talk about Matthews getting arrested or change the subject to Nylander or whatever else but that's all besides the point.

The original comment was this:
"Pretty funny that people still hold the idiotic belief that his father is going to have anything to do with his next contract or whether he decides to leave".

This from a poster who is posting on a daily basis about how stupid and idiotic people are and IMO the irony is off the charts here because IMO, thinking that his father has nothing at all do with his next contract is well ... idiotic.

It seems from your earlier posts that you agree that Paul is indeed involved. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong about that but unless I'm mistaken in this belief I think we can move on now.

Not at all Francis. Running a foundation is common grift for these people. I am quite close to a Director at the CRA.

I find it amusing when these charities and foundations operate like this.
Yes this is my understanding as well. I don't find it amusing though, I'd say disgusting is a more appropriate word.

Reactions: arso40

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If Paul Marner wasn't so greedy and so insecure in his own skin he would tell his son to do the right thing.

If 16 signed a 8x10 deal with the Leafs he would win so much PR that people would forget his playoff failure. He would look like a team player giving up a mil a year to help the team get better.

80 million should be enough to live off for the rest of your life after hockey. What is another 16 million is your life going to be impacted by making 80 mil over the next 10 year vs 96 mil.
No we wouldn't. Do not want him back.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Please direct me to the financial data. I would like to investigate where the money is spent. It should be public data. Bono of U2 fame had a great foundation. The One foundation... Where just over 1% was making it to the target.

Even if 50% makes it to target. Total grift.

Thank you.
You're right, but if money doesn't get to the targeted charities eventually the CRA will crack down.

[email protected]

Well, to be honest, if I had that kind of money I'd be looking for any kind of tax advantage at all. What the MAF Foundation is doing is not against the law... at least so far.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Let’s keep Paul, Mitch’s foundation and his teeth out of the thread.

Let’s focus on why they need to rid themselves of Mitch the player. It’s pretty simple really, he’s just not worth what he will ultimately get paid, and this team needs a shift at the top end of the roster.

Couldn’t agree more and that’s really what it comes down to. We are moving Mitch because he doesn’t fit our cap structure and we need to make a change to our overall team structure.

Wtf cares about Paul Marner or whether he’s using the MAF for a tax break.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Couldn’t agree more and that’s really what it comes down to. We are moving Mitch because he doesn’t fit our cap structure and we need to make a change to our overall team structure.

I think the MAF thing is relevant as it is part of his compensation package in regards to tax reduction and providing other people close to Marner an income. Those opportunities may not be available elsewhere and thus will have to be taken into account by Marner and his advisors.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

As long as his knights of the round table don’t keep telling us how great he is in the community (we all know why he has the foundation) and that his teammates love him and he cares too much. It’s all nonsense

Reactions: rumman

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I think the MAF thing is relevant as it is part of his compensation package in regards to tax reduction and providing other people close to Marner an income. Those opportunities may not be available elsewhere and thus will have to be taken into account by Marner and his advisors.

Marner lives in Toronto in the off-season. If he’s traded his foundation can stay where it is and continue on. I doubt his foundation stops if it’s traded.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Let’s keep Paul, Mitch’s foundation and his teeth out of the thread.

Let’s focus on why they need to rid themselves of Mitch the player. It’s pretty simple really, he’s just not worth what he will ultimately get paid, and this team needs a shift at the top end of the roster.
It is also really important for a cultural reset. The Marner contract was the one that really tipped things over the edge with guys prioritizing money and themselves above all else; when Marner bent Dubas and f***ed him dry like that, there was no way Willy or Matthews would take any haircuts on future contracts, especially Willy who was on a good value deal for 6 years. The culture is established that guys come here now to get paid, even the cheap reclamation project player often get a nice 'Toronto bump' afterwards.

No more handouts and massive deals where you get the keys to city, prioritize the crest on the front. The fact that a guy like Draisaitl only has a modified NTC at this point in his deal while Marner has a full NMC for his final two years is a f***ing JOKE. Even Chiarelli could negotiate better than Shanny and Dubas.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
As long as his knights of the round table don’t keep telling us how great he is in the community (we all know why he has the foundation) and that his teammates love him and he cares too much. It’s all nonsense

Well I’ll be honest, I don’t think Marner is really hated within the NHL and amongst players. I know NHLers personally, i teach some of their children and have ran into a few at the gym I used to work at and they all love him, think he’s a fun guy. I have not heard anything bad about him.

The public perception of him is not shared by his peers which is fine. Both can be true, fans can dislike his personality or how he is portrayed, but that sentiment isnt shared by the other players.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Well I’ll be honest, I don’t think Marner is really hated within the NHL and amongst players. I know NHLers personally, i teach some of their children and have ran into a few at the gym I used to work at and they all love him, think he’s a fun guy. I have not heard anything bad about him.

The public perception of him is not shared by his peers which is fine. Both can be true, fans can dislike his personality or how he is portrayed, but that sentiment isnt shared by the other players.
I’m not saying they don’t like him, but it shouldn’t really matter. All these players like each other, and love Mitch because the more he makes the more they make.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It is also really important for a cultural reset. The Marner contract was the one that really tipped things over the edge with guys prioritizing money and themselves above all else; when Marner bent Dubas and f***ed him dry like that, there was no way Willy or Matthews would take any haircuts on future contracts, especially Willy who was on a good value deal for 6 years. The culture is established that guys come here now to get paid, even the cheap reclamation project player often get a nice 'Toronto bump' afterwards.

No more handouts and massive deals where you get the keys to city, prioritize the crest on the front.

LOL Willy and Matthews signed first! Marner signed after both those guys.

And I’m sorry to break it to you, but this became about money long before Marner’s extension. When Matthews decided he wasn’t going to sign his ELC until August so he could get his bonus and when the Leafs decided that one guy would get a bonus and the other wouldn’t it made it about money.

The leafs have no one to blame but themselves. When you have 2 or more guys who are all elite you have to treat them equally or the same.

LA treated Kopitar and Doughty the same. Chicago treated Kane and Toews the same.

Pittsburgh treated Malkin and Crosby the same and when they didn’t, Crosby always had Malkin’s back to ensure he was treated the same as him.

Colorado treated MacKinnon the same as Landeskog and Rantanen.

Edmonton treated Draisaitl the same as McDavid.

Tampa treated Hedman, Vasi, Stamkos, Kucherov the same.

No one was more important than the other. Their negotiations were similar and expectations for each were similar. Toronto made a mess the moment they treated Nylander differently than Marner and Marner differently than Matthews. We can thank Lou for that. The message that being Leaf is more important than the individual should have been preached better, not 1 month before their ELC’s were about to expire.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What's up with Marner?

There has been non-stop discussion about Mitch Marner's future since the Leafs' season ended.

The talented winger holds a no-move clause as he enters the final year of his deal.

As of now, Friedman said he feels the most likely scenario is that Marner stays with Toronto -- at least for this season.

"I do believe the Leafs have considered internally making him a (contract) offer and see where it goes," Friedman said. "Until i get evidence that he's serious about going anywhere else, there's a serious offer for him to go anywhere else in terms of both the contract and trade, you have to convince me this is going to go any other direction."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad