Player Discussion Mitch Marner

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
How is a new coach going to stop a player from being scared? He does not go after pucks lol
I watched the Panthers-Rangers game last night and it was incredible how every player was fighting for every square inch of ice. I got to thinking that Marner would never put that kind of fight into a playoff game. He'd be a complete non-factor in that kind of game. I truly believe he will never be that kind of player because he operates best when he has time and space.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of these 3 assholes making all the money, not leaving a cent and sucking ass in the playoffs. They are me first players. Not the kind that are endeared by most Leafs fans. All 3 can GTFO for all I care.
I agree, snd secretly I hope moving Marner butt hurts 34 and 88 into asking for trades, Marner’s nit the only floater, they’re all more or less the same spoiled divas, and the rest if the league knows it……..

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
It's one thing to run it back when you're the raps coming off a title, or the 2015 blue jays when the team was clearly a contender.

They don't deserve the contracts and haven't earned a 9th shot at it. It's not like we're maintaining excellence, we are maintaining failure and boosting free agent value who need lots of empty calorie points

Notice that we score 5 goals per game and in the playoffs we have to grind out 2-1 games?

Nobody should want to watch this a minute longer
The question is, does management feel the same way?

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
No they don’t . Without moving a large contract leafs cannot bring Domi and Bert back. You are forgetting Nylander and Matthews extensions kick in.
Doesn't the increase in the cap basically take care of the overage from those extensions?

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
Doesn't the increase in the cap basically take care of the overage from those extensions?
No the cap increase basically covers Nylander extension doesn’t cover Matthews. They have to shave about 1.6 mil to cover Matthews extension then it’s dollar in dollar out. Hence why I said no chance you can give Domi and Bert raises without moving a high priced salary.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I think it probably covers Nylander's increase, and that's about it.
The following is misleading, it includes Webber an unlikely player.
Only Woll for goaltenders.

1716654685594.png

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Don't know about you but I'm sick and tired of these 3 assholes making all the money, not leaving a cent and sucking ass in the playoffs. They are me first players. Not the kind that are endeared by most Leafs fans. All 3 can GTFO for all I care.
All players are me 1st. lol! If they weren’t they would all be playing for league minimum to help their team.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You want ME to weigh in on your interpretation of advanced stats? Quant isn't arithmetic. It is an analytical methodology. The obtuse need not apply because if I had a year, you wouldn't learn a thing based on your track record.
There you go skirting the question again and making it personal. I'll make it more clear, because you seem to be struggling with answering actual advanced stat questions.

This is an advanced stats professionals opinion on xgf% (not mine):

Question: What do you value more? GF% or xGF% or both, and why?
@MikeKellyNHL: Both are important. I place more value on expected goal differential in terms of understanding how well a player, a line or a team is playing from a process standpoint. This tends to affect GF% more than vice-versa. Over long samples, GF% will paint a fairly accurate picture but small sample, xGF% more indicative of play. It also eliminates the massive variable that is goaltending at both ends of the ice.

This is Marners xGF% with Matthews: 55.43%
This is Marners xGF% without Matthews: 46.73%
This is Matthews xGF% without Marner: 55.43%

Okay, now is the time to show your incredible advanced stats knowledge. What does this stat tell you?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
They easily do with Brodie and Samsonov coming off the cap. Whether it would be a good decision or not is a different story. If it were me, I would let Bertuzzi go.

They need to replace Brodie on d and Samsonov in net...Woll is promising, but his health is too unpredictable...Leafs should not be going into a new season without solid goaltending.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
They need to replace Brodie on d and Samsonov in net...Woll is promising, but his health is too unpredictable...Leafs should not be going into a new season without solid goaltending.
Recall I said last offseason when Brad signed Klingberg that I would have tried to grab a #1 goalie instead (adding a few more dollars perhaps).

Regardless, what's done is done. Yes, Leafs should be shopping for a #1 with term.

Reactions: Superstar

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I watched the Panthers-Rangers game last night and it was incredible how every player was fighting for every square inch of ice. I got to thinking that Marner would never put that kind of fight into a playoff game. He'd be a complete non-factor in that kind of game. I truly believe he will never be that kind of player because he operates best when he has time and space.
The core 4 got paid like champions period

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
They did. But they can stop it with the next guy.

Well after signing Matthews at 13.5 and Nylander 11.5. There’s no other option for Tre than trading Marner.

Marner will get traded just will it be before the season starts or at the trade deadline and they will also have to retain cap.

But will Tre make smart decisions after trading Marner and having capspace?

I’m just not sure based on the bad decision he has made already.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
There you go skirting the question again and making it personal. I'll make it more clear, because you seem to be struggling with answering actual advanced stat questions.

This is an advanced stats professionals opinion on xgf% (not mine):

This is Marners xGF% with Matthews: 55.43%
This is Marners xGF% without Matthews: 46.73%
This is Matthews xGF% without Marner: 55.43%

Okay, now is the time to show your incredible advanced stats knowledge. What does this stat tell you?

^^ nailed it.

For the record, he won't respond addressing the stats.
I have $100 on Paul ignoring stat he can't dispute and going straight for an insult.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
He used to be in junior and at the beginning of his NHL career under Babcock. Under Keefe everyone has been neutered a bit.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Interesting on 590 when they interviewed Berube he characterized his conversation with Marner as excellent and said they're both excited, called him a great player.

We are filling this team out with 1 x 1m vets. Own rental

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Interesting on 590 when they interviewed Berube he characterized his conversation with Marner as excellent and said they're both excited, called him a great player.
Whats exactly was interesting about it to you?

It's customary for coaches to reach out their players after being hired. Berube said he had reached out to most, prior to his press conference.

Gonna need more information on the interview:

1) What could Berube have done otherwise? Not call Marner because he doesn't think he will be on the team?

2) What's he supposed to say when these obvious questions are asked to him? "I didnt talk to him because he's going to he traded".

Remember Babs praising Phaneuf daily, until he was traded to Ottawa?

Reactions: Arzak and arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad