Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Anaheim and jersey would be the best fit.

Anaheim has 33 million to spend. They could add Marner and 2 top 4 D.

Gauthier. Leo. Marner
Killorn. Zegras. Terry
Vatrano. Mac. Strome

Skej. Pesce
Pav. Fowler
Zell. Gudas.

NJD. Have 15 million to spend on 1 goalie and 1 rw

Meier. Hughes. Bratt
Palat Nico. Marner

Would be great.

Would all depend on where he wants to go

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I feel like there is a recurring thread in big canadian markets that your best player gets dumped on (and sometimes run out of town) if he:
  • is talented but doesn't get his nose bloody in the playoffs
  • is granted a C purely on talent instead of leadership
  • can't do it all on his own or motivate the others enough
  • doesnt do desperation saves in nets very often (despite this being a result of great positionning)
  • can't win the cup on his own despite being generally known as the best goalie in the world for about 3-5 years and winning just about every other trophy.
I mean.. we dont even rag on opponent's players as much as our own.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
LA has 20 mill to finish out their roster which includes 5 forwards, 2 d and 2 goalies, so that's unlikely.

Carolina needs 5 forwards, 3 d, so very possible, but Carolina has some real good RFAs and UFAs.

Dallas needs 2 forwards, 3d and 1 goalie.

Islanders don't really have much in terms of assets. They need a handful of players and only have 5 mill.

Capitals don't have much unless they're trading Leonard. Caps are over the cap for next season, but that might not include Backstrom and Oshie may LTIRetire

Blues have the assets and cap space to go for it.

Any deal where a team is trading for Marner is almost certainly going to have some form of roster players coming back for the Leafs. It's also a very easy 1-year retention for a 3rd party considering his salary is league minimum.

A team would likely get to add him at $5.5m for this year, with a year to "work into" his bigger cap hit.

I would add Vegas, Utah and New Jersey to your list. He wouldn't go to Washington imo. They will be on a hard downturn for quite a while.....

Yeah New Jersey would probably make a fair bit of sense as well. I feel like Vegas would be on Marner's list, but probably not able ot pay him what he's going to want to be paid as a UFA.

Utah -- I suspect they'd be a team hard after him, and there's a ton of potential fit there, but I can't see Marner wanting to go there.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Any deal where a team is trading for Marner is almost certainly going to have some form of roster players coming back for the Leafs. It's also a very easy 1-year retention for a 3rd party considering his salary is league minimum.

A team would likely get to add him at $5.5m for this year, with a year to "work into" his bigger cap hit.

Yeah New Jersey would probably make a fair bit of sense as well. I feel like Vegas would be on Marner's list, but probably not able ot pay him what he's going to want to be paid as a UFA.

Utah -- I suspect they'd be a team hard after him, and there's a ton of potential fit there, but I can't see Marner wanting to go there.
Vegas magically seems to fit almost any player they choose. Also they could send back a player to help fit him in. 11 Million in Toronto is likely 9.5 in Vegas.

As for Utah, well if he wants a quiet place to play and hide in plain view...thats the one no?

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
What about something like Necas, Orlov, plus first round pick for Marner, assuming Carolina loses to the Rangers (no money retained)?

It gives the Canes more scoring creativity and gives the Leafs one year of D man and a solid skilled rw.

I think Marner is massively skilled, but with his playoff performances, only 1 year til UFA and big contract make it where I don't think he gets fair market value.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
If LA hadn't fumbled the bag on the PLD trade, I could easily see him thriving there. Doughty and Kopitar can show him what it means to be a playoff performer and he would be far away from the media spotlight in Toronto.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Feels like almost no one wins here:

-Marner would reset Montreal's entire salary scale and I highly doubt anyone in the league thinks he's "the guy", even if he's an elite complementary player. It would basically be the Tavares situation for Montreal at best. Marner also isn't the style of player they'd target and they aren't in a position to make a move like that.

-Seth Jones isn't as overpaid as some may think, but part of the reason Toronto would move Marner is to spread out there spending a bit more. Acquiring Jones doesn't do that.

-Marner and Jones have NMCs. Marner is a Toronto guy, the idea that he would waive his NMC and re-sign in Montreal is incredibly farfetched. Jones apparently wants to be in the US.

I feel like getting Jones would be huge for Toronto. As an outsider, I’ve always thought their biggest roster construction flaw is that Morgan Reilly is their best defenseman.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
I could see maybe a team like Seattle or Utah/Coyotes wanting to make a splash like this.

How much they’d be willing to pay is another question

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What about something like Necas, Orlov, plus first round pick for Marner, assuming Carolina loses to the Rangers (no money retained)?

It gives the Canes more scoring creativity and gives the Leafs one year of D man and a solid skilled rw.

I think Marner is massively skilled, but with his playoff performances, only 1 year til UFA and big contract make it where I don't think he gets fair market value.
Don’t see why the Canes would entertain that.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Anaheim and jersey would be the best fit.

Anaheim has 33 million to spend. They could add Marner and 2 top 4 D.

Gauthier. Leo. Marner
Killorn. Zegras. Terry
Vatrano. Mac. Strome

Skej. Pesce
Pav. Fowler
Zell. Gudas.

NJD. Have 15 million to spend on 1 goalie and 1 rw

Meier. Hughes. Bratt
Palat Nico. Marner

Would be great.

Would all depend on where he wants to go
NJD should have absolutely no business paying another winger 8.5 million dollars, or any interest in an extension on marner.

If Marner tells toronto the only location he'd waive for is NJD, then maybe offer pennies on the dollar for a rental marner

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Leafs fans are hilarious. Marner is the #1 point getter in the playoffs for the Leafs core players and he gets all the shit. Good luck without him.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I'm not selling it, I'm just giving you a possible reason "why".
Yah I understand. I just dont see it. I think he pretty much has shown who he is as a player.

When guys like Huberdeau, Gaudreau, PLD, Caufield ect ect have all made around that number or higher recently, over 8.5 definitely isn't to much for him. He also ranks 22nd in playoff PPG since 2022 so although he hasn't lived up to expectation he definitely hasn't been awful.

would love for them to target Montour this off-season. would fill such a big need for them
Sorry Fluff but he has been awful. He has put up some points but below his regular season standards.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Marner for Kyrou. One crybaby for another ;)

Two guys somewhat despised by their fanbases, maybe both could use the change? Leafs save cap space too and get a young talented winger with 7 years left on their deal.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I'm not disagreeing with you. He will ask for 12 no doubt. If any GM is actually watching this team though, they would have to be a complete dumb f*** to give that guy 12 million over 8 years. It must be common sense at this point, that he is no where near his current 10.9 let alone 12.

Well there's this guy in Pittsburgh who would. He might even think that Bitchy Mitchy and Sid would make the greatest pairing ever.

I haven't paid any attention to the Pens, do they have cap space and the assets needed in a trade?

Fist of Fury

Wang Chung
Jul 24, 2011
Anders Lee+Pierre Engvall+Sebastian Aho. Tavares & Lee reunited, then you guys sign Josh Bailey. Solid. Pajama boy happy.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Well there's this guy in Pittsburgh who would. He might even think that Bitchy Mitchy and Sid would make the greatest pairing ever.

I haven't paid any attention to the Pens, do they have cap space and the assets needed in a trade?
After the Matthews and Nylander recent contract mistakes it sure seems like new GM same story, or more likely same President same story. It's all part of the Shannaplan to let these guys run the cap and the team.

But maybe you are right. Maybe Shannahan found his patsy for this year in Marner. Just like he blamed everything on a single person every other year. Even though "Bitchy Mitchy" has out performed every other core player on the Leafs in the playoffs the fans will eat it up.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
After the Matthews and Nylander recent contract mistakes it sure seems like new GM same story, or more likely same President same story. It's all part of the Shannaplan to let these guys run the cap and the team.

But maybe you are right. Maybe Shannahan found his patsy for this year in Marner. Just like he blamed everything on a single person every other year. Even though "Bitchy Mitchy" has out performed every other core player on the Leafs in the playoffs the fans will eat it up.

How has he outperformed the rest of the core? Matthews has one more point than Marner does.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
If LA hadn't fumbled the bag on the PLD trade, I could easily see him thriving there. Doughty and Kopitar can show him what it means to be a playoff performer and he would be far away from the media spotlight in Toronto.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. He literally had a Conn Smythe winner on his team in last year's playoffs.

Either you have it or you don't. He's not just going to play harder because Doughty and Kopitar show up in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: