Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
None of the 'core four' have really lived up to expectations offensively in the playoffs during their Leafs tenures. Seems silly to scapegoat Marner when he's been the most consistently productive of the bunch.

PlayerGPGAPP/GP
Nylander511723400.78
Matthews532324470.89
Marner541138490.91
Tavares351211230.68
Except for the biggest coward part.

The powerplay and breakout run through him, obviously he’s going to rack up more assists than the rest when he gets a touch on every single zone entry and cycle back to the point, that doesn’t mean he’s creating more offense than the others. He has by far the least goals because he’s afraid of getting anywhere close to the net.

That’s the real issue here, Keefe has too many of our systems depend on Marner performing at a high level, when he wilts in the playoffs like he always does, it simultaneously nukes our PP, PK, and transition. There’s a reason our special teams are consistently garbage in the playoffs, there’s a reason our top 6 gets hemmed in our own zone and destroyed by counterpunch offense when we do get set up. The guy with the most touches on the puck is wildly unreliable under any sort of pressure.
THIS^.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I wouldn't care if they traded both Marner and Nylander.

But if it comes down to one or the other I hope they keep Nylander. For one thing he's my favorite target. He's also turned into a pretty hockey player these last few years.

At this point there really isn't much difference between the two.

I also don't like Marner's personality. He comes across as condescending and adversarial. Not a good look for a player of his status.

On the other hand there's not too many sound bites from Nylander that can be used against him.

You can trust me on that one. Marner is a gold mine. The only one better is Keefe.

I'm really gonna miss these guys when they're gone.

Reactions: yubbers and arso40

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They signed nylander to a looooonnnggggggg contract.

It’s Marner who is without a contract after next year.

I wouldnt consider that a sign of commitment.

They signed Kessel to an eight year deal before trading him too. Treliving is on record saying the biggest obstacle to trading Nylander last year was that he didn't have a contract. And anyone saying these NMC's mean the player can't, or won't, be traded is just fooling themselves and nobody else.

Besides, now that the fans have started booing, it's only a matter of time they give these guys the Larry Murphy treatment and they'll be begging to get traded.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Well, who would want Marner at McDavid money

They retained $1.2M on the Kessel deal for eight years

When it's tike for a divorce the kick in the coin purse is secondary consideration. You try to get out with the most you can. But sometimes you gotta pay more than you want.

Figuring this stuff out is why Treliving gets paid the big bucks.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Remember Dougie, interveinous the night after the game, remember his spinning around behind the net, remember the passion, remember the effort, remember the team and leadership, remember the sacrifice, remember the cheers, the adulation, the love. Remember 160 lbs soaking wet. Remember the crowd demanding penalties. Remember where you were with Gretzky highstick.
The only similarity is you might remember when you saw Mitchy throw his gloves on the ground like my 4 yr old grandson.
Fu Mitchy, you have 1 game to save your life long reputation.

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
I may be in the minority here, but I don’t see Marner’s NMC as an insurmountable obstacle to moving him. We’ve seen over the last few years how agitated he has become over what he feels has been unfair criticism from fans and media alike.

Now imagine the Leafs are unceremoniously expelled from the playoffs tomorrow night, and let’s imagine further that a large part of the showing is due to a pathetic performance from Marner in particular.

At that point, all Treliving (and perhaps Pelley) has to do is sit him down and calmly tell him that he believes it’s in everyone’s best interest for him to move on. And possibly allude to the vitriol that is certainly headed his way from fans and media, due largely in part to the raise he’ll undoubtedly be seeking mere months after what we’ve all witnessed over the last four games in particular, and that it will almost certainly be unlike anything he’s experienced thus far.

Marner can be persuaded to waive his clause. And if done correctly, I don’t believe it will be particularly difficult to accomplish either.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I may be in the minority here, but I don’t see Marner’s NMC as an insurmountable obstacle to moving him. We’ve seen over the last few years how agitated he has become over what he feels has been unfair criticism from fans and media alike.

Now imagine the Leafs are unceremoniously expelled from the playoffs tomorrow night, and let’s imagine further that a large part of the showing is due to a pathetic performance from Marner in particular.

At that point, all Treliving (and perhaps Pelley) has to do is sit him down and calmly tell him that he believes it’s in everyone’s best interest for him to move on. And possibly allude to the vitriol that is certainly headed his way from fans and media, due largely in part to the raise he’ll undoubtedly be seeking mere months after what we’ve all witnessed over the last four games in particular, and that it will almost certainly be unlike anything he’s experienced thus far.

Marner can be persuaded to waive his clause. And if done correctly, I don’t believe it will be particularly difficult to accomplish either.
Mitchy will only do what Daddy says to to, just like in bantam.
Give daddy money, a new pair of water skis for Lake Muskoka and GM Yukon and Mitchy will be gone.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
he should really go to WC next week. Tryouts for the olympics and can show off some skill on big ice to save face.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

YUP.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
he should really go to WC next week. Tryouts for the olympics and can show off some skill on big ice to save face.

Leafs core outside of Nylander really missed out on those World Championship experiences, learning from other NHLers and getting some ideas, more big game reps and bring some positives back from other teams. It's so obvious these guys were brought up in one franchise that gave them one message and they're so fragile.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I think Brian Burke was on some podcast recently and told a story about Kaberle's no trade that he didnt want to waive, and Burke told his agent that he would just sit him and not play him. Then Kaberle agreed to go to Boston.

I see the same thing happening with Marner, where he will give a limited number of teams.

Maybe we can fleece Dubas? Pens have anybody good?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What does that have to do with anything? The argument didn’t seem like it had anything to do with whining. It looked like it was about getting pucks through and open looks. Nothing about whining. I don’t know why you feel the need to throw in whining.
I don’t think so. Mitchy was even whining during the all star game

Kipper basically confirmed what I said and saw on x/twitter. Matthews was upset with Nylander because he and Marner wanted to run a specific set play off the faceoff for the PP and Nylander didn’t do something so the play didn’t work. Nylander tells Matthews to shut up and just shoot the puck it isn’t juniors. Insinuating that whatever play matthews and Marner wanted would work in juniors but not the NHL.

Has nothing to do with Marner falling and complaining to the refs. We need to stop chasing dumb narratives off a 30 second clip

@FerrisRox

Reactions: mjd1001 and ACC1224

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

Kipper basically confirmed what I said and saw on x/twitter. Matthews was upset with Nylander because he and Marner wanted to run a specific set play off the faceoff for the PP and Nylander didn’t do something so the play didn’t work. Nylander tells Matthews to shut up and just shoot the puck it isn’t juniors. Insinuating that whatever play matthews and Marner wanted would work in juniors but not the NHL.

Has nothing to do with Marner falling and complaining to the refs. We need to stop chasing dumb narratives off a 30 second clip

@FerrisRox

i question kipper's ability to comprehend things when people speak directly to him. lip reading based on snippets?... idk

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
i question kipper's ability to comprehend things when people speak directly to him. lip reading based on snippets?... idk

Pretty sure kipper was told this information, not lip reading. But anyone who watched the game and saw the sequence before can piece it together that, that is the truth of what happened. Matthews had the puck and was looking for a play and didn’t shoot it on the PP. Nylander was 100% talking to Matthews not Marner

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Pretty sure kipper was told this information, not lip reading. But anyone who watched the game and saw the sequence before can piece it together that, that is the truth of what happened. Matthews had the puck and was looking for a play and didn’t shoot it on the PP. Nylander was 100% talking to Matthews not Marner

that you think it's 100% makes me doubt what you have to say

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
that you think it's 100% makes me doubt what you have to say

Again I posted this all day today, it’s not just kipper. You have fans on Twitter who were sitting behind the leafs bench saying Matthews and Nylander were yelling at each other. Mitch was not involved in the exchange. Idk what more proof you need man. Even Mitch’s comments support this. He said they were discussing a play that didn’t happen. So Kippers notes on what he heard supports it, so does those who were at the game behind the bench. He threw his gloves because the guys/team were imploding and clearly he doesn’t really have the best responses when shit hits the fan.

Idk why people are obsessed about making this a story about Mitch. The iso cam kinda did him dirty and didn’t show the whole picture but the truth/context behind the exchange is slowly coming out. It’s okay that fans were wrong about this one. His efforts weren’t great but it wasn’t the topic of discussion there. PP set play was.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If Nylander said "stop f***ing crying" as seems to be the consensus then I'd bet a huge amount of money that he wasn't talking to Matthews.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If Nylander said "stop f***ing crying" as seems to be the consensus then I'd bet a huge amount of money that he wasn't talking to Matthews.

Gary, Matthews was literally on the bench BITCHING for 3 straight minutes at Nylander lol. Why are people ignoring that fact?

There is anecdotal evidence, Marner didn’t say anything in that exchange. Also the cameras didn’t show Marner saying anything. He was just sitting in the middle with Bertuzzi while Matthews and Nylander went back and forth.

Just because he said stop crying and people call Mitch a cry baby doesn’t mean those two things are connected lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad