Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
come on man. we are discussing hockey. If the point is to just chill and say how awesome everything is with rainbows then whats the point of HF Boards to begin with?

Losing shit and being a keyboard warrior is what HF is for. And I LOVE IT! ;)

:laugh:
Should've kept the Marner Appreciation Thread open for the select group that wanted to compare him to Gretzky and say he is more important to the Leafs than Matthews.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
we had a rubbish defense. and our core 4 scores goals and puts up points, but, they are far from stat padding players.
Keefe never ran up scores when he could have (and should have) like other teams did against us, he'd put out the 4th line for a PP when we had a big lead.

May want to check that with a few Flyers fans.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Should've kept the Marner Appreciation Thread open for the select group that wanted to compare him to Gretzky and say he is more important to the Leafs than Matthews.

Matthews is more important to the Leafs than anyone on the roster. When I read those takes I really laughed and then cringed LMAO :laugh:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Mitch can't have his cake and eat it to ..

He can have his money if he and agent play their cards right to benefit him financially but it doesn't appear his career with Toronto is in the cards. ...

The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta has provided intriguing updates on Toronto Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner.​

June 17th, 2024 .. As the hockey world waits on a decision from the Leafs and Marner, rumours will continue to swirl about every scenario possible surrounding the perennial 90+ point forward.

The Leafs have not approached Marner about waiving his no-movement clause as of yet, but they have reportedly taken calls on him. According to The Fourth Period's Dave Pagnotta, the teams that are interested in the 27-year-old are the Vegas Golden Knights, Nashville Predators, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars.

Trade Watch:

View attachment 883924
I hope Tre has given permission to other GM's to talk with Ferris about any possible deal involving Marner..........

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No, he can’t ignore the noise. The so called leaders made up the scapegoat argument after his disappearing act against Boston.

Marner and Rielly were not availabe for post game after the OT debacle.

And then during the locker cleanout interviews everyone was like "We love Mitch"; the writing was definitely on the wall at that time; I don't think anything else has changed for this.

Who here expects Marner all of a sudden become a playoff monster; winning board battles, going to dirty areas, NOT play mickymouse hockey, engage in puck battles, improve his skating and shot all in this summer... He should have been at his peak by now and that "peak" as far as I am concerned is jsut not good enough for the cap hit he already has forget what he will be asking....

simply put... Marner is NOT Maple Leaf material. Time to move on!

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Right. That 11.5m would also be an overpay just like the Nylander contract. The only justifiable contract is AM who is tracking to be the best goal scorer of all time.

The thing is, that may not happen because it seems the players and Keefe had an arrangement to play stat padding hockey in the regular season and then switch to a more playoff style this year at least. Marner cant sit at that table, its a different league and everyone witnessed it.
Except matthews is shit in the playoffs too
Maybe he becomes the best regular season scorer and continues his terrible playoff career

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
According to this, he did take quite a hometown discount:

McDavid was rumoured to be signing an eight-year deal at $13.25 million per, but he took less than that. Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli said that McDavid could have signed for much more, or pushed for a shorter term, but chose not to do so. “This may be one of the largest contracts ever given in the NHL, but I can assure you it easily could have been a lot higher in value and shorter in term,” Chiarelli said. Building a team to win the Stanley Cup was a constant discussion point in this negotiation.

Connor was emphatic, as was I, about keeping this team competitive… He wants us to ice a winning team, as we all do, as the fans of Edmonton do.”

If McDavid had pushed, he could have received the maximum contract of $15 million per year over 8 years, so he has essentially left $20 million on the table. In the McDavid deal, $86 million of the reported $100 million will be paid in signing bonuses each July 1.

You can't stress that enough!!! (bolded red fonts)

If the goal is to move off Marner, you better hope 31 other teams give a shit about Marner's regular season accomplishments - because that's going to drive the market on him.

No one's going to give up a premium for Marner based on his playoff ghost act late in series.

There are "poor" teams who would gladly take marner for regular season moolah and can market him to their hockey city

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

He can have his money if he and agent play their cards right to benefit him financially but it doesn't appear his career with Toronto is in the cards. ...

The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta has provided intriguing updates on Toronto Maple Leafs star Mitch Marner.​

June 17th, 2024 .. As the hockey world waits on a decision from the Leafs and Marner, rumours will continue to swirl about every scenario possible surrounding the perennial 90+ point forward.

The Leafs have not approached Marner about waiving his no-movement clause as of yet, but they have reportedly taken calls on him. According to The Fourth Period's Dave Pagnotta, the teams that are interested in the 27-year-old are the Vegas Golden Knights, Nashville Predators, Chicago Blackhawks and Dallas Stars.

Trade Watch:

View attachment 883924
These teams must be incompetent or something

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Does this sound like a style of hockey Marner would excel at????

LOL Marner would cry like a child playing that kinda hockey. He isnt cut out to play that kinda hockey. You would have to surround marner with 4 other guys who crash and bang and play high octane hockey. Even then Marner would find a way to play mickymouse hockey as far as I am concerned.

Marner isn't McDavid where you build around him. Marner is NOT a fit for the Leafs. The sooner he is gone the better it is for the Leafs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I woke up this morning to an epiphany (an intuitive grasp of reality through something (such as an event) usually simple and striking.)

Question: What is the difference between Marner playing hardball and not waving his NMC and playing out the year, & then walking away as a UFA after next season?
Answer: Nothing as far as his LEAFS future goes beyond this current contract.

So with that thought enlightenment I have changed course 180 degrees and believe Treliving should extend Marner 100% at his earliest convenience after July 1st, to a term and rate at which Marner would agree and is reasonable. However with one special exception his new contract while on his financial terms comes with the caveat NO protection clauses included (either NTC or NMC). Those are optional and given out by the GM as bargaining chips, and often handed out to players you want to stay with the organization anyways, not ones you want to move on from.

So now I'll repeat the question now with a newly re-signed Marner.

Question: What is the difference between Marner playing hardball and not waving his NMC, playing out the year, & then getting traded away July 1st 2025 once his current deal expires?
Answer: Nothing as far as his LEAFS future goes beyond this current contract.

For Marner the outcome in both cases is identical ... Play out the year and then move on.

However for the Leafs a whole lot, because rather than having a pending walk-away UFA situation leaving the Leafs with nothing but recaputured cap space, now GM BT has essentially pulled off a sign and trade (on a 1 year delayed basis) instead of July 1st 2024 its now 2025 & and Leafs get as much as they can bargain in a succesful and competed trade. If Marner refuses to re-sign in TO without a NTC/NMC then he is right back to Step 1 above.

Now I'll ask the question one last time with the answer to the question included in the questiion itself.

Question: What is the difference between Leafs having traded Marner last year before his NMC kicked in, or him playing hardball and not waving his NMC, playing out the year, & then getting traded away July 1st 2025 once his current deal expires?
Answer: TIME (traded last year, this year or a year from now) is all about timing,

The sooner Marner gets on board the better for everyone.

I see where you are coming from but quite frankly this is a bad approach IMO.

If Marner is seeking 12 to 13 million on a long term deal; and suppose Treliving signs this and Marner's camp also agrees to no NMCs/NTCs even then that is problematic IMO.

There has to be a team out there that values Marner at 12 to 13 AAV. Then with the signing bonus structure there has to be a team out there who will be able to accommodate such signing bonus structure in their finances.

I really don't think there are many teams out there who value marner at 12 to 13 AAV; and probably only a handful of teams who will be willing to pay significant chunk of his salary on July 1st every freakin' year of his contract.

As far as I am concerned this is a RISK which Leafs shouldn't take. If I was Treliving I WOULD NOT go this route.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Trade Watch:

View attachment 883924
What are the 'intriguing updates'?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Yea... thats very "RICH" coming from him. Wasn't he one of the guys kissing marner's ass even after the habs debacle? yea... doesn't mean much now....

however, him losing his shit now is something that is good I suppose :laugh:

Steve Dangle has been pretty consistent since MTL that one of the core four has to move. He was one of the first media guys I kinda saw driving the Mitch has to go bus TBH.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Steve Dangle has been pretty consistent since MTL that one of the core four has to move. He was one of the first media guys I kinda saw driving the Mitch has to go bus TBH.

From what I recall he was the one pushing for "run it back"

Dangle was a big Dubas ass kissser until the Bolts series (first time around) from what I recall. He still should have those videos up on the YouTube channel. Too lazy to look them up myself LOL

He was working for sportsnet and had access to locker room; so he played his cards right i.e. didn't malign the "run it back" narrative for a long time he basically repeated the Dubas/Shanny narrative and agreed with it

Reactions: theTTC

myleafs

May 25, 2021
You know whats really disgusting? They actually legitimately thought Dubas and Keefe were on the right track after the MTL series. It proved they have some warped sense of reality.
And remember Shanny was all ready to re-up Dubas before Dubas got all uppity. Yikes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I see where you are coming from but quite frankly this is a bad approach IMO.

If Marner is seeking 12 to 13 million on a long term deal; and suppose Treliving signs this and Marner's camp also agrees to no NMCs/NTCs even then that is problematic IMO.

There has to be a team out there that values Marner at 12 to 13 AAV. Then with the signing bonus structure there has to be a team out there who will be able to accommodate such signing bonus structure in their finances.

I really don't think there are many teams out there who value marner at 12 to 13 AAV; and probably only a handful of teams who will be willing to pay significant chunk of his salary on July 1st every freakin' year of his contract.

As far as I am concerned this is a RISK which Leafs shouldn't take. If I was Treliving I WOULD NOT go this route.

Agreed, but without Marner knowing it, Treliving could be doing his due diligence homework behind the scenes currently .... Right now he is blocked by a NMC.

Teams interested in Marner's service have two obstacles, and that is completing a successful trade with Leafs GM that he would take, and also be prepared to meet Marner's future salary demands.

When the timing is right and BT has a trade he would accept he can then give that team permission to talk contract with Darren Farris directly even. BT however could also talk contract with Marner getting a good feel for his asking price on next contract to pass that info along to interested parties. Treliving would not re-sign him until he already had a firm commitment from another team on term, cost and price of assets exchanged in trade.

The real goal here is to complete a successful sign and trade deal (the sooner the better) where Marner is on board and then the current NMC becomes just a formality if all 3 sides can come to terms. My scenario was to show that from Marner's perspective IF the Leafs want to move on from him, it would be in Marner's best long-term interest to co-operate and participate because for him the end result is the same that his time in TO is over and he will be moving on and that is inevitable 1 way or the other.

PS. Don't forget about salary retention also where Leafs could agree to pick up a portion in order to facilitate a trade and even if it got to Marner with a new contract and no trade imminent (worst case scenario) without any trade protection a deal is still possible to see a successful trade without the contract being the issue. If the new team wants Marner at $10 mil AAV instead of $12 AAV then that becomes a part of the negotiation and factors into the exchange in the trade. Trading a re-signed Marner returns greater value then a 1 year rental and pending UFA would also to the other party as well when dealing away assets to obtain his services.

An 8th year (only possible for the Leafs to provide) otherwise it 7 years max could be a 8 year X $12.5 mil deal with a $2.5 mil Leafs retention, and a new team getting Mitch at 8 X $10 mil less than he makes now AAV. Just toss in pick(s) / prospects etc to compete a deal that Toronto would accept to offset retention costs/benefits.

Last edited:

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019

Trade Watch:

View attachment 883924
Interesting that 3 of those teams are warm sunny no tax states ;)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
From what I recall he was the one pushing for "run it back"

Dangle was a big Dubas ass kissser until the Bolts series (first time around) from what I recall. He still should have those videos up on the YouTube channel. Too lazy to look them up myself LOL

He was working for sportsnet and had access to locker room; so he played his cards right i.e. didn't malign the "run it back" narrative for a long time he basically repeated the Dubas/Shanny narrative and agreed with it

Lol… tell me you don’t listen to SPDN. Those guys have shitted on Dubas for quite a while. I don’t think any of them have been or big Dubas fans. I listen to them pretty regularly, they’ve been beating the move a core piece drum for a while now. It’s not just recent

You know whats really disgusting? They actually legitimately thought Dubas and Keefe were on the right track after the MTL series. It proved they have some warped sense of reality.

It was Covid, it’s hard to make an assessment of a season like that. So I will give the organization the benefit of the doubt for that one off-season. Everything after that, should have been a clear sign

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Except matthews is shit in the playoffs too
Maybe he becomes the best regular season scorer and continues his terrible playoff career
Matthews is the one who gets the extra time to see.
Look at Calgary. Tkachuk and Bennett with Gaudreau, Markstrom, Hanifin, Andersson achieved little more than us.

However just 2 together under a different build and team makeup are achieving more.
We should be changing the core around Matthews/Nylander and see what we can do.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I get it. I really do. I read enough posts by you guys all over HF to know that sometimes your hatred for each other and your team comes from love, and I understand. I'm all for you guys arguing all day and all night if you want. I just ask that you do it without calling each other dumbasses.
Its okay if we just think it though right? Asking for a friend

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
An 8th year (only possible for the Leafs to provide) otherwise it 7 years max could be a 8 year X $12.5 mil deal with a $2.5 mil Leafs retention, and a new team getting Mitch at 8 X $10 mil less than he makes now AAV. Just toss in pick(s) / prospects etc to compete a deal that Toronto would accept to offset retention costs/benefits.
You believe the Leafs would retain $2.5 million for EIGHT years?!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad