Value of: Mitch Marner this offseason (2.5 mil retained)

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but the list of teams inquiring about Mitch Marner would be long... very long...

I think most teams realize that something needs to change in Toronto, and he probably can't be "THE GUY"... but if you're a strong team, with a strong identity, like Carolina, or even Boston, and have an opportunity to bring in a premier talent like Marner at age 26; you do not pass up on that opportunity because his confidence is a little shot.

The challenge of course, is that Marner has full control with his NMC... so will get to pick his destination -- somewhere that he's presumably interested in re-signing.

Teams that jump out to me as likely possibilities (which Marner would presumably be interested in).

Los Angeles Kings
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
New York Islanders
Washingotn Capitals
St. Louis Blues

• Haha
Reactions: Lt Dan

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
good/great player but I don't think he would get the value that Leafs fans expect.

I don’t think the Leafs expect he will net a huge return. Most understand his contract situation. He’s a tough guy to gage value on as he could be a great rental with retention seeing as his actual $ amount is basically nothing, but given his recent playoffs I can see the hesitation. I think at this point the reason to trade Marner is just for a fresh start and redistribution of cap more than anything else.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Expect a package deal, similar to what buffalo got for eichel. Like a 1st round pick a roster player mid 20s and previous high draft pick prospect.

Honestly... that's probably what the Leafs need... to become less top-heavy. To let it be Matthews running one line, Nylander another, and a bunch of other guys that are regularily relied upon to contribute instead of isolating to the big 3/4.

The challenge wont be getting the value out of Marner. It's that they really need a defenceman, and it'll end up being a very small "market" for him given that he has control.

Reactions: wintersej

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Habs: Marner (retained) signs extension

Leafs: Seth Jones + Hawks 34th oa

Hawks: 5th oa

Everybody wins
He may not get you through the playoffs, but he can get you there and with an extension I'd be fine with it.

Would like to send Armia to a team in it just to ease the cap hit for this season a bit.

Call me crazy... but the list of teams inquiring about Mitch Marner would be long... very long...

I think most teams realize that something needs to change in Toronto, and he probably can't be "THE GUY"... but if you're a strong team, with a strong identity, like Carolina, or even Boston, and have an opportunity to bring in a premier talent like Marner at age 26; you do not pass up on that opportunity because his confidence is a little shot.

The challenge of course, is that Marner has full control with his NMC... so will get to pick his destination -- somewhere that he's presumably interested in re-signing.

Teams that jump out to me as likely possibilities (which Marner would presumably be interested in).

Los Angeles Kings
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
New York Islanders
Washingotn Capitals
St. Louis Blues
LA has 20 mill to finish out their roster which includes 5 forwards, 2 d and 2 goalies, so that's unlikely.

Carolina needs 5 forwards, 3 d, so very possible, but Carolina has some real good RFAs and UFAs.

Dallas needs 2 forwards, 3d and 1 goalie.

Islanders don't really have much in terms of assets. They need a handful of players and only have 5 mill.

Capitals don't have much unless they're trading Leonard. Caps are over the cap for next season, but that might not include Backstrom and Oshie may LTIRetire

Blues have the assets and cap space to go for it.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Everybody wins

Feels like almost no one wins here:

-Marner would reset Montreal's entire salary scale and I highly doubt anyone in the league thinks he's "the guy", even if he's an elite complementary player. It would basically be the Tavares situation for Montreal at best. Marner also isn't the style of player they'd target and they aren't in a position to make a move like that.

-Seth Jones isn't as overpaid as some may think, but part of the reason Toronto would move Marner is to spread out there spending a bit more. Acquiring Jones doesn't do that.

-Marner and Jones have NMCs. Marner is a Toronto guy, the idea that he would waive his NMC and re-sign in Montreal is incredibly farfetched. Jones apparently wants to be in the US.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
No chance.....Sorokin is staying. Want no part of cry baby Marner....

Even Lou wouldn't be interested. If you know anything about Lou, he's defense first. He's not moving Sorokin....especially for Marner.

Mitch Marner isn’t being traded 1-1 for a goalie. I don’t care how good Sorokin is.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I don’t think the Leafs expect he will net a huge return. Most understand his contract situation. He’s a tough guy to gage value on as he could be a great rental with retention seeing as his actual $ amount is basically nothing, but given his recent playoffs I can see the hesitation. I think at this point the reason to trade Marner is just for a fresh start and redistribution of cap more than anything else.
Its possible I suppose. I mean if the main goal is to get cap space and futures for Marner. That's probably the best outcome for The Leafs. For a deal like that there will be no shortage of interested teams. Assuming of course that he would waive his NMC.

Still think Marner for Drew Doughty makes a certain amount of sense
Yea unless there is some new "way back" machine and make DD 27 again, I think that's a hard no for The Leafs.

Los Angeles Kings
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
New York Islanders
Washingotn Capitals
St. Louis Blues
I would add Vegas, Utah and New Jersey to your list. He wouldn't go to Washington imo. They will be on a hard downturn for quite a while.....

Last edited:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Josh Anderson , leafs need to add a sweetner.

I love leafs fans saying no to proposals in here , like what do you guys mean no? Keep the guy at 11 mill going forward if you don't like the returns, by all means please do :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I love leafs fans saying no to proposals in here , like what do you guys mean no? Keep the guy at 11 mill going forward if you don't like the returns, by all means please do :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As a general rule fans should NEVER make trade threads when their teams loses badly in the playoffs, I mean all their going to get is crappy responses generally speaking. Leafs and every other team who loses 4-1 or 4-2 in the playoffs or failed to even make the playoffs will need to do an offseason reviewed and make changes to bring them closer to the playoff and cup goal.

I just roll my eyes when I see these types of threads this time of year. Some fans just can't resist making these threads this time of year.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Marner is better in the regular season, but Jake Guentzel was on a much more affordable cap hit and is an elite playoff producer. I would be benchmarking the return for Marner there unless he's coming with a signed extension.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Marner is still a 100 point guy that was a Selke nominee.

Anderson is barely an NHLer at this point.

Yeah, if that is only offer available, they're gonna keep him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Marner is better in the regular season, but Jake Guentzel was on a much more affordable cap hit and is an elite playoff producer. I would be benchmarking the return for Marner there unless he's coming with a signed extension.

Hard part about trading Marner, stating already all his failings in the playoffs, cap hit, etc. Is his lack of term and how toxic his last contract deal went with him, his father/agent, etc with the Leafs. Who is going to sign up for that again, after trading pieces to get him with no assurances of him signing at a reasonable rate......plus he likely thinks he deserves a raise. He likely stays a Leafs until his current deal is done or he's traded with a new contract done. yikes

Reactions: Sideline

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I can’t see any way Marner waives his NMC. The media whirlwind this offseason won’t bother him on his boat.
It's pretty much the opposite. Marner and his dad have always seemed very sensitive to media and the public chatter. His dad is probably seething right now.

In most cases, if a team approaches a player with a full NTC or NMC, one way or another, the player ends up gone. They just get to provide a short list of destinations. Marner and his dad have huge egos. If they Shanny/Treliving finally grow some balls and ask if he'd accept a trade, Marner isn't going to stick around to be the unwanted loser.

Bulls9220

Feb 6, 2010
New York

just say you dont want to have an actual conversation about this

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Los Angeles Kings
Carolina Hurricanes
Dallas Stars
New York Islanders
Washingotn Capitals
St. Louis Blues

Agreed - put him on a team that plays actual hockey and I still think he could be a big piece. His shortcomings are amplified by the team here and if he was surrounded by complementary players he'd be dynamite.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

Everybody wins
Habs don't want Marner..figure out a deal so you can bring him to chicago.
we'll keep the 5th for a cost controlled asset..

Armia would be able to go to the hawks easily in this type of deal.
so? he was great for the habs down the stretch, their best PKer and on an expiring deal

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Habs don't want Marner..figure out a deal so you can bring him to chicago.
we'll keep the 5th for a cost controlled asset..

so? he was great for the habs down the stretch, their best PKer and on an expiring deal
Responding to the guys post that’s all if he was looking to move on from armia’s cap it wouldn’t be a issue in a make believe deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad