Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Marner isn't the difference between what we've seen the past 5 years, and the 2013 leafs. I would be utterly shocked if the team trended lower in any significant fashion after trading Marner.

I don't think it'd be a big difference either... but the direction Treliving was going last year already made the team worse, so having more cap space to fulfill his vision doesn't give me great hope.

I'm not sure anyone can find a compelling argument that Treliving can make a team better, this is just based on the direction Calgary went under his leadership.

Reactions: mclaren55

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I kind of hope Marner stays as a lame-duck pending UFA, and then puts up a 120 point season while single-handedly carrying this team deep into the playoffs next season before re-upping in June 2025 for 13 x 8. It'd be one hell of a redemption arc even if a highly improbable one at that lol
Ha ha, and then you woke up to realize it was all a dream……….

Oh look, yet another post devoid of hockey content whining about other posters from our self appointed resident head master. It is indeed a beautiful morning. :)
Simple Jack strikes again………..

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
We shall see if the coach makes much of a difference.

You need players and our bottom six isnt great and our D basically is Reilly and McCabe and Benoit and no one else .....and we still need a proven goalie even tho I like Woll alot.....he isnt reliable yet ..

Might make a difference in the regular season. That's where Marner shines.

Only sport that changes rules in playoffs to promote goons.
I keep on hearing its "toughness and heart" ....but what about the refs call the game the same?

They dont so the goons can chop...crosscheck and interfere.....no wonder the ice shrinks.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
This sounds like wishful thinking to me. He keeps saying "I think" this and "I think" that and doesn't even claim to have a source for any of it.

He also calls it "good old fashioned reporting" LOLOLOLOL.

I'm not impressed.
I agree but I prefer to be delusional and optimistic for a trade and push agendas that support it lol

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree but I prefer to be delusional and optimistic for a trade and push agendas that support it lol
"Run it back" crowd looking good. Unfortunately the "change the core" group are not delusional and know how the play will end next April and it will be even uglier for Tre who got a hall pass this year. Oh yeah and the moron who's not in it to sell jersey's might want to go into hiding once they hit the Golf course, his expertise.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
As mentioned, he sat out to get paid and would have walked to UFA this season had his demand not been met.
He sat out because Dubas didn't give him a contract, and he wasn't allowed to play. And he still got the lowest of the five contracts.

You assume he would have walked to UFA (there's no proof). Does the fact that it took longer to get Tre to agree to the amount necessarily mean he was greedier that Matty? And indications are that Marner will walk to UFA is his even higher demands aren't met, so that means he's even greedier, right?

The fact is that the other three forwards were all given a lot more in their previous contracts, while he had to fight to get a lot less. I'm not sure that makes him greedy, especially since it could easily be argued that he has earned his salary the best of the four.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So if Marner is a Leaf on day one next season, do fans cheer him or boo him?
As always, and even with players from other teams (to a lesser extent), I will cheer for good plays and not cheer (but not boo) for bad plays.

I might occasionally boo a ref for a bad decision.

Cap space can cripple your team if used incorrectly...
True - which is why we really have to see the end of both Marner and JT.

Reactions: Smif

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
They'll be a bunch of changes and the new Coach should make a world of difference.
1719437111877.png

meaningless change.

Marner must be traded or this is another version of RUNNING IT BACK.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Can you imagine what would happen if all the 'pundits' said the same thing?

Everyone on all the talk shows, and all the twits, and all the sportswriters, and all the insiders, all agree that Marner should be traded to (this particular team) for (this particular return), or signed to $12.5x8, or let walk, or even fired into the sun.

OK, everyone agrees, now there's nothing to talk about until preseason - see you then.

The main reason they all have different opinions (and they are just opinions) is so they will have something to talk about, so they can generate clicks and looks and likes (and laughs), and thereby earn their paychecks.

Ever notice on that stupid 'the quiz' show that usually each person picks a different answer, and they all have points and usually video to back up their choice? Do you honestly think it isn't scripted?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
"Run it back" crowd looking good. Unfortunately the "change the core" group are not delusional and know how the play will end next April and it will be even uglier for Tre who got a hall pass this year. Oh yeah and the moron who's not in it to sell jersey's might want to go into hiding once they hit the Golf course, his expertise.
Perhaps MLSE should look to replace lost playoff revenue by launching an exclusive line of Toronto Maple Leaf golf apparel. They have lots of models/Gods to style it for them.

Perhaps sell tickets to the Annual 1st Round Maple Leafs Playoff Elimination Open, hosted by your loser Leafs. It’s the closest any of them will get to a Cup of any kind.

#disgusted

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Mitch will waive his NTC.

He should be smart enough to know he won't perform well on 3rd line and PP2.

Marner isn't into tanking his long term value.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
So if Marner is a Leaf on day one next season, do fans cheer him or boo him?
If they boo then it’s a classless act.

But it won’t surprise me one bit…
they trashed our all time leading scorer because he wanted to stay in TO instead of being traded for assets.

Then they wonder why so many fans hate the leafs and their fans.

Get off your ass and cheer …be proud

If the coach decides to punish Marner and put him on a 3rd line then good luck in the locker room

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad