Player Discussion Mitch Marner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
If they wanted to trade Marner for assets, Shanahan should have traded him years ago.

As for offensive weapons, there is free agency to go along with a couple of young players.

Knies McDavid Nylander
Bertuzzi Matthews Cowan
McJesus isn't coming here.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Mitch settling for McDavid and Mackinnon AAV's... maybe he can get that in Columbus where offensive careers go to die.
Just making it clear that I don't agree with it, but the 1.5m annual raise I think is what his camp is going to aim for, similar to Matthews. I thought Marner's current contract was insane the second it was announced, he's an 8.5m player to me.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Regular season sizzle is great. Regular season is 7 months long, that is a long time to watch games and not have any sizzle. I’ve had a lot of feel good days over the 7 months because of sizzle.

Keep in mind I only can speak for myself and I do realize many don’t give a crap about the regular season. If I had the attitude regular season is some kind of farce I wouldn’t watch it. So I’m really at a loss for an explanation of why things are like they are.
In every sport there is a time where the heart rises to the top - typically when everything is on the line... soccer, golf, etc..

Guys like MM have difficulties playing in the playoffs bc every play must be earned. Every player gives that extra which speeds the game up, quickens the decision making, shortens the gaps. This forces MM and the like to have to work harder to match (they never learned, glided along on skill alone) but he doesn't have it in him - his whole game is predicated on fanciness which is great for 82 games of slightly less intense hockey , but when the heart players kick into overdrive that extra gear doesn't exist.

Bare in mind.. trickster softies is effective when you catch a different team every other night, but when you face a 7 game series the other team sees everything in game 1.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Yes.
The way I read it was that he could make someone pay what he wants.

Sorry, if my interpretation was incorrect.

He can't force anything.

He wouldn't be sitting out though.
Fair enough. I could see him sitting out until someone pays him what he wants. And, yes, it could come back to haunt him.

If GM's got smart and no one offered him more that $9M, I don't see him playing until someone does.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Mitch settling for McDavid and Mackinnon AAV's... maybe he can get that in Columbus where offensive careers go to die.
You’d think Columbus would learn from the Gaudreau situation

I don’t think Marner touches 12 even on the open market. Maybe 11.5 max, which just makes nylanders contract so confusing

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
In every sport there is a time where the heart rises to the top - typically when everything is on the line... soccer, golf, etc..

Guys like MM have difficulties playing in the playoffs bc every play must be earned. Every player gives that extra which speeds the game up, quickens the decision making, shortens the gaps. This forces MM and the like to have to work harder to match (they never learned, glided along on skill alone) but he doesn't have it in him - his whole game is predicated on fanciness which is great for 82 games of slightly less intense hockey , but when the heart players kick into overdrive that extra gear doesn't exist.

Bear in mind.. trickster softies is effective when you catch a different team every other night, but when you face a 7 game series the other team sees everything in game 1.

Bare in mind.. trickster softies is effective when you catch a different team every other night, but when you face a 7 game series the other team sees everything in game 1.
I may well agree with what you say, all I’m saying is I enjoy winning most of the time during 7 long months of winter hockey. So doing well during the regular season is important to me. Sure the playoffs are a downer and they are more intense but that only lasts a few weeks and it’s over. Yes I’d like to win a Cup as well but at the expense of watching some boring ass game all winter I probably wouldn’t care anymore.

Reactions: themilosh

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think we'll know quickly whether the Leafs are ready for change or not if Shanahan is fired or not. If Shanahan is back then the joke still hasn't reached the punchline.
Hopefully it was an inside long con joke on all of us fans, and somehow they roar back to the finals!

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I may well agree with what you say, all I’m saying is I enjoy winning most of the time during 7 long months of winter hockey. So doing well during the regular season is important to me. Sure the playoffs are a downer and they are more intense but that only lasts a few weeks and it’s over. Yes I’d like to win a Cup as well but at the expense of watching some boring ass game all winter I probably wouldn’t care anymore.
You're absolutely right. Any fan who says regular season success is unimportant didn't follow the Leafs in the lost decade of the 80s.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Right, so Nylander was telling a player that never played Junior this isn't f***ing Junior and then the guy he wasn't talking to had a tantrum and threw his gloves. Then after the game, the player he wasn't talking to was interviewed about the incident.

You can't possibly believe that.

Matthews literally played in the USHL which is juniors. It’s a direct competitor of the CHL as the American junior league. Think before you speak. People on Twitter literally said Matthews was the one bitching for 5 minutes. Marner didn’t say a word during the whole exchange. You saw a 30 second clip where we don’t even see who Nylander was talking to. Compared to people who were sitting right behind the bench and are giving a first hand account of what happen. Matthews and Nylander were going at it, with Nylander telling Matthews to shoot the puck. Marner on that PP was net front, didn’t even have the puck at all. Marner and Bertuzzi were in the middle. Marner throwing his gloves seemed to be more of a response to realizing the team is falling apart not necessarily him getting bitched out.

Additionally Matthews didn’t even take post game interviews because he’s sick? So what’s your point? Marner was asked because he was in the middle and the only one of the three made available. If they other two were available they would have been asked as well.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Right, so Nylander was telling a player that never played Junior this isn't f***ing Junior and then the guy he wasn't talking to had a tantrum and threw his gloves. Then after the game, the player he wasn't talking to was interviewed about the incident.

You can't possibly believe that.

Did we get the entire conversation, because yes, marner came up through junior hockey. Matthews and Nylander both played men's hockey before being drafted.

All under a lot of stress.

I wonder if any of the three are 100%, marner ankle, Matthews sick, Nylander coming off illness.

Reactions: Confucius
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad