Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Would be nice if they find replacements asap so we don’t get another year or “he didn’t have enough time to do anything, can’t judge yet” so we have to just run it back with a couple minor UFA shuffles again.
I’m hoping Shanny’s replacement is already planned and feelers have gone out to Berube.

Regular season sizzle is great. Regular season is 7 months long, that is a long time to watch games and not have any sizzle. I’ve had a lot of feel good days over the 7 months because of sizzle.

Keep in mind I only can speak for myself and I do realize many don’t give a crap about the regular season. If I had the attitude regular season is some kind of farce I wouldn’t watch it. So I’m really at a loss for an explanation of why things are like they are.
Two different seasons. You can enjoy the regular season with a group of ballerinas but they won’t get you anywhere in the playoffs.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017

Kipper basically confirmed what I said and saw on x/twitter. Matthews was upset with Nylander because he and Marner wanted to run a specific set play off the faceoff for the PP and Nylander didn’t do something so the play didn’t work. Nylander tells Matthews to shut up and just shoot the puck it isn’t juniors. Insinuating that whatever play matthews and Marner wanted would work in juniors but not the NHL.

Has nothing to do with Marner falling and complaining to the refs. We need to stop chasing dumb narratives off a 30 second clip

@FerrisRox

Except Marner through his gloves down like a Pee Wee or is that a dumb narrative too.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
If Nylander said "stop f***ing crying" as seems to be the consensus then I'd bet a huge amount of money that he wasn't talking to Matthews.
Nah i think he was. As much as I wanted it to be Mitch imo Matty was cheesed about a play before and he's like stop f***ing crying and either he says shoot the puck or that's the issue everyone's just bitching or something to the effect.

CJ says Willy was mic'd up. What a doozy that sound byte would be if amazon puts it in LOL

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Nah, not buying that. No way he throws his gloves out of the blue, even if he was frustrated with himself unless he is a truly a child.

It’s fine, Nylander was mic’d the audio will come out. As I’ve said many people have already pretty much confirmed it wasn’t necessarily directed at mitch.

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Except Marner through his gloves down like a Pee Wee or is that a dumb narrative too.

What does the glove throwing have to do with what Willy said? Mitch threw his gloves in frustration of the overall situation. Like use your brain and put two and two together, Matthews was bitching about the PP and complaining not Marner, so obviously Willy was talking to Matthews. Yes we get it, everyone wishes it was directed towards Mitch, sorry but that isn’t the case here. People are wrong on this

Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What’s the team friendly deal you have in mind? Does he keep the C ?
Let him keep it. I don't care about the "C".

$5M/yr for 3 years.

What does the glove throwing have to do with what Willy said? Mitch threw his gloves in frustration of the overall situation. Like use your brain and put two and two together, Matthews was bitching about the PP and complaining not Marner, so obviously Willy was talking to Matthews. Yes we get it, everyone wishes it was directed towards Mitch, sorry but that isn’t the case here. People are wrong on this
You've convinced me - being sincere, not sarcastic.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Let him keep it. I don't care about the "C".

$5M/yr for 3 years.

You've convinced me - being sincere, not sarcastic.

Just the fact that you many media members walking back their comments today tells you everything. Even on spitting Chicklets they pretty much admitted that it looks like it’s possible willy was actually yelling at matthews. And CJ’a comments today made it seem like it’s not certain Willy’s comments were directed at Marner. Hopefully the mic audio Willy was wearing comes out and we hear the conversation.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Just the fact that you many media members walking back their comments today tells you everything. Even on spitting Chicklets they pretty much admitted that it looks like it’s possible willy was actually yelling at matthews. And CJ’a comments today made it seem like it’s not certain Willy’s comments were directed at Marner. Hopefully the mic audio Willy was wearing comes out and we hear the conversation.
So, the next question is : Is Matthews playing tomorrow night?

Not that he will care but, if he doesn't, I will lose all respect for the guy.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So, the next question is : Is Matthews playing tomorrow night?

Not that he will care but, if he doesn't, I will lose all respect for the guy.

No idea, Dewar wasn’t a place holder for him. So maybe he’s not playing. Hate to speculate but maybe he has the Nova virus or corona and is contagious. That’s really the only situation that makes sense and they can’t release that information. But things from the leafs standpoint has been weird.

They are losing on the ice and the PR battle

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
No idea, Dewar wasn’t a place holder for him. So maybe he’s not playing. Hate to speculate but maybe he has the Nova virus or corona and is contagious. That’s really the only situation that makes sense and they can’t release that information. But things from the leafs standpoint has been weird.

They are losing on the ice and the PR battle
Minus fans here, Leaf Nation has become indifferent to them winning or losing - that's the scary part. It's just expected.

Anyway, I am off, F246. Have a great night and good luck to the boys - they'll need it. :)

Reactions: francis246

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I may well agree with what you say, all I’m saying is I enjoy winning most of the time during 7 long months of winter hockey. So doing well during the regular season is important to me. Sure the playoffs are a downer and they are more intense but that only lasts a few weeks and it’s over. Yes I’d like to win a Cup as well but at the expense of watching some boring ass game all winter I probably wouldn’t care anymore.
Very well said, i hadn't thought of that angle, but it raises a good point..

Insert... Captain kirk smirk.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

“Stop f***ing crying bro, this is the f***ing issue, guys f***ing pissed about shit”

Just to end the debate haha, more of these videos coming out. Seems like Nylander didn’t even mention juniors. Either way, I’ll give it a rest now. We’ll just hope for the audio to come out or for Bertuzzi to say what happened.

Go leafs go, let’s get a good win tonight, hopefully Mitch and Willy play great.

Reactions: ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

“Stop f***ing crying bro, this is the f***ing issue, guys f***ing pissed about shit”

Just to end the debate haha, more of these videos coming out. Seems like Nylander didn’t even mention juniors. Either way, I’ll give it a rest now. We’ll just hope for the audio to come out or for Bertuzzi to say what happened.

Go leafs go, let’s get a good win tonight, hopefully Mitch and Willy play great.

In that video the creator indicates the argument caught on video was following a shift where there were two possible plays that caused the argument, they were:

1) A possible non shot by Nylander and the other
2) a Marner dive in front of the net where he complains to the ref and wants a call and quits playing hockey.

The Nylander non shot doesnt make sense to be that angry over because it's not a dangerous shot opportunity that he passed up on. Pause the video at 4:33, you see that Nylander had pretty much no options... the Bruins had the shot lane clogged and they had all Leafs within arm reach. Either impeccable defense by the Bruins or very stupid offense by Toronto.

It makes more sense that Matthews/Nylander were pissed at Marner for folding onto the ice and whining about a non call a little later on that same shift. Additionally, it makes sense that Nylander would say, "quit $%cken whining bro (to the refs)", also would make sense if he said "this isnt juniors (pro hockey is physical)".. why would Marner slam his gloves down if it were Nylander and Matthews who were arguing?

Reactions: saffronleaf

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It makes more sense that Matthews/Nylander were pissed at Marner for folding onto the ice and whining about a non call a little later on that same shift. Additionally, it makes sense that Nylander would say, "quit $%cken whining bro (to the refs)", also would make sense if he said "this isnt juniors (pro hockey is physical)".. why would Marner slam his gloves down if it were Nylander and Matthews who were arguing?

Perhaps engaging in childlike behavior comes with his overall juvenile disposition.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Kipper basically confirmed what I said and saw on x/twitter. Matthews was upset with Nylander because he and Marner wanted to run a specific set play off the faceoff for the PP and Nylander didn’t do something so the play didn’t work. Nylander tells Matthews to shut up and just shoot the puck it isn’t juniors. Insinuating that whatever play matthews and Marner wanted would work in juniors but not the NHL.

Has nothing to do with Marner falling and complaining to the refs. We need to stop chasing dumb narratives off a 30 second clip

Let's assume this is true, it makes Marner tossing the gloves even more pathetic.

Reactions: supermann_98

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nah, not buying that. No way he throws his gloves out of the blue, even if he was frustrated with himself unless he is a truly a child.
It's no different than breaking a stick, slamming a door, taking a dumb penalty. Players do these things out of frustration all the time.
When they do nothing they don't care, when they do something they're childish.

Many of the comments in this thread are far more juvenile than tossing gloves out of frustration.

Last edited:

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nah i think he was. As much as I wanted it to be Mitch imo Matty was cheesed about a play before and he's like stop f***ing crying and either he says shoot the puck or that's the issue everyone's just bitching or something to the effect.

CJ says Willy was mic'd up. What a doozy that sound byte would be if amazon puts it in LOL
I’d be surprised if William wanted Marner to just shoot the puck. Marner?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It's no different than breaking a stick, slamming a door, taking a dumb penalty. Players do these things out of frustration all the time.

Many of the comments in this thread are far more juvenile than tossing gloves out of frustration.

1714472282780.gif

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Let's assume this is true, it makes Marner tossing the gloves even more pathetic.

Can’t disagree with you there. But honestly at least he shows some emotion. And he at least went right out the next period and scored (a little too late) The rest of the guys just sit there like this shit doesn’t matter.

Reactions: Eternal Leaf

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Agreed, he’s showing emotion, which isn’t a bad thing. People just don’t like Marner so it’s easy to pile on him.

I do think Nylanders comments to Matthews is a deeper concern of the overall issues within the locker room. It seems like the star guys, bitch when stuff doesn’t go their way or doesn’t go right and it’s why Nylander said what he said. The issue is these guys constantly get mad at everything and start yelling and frustration sets in. I do think it’s time for a change, you gotta reset the room, get a new coach in there that has the respect of the players as well.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Not defending Marner here as we don’t know what happened, but doesn’t he change his gloves multiple times a period? I seem to recall seeing that. It doesn’t excuse slamming the gloves but he tosses them behind him at other times too, just not with that much ooopf.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed, he’s showing emotion, which isn’t a bad thing. People just don’t like Marner so it’s easy to pile on him.

I do think Nylanders comments to Matthews is a deeper concern of the overall issues within the locker room. It seems like the star guys, bitch when stuff doesn’t go their way or doesn’t go right and it’s why Nylander said what he said. The issue is these guys constantly get mad at everything and start yelling and frustration sets in. I do think it’s time for a change, you gotta reset the room, get a new coach in there that has the respect of the players as well.
Agree that there's nothing wrong with showing emotion and IMO the issue is more like these guys don't get mad enough often enough.

Anyhow, not a big deal, not to me anyway. Heat of the moment, people say stuff, it doesn't matter. I'm not the biggest Marner fan around but I think too much has been made of this incident. Marner scored a nice goal later, it's just too bad it was too little too late instead of a game winner making him a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad