Speculation: Mitch Marner Mega Thread Part 7 (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I mean on the one hand I think this topic should stay about Marner, but I guess then it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining.

Obviously a bit of an exaggeration on my part. But when people start ignoring total points, they are basically building excuses for their players (i.e. being an apologist).

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Every single fanbase complains about penalties / lack of penalties no matter how many they get.

You pretty much just have to ignore it especially during the playoffs.

The point that is being back made is that refs manage the game and even up the calls.

If the least penalized team plays the most penalized team. They get penalized less

How can people watch those playoffs and not realize that there is game management?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The point that is being back made is that refs manage the game and even up the calls.

If the least penalized team plays the most penalized team. They get penalized less

How can people watch those playoffs and not realize that there is game management?
There is def always game management all the time every game of the year.

If the refs followed the rulebook to the letter there would be a penalty every shift

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That's clearly not true when you see his ES p1/60 went down and then went back up.

And once again, its not only thanks to Babcock that Matthews doesn't have that extra minute of PP time that you so clerish. The leafs as a team can't earn any PP time (soft teams tend to do that). If you give Matthews an extra minute, the 2nd unit will have barely 1 min per game of PP, which is very hard to actually control because you can have many PP shifts lasting more than 1 minute.

Just accept the fact that Matthews is not being handcuffed by his coach. He's a fine player, but just not as accomplished as the true elites.

Nah I won't accept that, and I can't tell you how glad I am that my team's GM won't accept that either.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Then they didn’t watch the games

Then again there are bruins fans who complain about officiating in the playoffs

They went from one of the most penalized teams in the league to the least the second they started playing the leafs.

Crazy how that works

I hope that makes you feel better at night.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Nah I won't accept that, and I can't tell you how glad I am that my team's GM won't accept that either.
He already has the best contract for a player in the league so it doesn't really matter anymore , just be happy with what you got.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
All that occurred, and they only edged us out in game 7.
After one of the flukiest opening goals to a game 7 ever. But yeah, Bruins had all the luck. :laugh:

And then went on to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals after sweeping the ECF and beating the super-loaded CBJ in 6 (that had just swept one of the best teams in the history of the sport).

It's almost like the Leafs are a good team and the playoffs have horrible match-ups in the 1st round or something. :sarcasm:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I see we've reached the "ok now I'm admitting I'm just here to troll" part of the debate.

Just replying to your comment that Dubas doesn't accept the fact that his coach has "handcuff" his star player. I mean, if he doesn't accept it, switch coaches. Hire someone here that will give Matthews 30 minutes a night and all the PP time.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I love how it's a Colorado fan coming in here telling us that PP points are all-important and officiating is 100% equal for all teams.

Colorado, who has led the league in PP opportunities for 2 years straight, and who have 38 more PP opportunities than 2nd place over the last 2 years.

But yeah, I'm sure you "earned it".

Reactions: MapyPopa

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I love how it's a Colorado fan coming in here telling us that PP points are all-important and officiating is 100% equal for all teams.

Colorado, who has led the league in PP opportunities for 2 years straight, and who have 38 more PP opportunities than 2nd place over the last 2 years.

And who has won more playoff series than you. Don’t forget that.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

I bet mack draws a tonne of powerplays with his play style tbh . A big mcdavid that is slightly worse probably gets a lot of penalties called tbh .

Who draws the most for the leafs ? I have no idea but I'd guess it would be someone like kapanan . Maybe marner cuz he has the puck alot but speed tends to make people hook you

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Ahh hf, home of the blind fanbois. If a compliment isn't strong enough, it's am insult, right?

Lolz at whatever amazing achievement your hero was on pace for. If Laine had decided not to play through his back injury after November, he'd have been *on pace* to have scored more goals in a season than anyone in history.

Sound like nonsense? That's because it is. And so is your statement. Matthews is awesome. Always has been. Will be his whole career. But a sudden *on pace for* 19 extra points spike and you don't want to bring Tavares and Marner into the conversation?

Fact is, some players peak earlier and some later. Some guys dominate in junior becauae they're way bigger/faster/smarter/whatever and when they come into the pros, it turns out they had just reached their full potential early.

The difference in this case is that Matthews' full potential is massive. It's in no way a knock on him to say that he was at least 90% of the way there when he got drafted. That took a ton of work and determination to achieve.

And that brings me to your "Laine/Matthews debate" comment. There was never ever ever any debate at all. I can tell you with 100% certainty as a Jets fan that we'd have been thrilled if you'd have been stupid enough to select Laine 1OA. We're very pleased with the sloppy 2nds we got, but nobody in their right mind would have picked Laine with Matthews on the board.

The insecurity of the media that panders to your fanbase is what's actually mind-boggling here.

Wow. That seems to have really set you off. You doing ok?

1. Your exact wording was "Matthews seems to have come into the NHL fully developed. I don't see a whole lot of room for improvement". That is flat out stating the player Matthews was in his rookie year is pretty much as good as he's going to be. That's nonsense and you know it. There's countless examples of franchise level stars that came into the league already big and developed yet still had massive improvements over the years. There's no reason to suggest Matthews won't be just like the majority of 1st overall picks and keep improving as he's already shown in his first three years.

2. There was never any debate at all in the Matthews/Laine decision? Really? Maybe you're new to these forums, I don't know, but you might wanna check out the comments on here from the entire 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 seasons. There was most certainly endless debate on this with more Jets fans than I can count flat out convinced Laine was better post draft. Sure the majority obviously preferred Matthews, but don't act like this wasn't something that was debated at length by a large amount of fans from both fanbases. Pre-draft sure it wasn't as much of a debate, but post-draft it was never ending and the Laine is more raw so he has more room to grow nonsense was thrown around regularly.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
I bet mack draws a tonne of powerplays with his play style tbh . A big mcdavid that is slightly worse probably gets a lot of penalties called tbh .

Who draws the most for the leafs ? I have no idea but I'd guess it would be someone like kapanan . Maybe marner cuz he has the puck alot but speed tends to make people hook you

Was Kadri more or less every season

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I bet mack draws a tonne of powerplays with his play style tbh.
Boy, that play style reminds me of somebody...

A big mcdavid that is slightly worse probably gets a lot of penalties called tbh .
Mackinnon is smaller than McDavid... And Edmonton is one of the worst teams at drawing PP opportunities since McDavid came into the league... And one of the biggest complaints that Edmonton fans have (which is entirely justified) is how refs don't call penalties that occur against McDavid...

I guess McDavid doesn't "earn it" well enough.

Who draws the most for the leafs ?
It used to be Kadri, and then the league decided they hated him and people could do whatever they wanted to him. I honestly don't know anymore, it happens so rarely.

but speed tends to make people hook you
Yeah, it does. That's why a bunch of the fast teams are at the top of the PP opportunities list. I see hooks a lot, with the Leafs having one of the fastest teams and all. If only they were called...

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Boy, that play style reminds me of somebody...

Mackinnon is smaller than McDavid... And Edmonton is one of the worst teams at drawing PP opportunities since McDavid came into the league... And one of the biggest complaints that Edmonton fans have (which is entirely justified) is how refs don't call penalties that occur against McDavid...

I guess McDavid doesn't "earn it" well enough.

It used to be Kadri, and then the league decided they hated him and people could do whatever they wanted to him. I honestly don't know anymore, it happens so rarely.

Yeah, it does. That's why a bunch of the fast teams are at the top of the PP opportunities list. I see hooks a lot, with the Leafs having one of the fastest teams and all. If only they were called...
that's a lot but yes McDavid should get more penalties called against him and McDavid might be a tad taller but he is def smaller than mack as far as frame and weight go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad