Mitch Marner Vs Brady Tkachuk for the future

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which player do you take for the future?

• Neutral fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 99 47.8%
  • Neutral fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 46 22.2%
  • Ottawa fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • Ottawa fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Toronto fan take Brady Tkachuk

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Toronto fan take Mitch Marner

Votes: 21 10.1%

• Total voters

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Explain to me how Hfboards ‘would rather’ have Brady and Stutzle than Matthews and Marner (supported by poll results) but Ottawa has both of those players and the team f***ing sucks.

Explain that ‘logic’ to me, because it doesn’t make any sense

Effectively, logic doesn't seem to be your forte. You're mixing up team results in a 19 players per team game in a thread designed to make individual comparisons.

Here is a simple thing for you to understand.

The answer of ‘cheaper is automatically better’ just sounds like you don’t want the best players available. Why would anyone choose a worse player? Because better players make more money?

Huh?

This is why Stutzle +5m in cap space became such a meme. Contracts can be relevant but when you’re talking about an actual superstar in the prime of their career vs a not even all star level player the difference isn’t $5m in cap space

I never seen anyone say "cheaper is automatically better". You are acting like there isn't varying degrees of quantifications. Not my fault if you can't follow logical arguments.

The Leafs players are better, everyone agrees, but they are not 8 M$ AAV more per year and 6 contract years less better

And the Sens players were 21 and 24 y/o last season, compared to 26 y/o for the Leafs players... there is most likely a prime angle too...

Can you name the last time a player not great defensively developed into a Selke finalist? How often does that happen?

But the point I am making there is Matthews brings a lot of value in ways a lot of people choose to ignore when measuring players like this

Are you telling me Matthews was great defensively right away? :oops:

And where did I say that Stutzle will develop into a Selke finalist? Or that he would absolutely need to to be compared to Matthews?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Are you telling me Matthews was great defensively right away? :oops:

And where did I say that Stutzle will develop into a Selke finalist? Or that he would absolutely need to to be compared to Matthews?

...Yes? Look up his scouting reports in his draft year. He came into the league already very responsible.

1. Auston Matthews, C, Zurich Lions (NLA)​

968bf1b19ed342946050e5e115172ba4_crop_exact.jpg

YURI KADOBNOV/Getty Images

Who Is His Comparable? Auston Matthews of the Zurich Lions is a complete prospect, which makes him comparable to a complete center such as Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings. Matthews is that rare player who can be projected into all areas of the game, thanks to his size (6'2", 194 lbs), skill and speed.
How Are They Similar? Young players normally need some time to develop the defensive side of their game, and that will likely be true, but Matthews has that ability. Kopitar's career took that route—he scored well as a young man and then developed his two-way game while maintaining his offense. That may well be Matthews' path as an impact player.

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
...Yes? Look up his scouting reports in his draft year. He came into the league already very responsible.

1. Auston Matthews, C, Zurich Lions (NLA)​

968bf1b19ed342946050e5e115172ba4_crop_exact.jpg

YURI KADOBNOV/Getty Images

Who Is His Comparable? Auston Matthews of the Zurich Lions is a complete prospect, which makes him comparable to a complete center such as Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings. Matthews is that rare player who can be projected into all areas of the game, thanks to his size (6'2", 194 lbs), skill and speed.​

How Are They Similar? Young players normally need some time to develop the defensive side of their game, and that will likely be true, but Matthews has that ability. Kopitar's career took that route—he scored well as a young man and then developed his two-way game while maintaining his offense. That may well be Matthews' path as an impact player.​

You're serious with this? lol

Look at the other names in that article and the comparisons

And didn't know that "very responsible" meant "great defensively"

Ok thanks!

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
That is absolutely hilarious if that is what they mean!

Imagine bragging about the wins you got in a series you lost! If that's what he means, that is one of the funniest flexes I've ever seen here!

I hope you're right!

Hey now, three playoff wins a year x 8 (excruciating) years adds up! That's more than the 16 you need to win the cup.

And yet, do we get a title? A banner? No!

Explanation? Anti-Leaf bias. Has to be.

( :sarcasm: )

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Effectively, logic doesn't seem to be your forte. You're mixing up team results in a 19 players per team game in a thread designed to make individual comparisons.

Interesting, so how many other maple leafs players would Stutzle and Tkachuk need to play with until they’re as good as Matthews and Marner?

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
That is absolutely hilarious if that is what they mean!

Imagine bragging about the wins you got in a series you lost! If that's what he means, that is one of the funniest flexes I've ever seen here!

I hope you're right!
It’s not bragging or flexing, I’ve been critical of their playoff performances. With the resources and assets they have they should have won a lot more…it’s more just pointing out the fact that they are not one of the worst playoff teams in the league like people in this thread are suggesting, if that were the case they would not be in the top half of the league in playoff games won. Again, not bragging, they should have won more but they are still better than all the teams that win less.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
It’s not bragging or flexing, I’ve been critical of their playoff performances. With the resources and assets they have they should have won a lot more…it’s more just pointing out the fact that they are not one of the worst playoff teams in the league like people in this thread are suggesting, if that were the case they would not be in the top half of the league in playoff games won. Again, not bragging, they should have won more but they are still better than all the teams that win less.

Problem is the playoff format is measured in series wins. Game totals are pretty irrelevant when they amount to one series win in 8 attempts.

The title of "worst" can easily apply to the team that gets the most attempts and the most losses. Most of our "competitors" don't make the playoffs with the same regularity.

I'm a Leafs fan, but let's not sugarcoat our disappointment. They can't close out a series.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Problem is the playoff format is measured in series wins. Game totals are pretty irrelevant when they amount to one series win in 8 attempts.

The title of "worst" can easily apply to the team that gets the most attempts and the most losses. Most of our "competitors" don't make the playoffs with the same regularity.

I'm a Leafs fan, but let's not sugarcoat our disappointment. They can't close out a series.
I get that, that’s why teams like Vegas, Colorado, Florida, Boston, Dallas, Edmonton, Bostonare all better playoff teams than the Leafs but all the fans of all those other shit teams that don’t win as many playoff games or series than the Leafs like Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit ect need to accept the fact that the Leafs have outperformed them in the playoffs. The worst playoff performers are the ones that don’t even make the playoffs

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Marner in the playoffs drops from a 100 point player to an 80 point player (and he has outscored his opponents 20-11 on the ice in the playoffs over the last 3 years).

Brady Tkachuk IS an 80 point player.

Marner's apparently drops so significantly in the playoffs, and yet his production there is STILL equal to Tkachuk's.

Regardless of his individual statistics there is a big cloud over Marner when it comes to playoff performance and lack of results. We don't even have to argue whether the criticism of playoff performance is justified, it's there regardless of what we individually think. That playoff experience he has had has become a burden and not an asset, that was simply my point.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Really, really subjective, and largely influenced by team need.

I could see a team in a position like Washington wanting a guy like Marner to help Ovi’s push just like I could see the Knights contemplating what Tkachuk would look like next to Eichel, and accepting a case of whippets for Ivan Barbashev just to vacate his spot & cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad