Mitch Marner vs Johnny Hockey

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not close. Johnny Hockey. Could change in the future but based on what we’ve seen to date it's not even close.
JG has the higher ceiling imo.
A bit unfair poll though given their ages and Marners career high of 69 points in two seasons compared to JGs finish in the top scorers.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
It's kind of funny how many "player X vs Leaf player" there is in the poll section. I'm not sure there is a team out there where the non-fans are as obsessed with the team (in one way or another) as the actual fans.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If the two were to swap teams, I imagine Gaudreeau would be off to just as hot a start.

Not sure if Marner puts up 8pts in 4 games with Calgary.

Which is more an indictment of Calgary than it is of Marner, who is certainly making the best of an advantageous situation.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I have been watching Marner since junior.

He does not have the skill level or vision Gaudreau has. Watch the things Gaudreau does behind the net to people. His assist last night on the Lindholm goal was something he does every game... not close. Gaudreau>>>>

Maybe Gaudreau is ahead because he's 4 or 5 year older...?

Gaudreau was basically the same quality player at 20 as Marner last year when he was 20.

I take Marner because I think he will hit a higher ceiling. They are basically even, though.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Same story as the past couple of years.... “Marner will be better this season...”

Realistically how many people actually watch the Flames play (leaf fans) when the game is at 9, 10 or 10:30pm EST?

Canada is fed Leaf media content down the throats.

I set the bias that we all have for our own players, but holy **** does Gaudreau get underrated in these polls against leafs players by leaf fans.

How many Flames fans are watching the Leafs while stuck in traffic coming home from work? Goes both ways. Don't give me this Leaf media BS everyone has access to highlights.

Although I was going to comment about how in this day and age, it's possible there is no clear answer. Just had to call this out.

Reactions: Kelly

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Gaudreau has a edge right now. The dudes so ****ing hard to contain lol. Hes been driving Calgary's offence for years. I doubt monahan sniffs 30 without Gaudreau.

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Marner has closed the gap so much, but I can’t choose him until I see consistent PPG seasons.

If he can, I would definitely choose him over Gaudreau on solely age since they are so dang identical.

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
JG for now, dude is mad skilled. I think it's possible for MM to catch up/overtake but watching JG you can see the skill and how he drives the play (not to mention has had an 80p+ season).

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Same story as the past couple of years.... “Marner will be better this season...”

Realistically how many people actually watch the Flames play (leaf fans) when the game is at 9, 10 or 10:30pm EST?

Canada is fed Leaf media content down the throats.

I set the bias that we all have for our own players, but holy **** does Gaudreau get underrated in these polls against leafs players by leaf fans.
Nobody is saying Gaudreau sucks, he is a phenomenal player.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marner is younger and plays on a really good offensive team. That’s his only advantage here. JG is the better player. Just a more dynamic player who drives a line by himself. One of the best small players I’ve seen in a while. I don’t count MSL as small as he had tree trunk legs. :laugh:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
If the two were to swap teams, I imagine Gaudreeau would be off to just as hot a start.

Which is more an indictment of Calgary than it is of Marner, who is certainly making the best of an advantageous situation.
Marner put up back to back seasons of 60 points while JG was in college at the same age. Marner's career is tracking better than JG's was at this point.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Marner put up back to back seasons of 60 points while JG was in college at the same age. Marner's career is tracking better than JG's was at this point.

Marner put up more points than Martin St.louis at the same age, is he going to be a 4x Art Ross winner because he's better at the same age?

Yeah, no? That's what I thought.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
JG is pretty easily better. Marner doesn't even have a 70 point season yet, while Gaudreau has an 80+ point season. Plus, Marner has much better teammates/linemates.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

If Gaudreau was on Toronto he would have a field day, he would outscore Marner pretty easily I think. His 21 year old self wouldn't though.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
When using ppg (point per game) as your stats, I thought you'd be able to figure out that amount of games played is irrelevant.
He didn’t use points per game as stats. And how is it irrelevant? Smaller sample sizes are less accurate than larger ones. Common sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad