Missed Icing? Sweden vs. Russia. + Lehner Reaction

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
American, Albanian or Andorran, you don't communicate very well in English. And that comes from a person who is professionally qualified to make the judgment. But, since you say that you are an American, you will probably understand the cultural implications of this: "How is your tinfoil hat these days? Are those black helicopters still tailing you?"

I repeat: Develop a sense of proportion and get a grip on reality.

Take the last word if you want: I'm done with you.

I think he communicates better than the majority of the posters in here.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm still not certain if Lehner's mention of Canada was a shot at us or not.

He basically said that the referees cost them the game against Russia (who ultimately won) and that wouldn't have happened if they (Sweden) were playing Canada.

It sounds like he's saying that if Sweden played Canada, the referees would have done a better job.

Although it could also be that he's saying if Canada was playing them (Russia) instead, the referees wouldn't have made that call.
Please, coming from a Swede, you can bet that was a shot at us.

He wasnt kneeling for no reason. He was kneeling because the puck nearly went in the net. He was playing it safe, as you should in a 1 game elimination. The ref realized he was late on the call and started yelling.

This doesnt excuse anyone on the ice from stopping early. Never do that. But they are kids, so whatever.

So so SOOOO sick of swedes whining about Canada though. I love nothing more than beating them. Such whiny little babies. The players, the coaches, the federation, the media, the fans, the posters on here.....just insane. They could learn a thing or two from fans of every other country.
Everyone has a thing to say against Canada, but I must say the Swedes bring it to a whole new level.

Yes, a little bit anyway? ;-) In this clip both Forsberg and the referee (Börje) is talking about what happened, looking back. It's pretty funny.

Forsberg hardly remember (or still trying to forget?), I guess he was "in the zone"? ;-)

I'm surprise Foppa didn't accused the ref of being Canadian :laugh:.

Evil Romano

Jan 3, 2011
Bassano Vicenza
American, Albanian or Andorran, you don't communicate very well in English. And that comes from a person who is professionally qualified to make the judgment. But, since you say that you are an American, you will probably understand the cultural implications of this: "How is your tinfoil hat these days? Are those black helicopters still tailing you?"

I repeat: Develop a sense of proportion and get a grip on reality.

Take the last word if you want: I'm done with you.

Oh, we have a professionally qualified guy with a master's degree in mass- and personal communication. I am impressed. Unfortunately I could not care less about your profession, or your academic transcripts. So I guess we're done!

Lamtumirë!

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå

Everyone has a thing to say against Canada, but I must say the Swedes bring it to a whole new level.

Troll more please.

As we've said, Lehner was angry after a tough loss and acted just like Foppa. Most of us Swedes agree this was mostly our own defencemens fault.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I think it showed a lot of immaturity on Lehner's part. It's a cop-out. That game was a tailor-made opportunity for the Swedes to reach the gold medal game. Russia plays Sunday night against Finland, they have a really tough, emotional, overtime win in a game that the Russians trailed 3-1. A championship team would have jumped all over the Russians. But they trailed after the first period. And then the Swedes gave up a 3-2 lead late in the third.

It's the Swedish curse at the WJC. It's now 30 years since they last won gold. They had all of those great teams in the late 80s and for much of the 90s. Zero gold medals. They've had some great teams in recent years. Zero gold medals. Granted, this year's team was not as good as their entries the three previous years. Excellent team. A definite threat. But they didn't scare me like they did in previous years.

After the terrible eighth place result in 2003, Sweden took a long, hard look at their developmental program. (Memo to the Czech Republic: it's time to do the same). And the result has been very good for Sweden: they have played for a medal in five straight years. They have had a shot at gold the last four. Now I think it's time to reign in the players and the coaches. Tell them to shut up. Tell them to eliminate the "bulletin board material." And tell them no more excuses. Guys like Lehner have to realize that when you lose like the Swedes did against Russia - a team that they should have beat soundly considering the circumstances - that it's all Sweden's fault.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
I think it showed a lot of immaturity on Lehner's part. It's a cop-out. That game was a tailor-made opportunity for the Swedes to reach the gold medal game. Russia plays Sunday night against Finland, they have a really tough, emotional, overtime win in a game that the Russians trailed 3-1. A championship team would have jumped all over the Russians. But they trailed after the first period. And then the Swedes gave up a 3-2 lead late in the third.

It's the Swedish curse at the WJC. It's now 30 years since they last won gold. They had all of those great teams in the late 80s and for much of the 90s. Zero gold medals. They've had some great teams in recent years. Zero gold medals. Granted, this year's team was not as good as their entries the three previous years. Excellent team. A definite threat. But they didn't scare me like they did in previous years.

After the terrible eighth place result in 2003, Sweden took a long, hard look at their developmental program. (Memo to the Czech Republic: it's time to do the same). And the result has been very good for Sweden: they have played for a medal in five straight years. They have had a shot at gold the last four. Now I think it's time to reign in the players and the coaches. Tell them to shut up. Tell them to eliminate the "bulletin board material." And tell them no more excuses. Guys like Lehner have to realize that when you lose like the Swedes did against Russia - a team that they should have beat soundly considering the circumstances - that it's all Sweden's fault.

EOT.
Nothing more needs to be said.

Snauen*

So so SOOOO sick of swedes whining about Canada though. I love nothing more than beating them. Such whiny little babies. The players, the coaches, the federation, the media, the fans, the posters on here.....just insane. They could learn a thing or two from fans of every other country.
Yep, just come overhere and teach us then mighty Canadian. Teach us how to become a narcissistic, egocentric, liar, diver, cheater and borderline psychopath in the true Canadian way. That is the kind of hockeyplayers and coaches I would like to have representing my country (not!).

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

With "us" you mean swedes, or?
I dont get it...

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

I dont know if I would call it a curse, but other than that I can agree with this post.

ice8eight

Oct 23, 2009
What a sucky little ****. Grow up boy, this is not the first time things won't go your way, and blaming won't help. Take it like a man and play again. YOU made plenty of mistakes in "A tournament like this" as well. It was a crappy call, but learn from it and next time play till the whistle.

It's not about that. A loss in this kind of competition and magnitude of game is very disappointing and tough to take. Specially when refs makes mistakes that cost the team a chance to get the gold.

I take it, you've never been into a competition before. When a player loses in this type of competition, normally you'd be in denial then blaming then accepting, learning, and moving on.

That being said, Lehner should have not said anything about Canada. He has a case to begin with. It was an icing.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Add this here because it got to do with the new Sweden Canada rivalry brewing. If Canada had won there is no way there is that congratulatory message on the dressing room door. Canada has a huge rivalry with Russia and the US, actions of a few Swedes is making it more and more fun to see them lose.... another big rival can only be good for this tournament, even if it is for some unusual reasons.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden
Add this here because it got to do with the new Sweden Canada rivalry brewing. If Canada had won there is no way there is that congratulatory message on the dressing room door. Canada has a huge rivalry with Russia and the US, actions of a few Swedes is making it more and more fun to see them lose.... another big rival can only be good for this tournament, even if it is for some unusual reasons.

So that message to the Russian team is also a taunt to Canada?
I can't believe some of you fans....wth should they have done?
Setup a note that congratulated Canada to the silver? Imagine the roar on these boards if that would have happened.

Not everything that happens in Euro hockey is directed against Canada.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
So that message to the Russian team is also a taunt to Canada?
I can't believe some of you fans....wth should they have done?
Setup a note that congratulated Canada to the silver? Imagine the roar on these boards if that would have happened.

Not everything that happens in Euro hockey is directed against Canada.

Show me a history of Sweden writing this type of note to the winning team and I'll see it differently, till then....

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
Show me a history of Sweden writing this type of note to the winning team and I'll see it differently, till then....

Yeah because players can't think for themselves and have to follow some tradition.

Jesus ****ing christ people are grasping for straws in trying to make every Swede look like they hate Canada on this board. :laugh:

I know you want rivalries and all but this is ridiculous.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Good to know that fundamentally, all of us are the same. At the heart of things, thirteen yearolds from every country like to argue with people they won't ever meet on the internet.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Yeah because players can't think for themselves and have to follow some tradition.

Jesus ****ing christ people are grasping for straws in trying to make every Swede look like they hate Canada on this board. :laugh:

I know you want rivalries and all but this is ridiculous.

Tradition? if there was one than you would clearly prove my statement wrong..... kind of hope you do, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will all the little things that have happen this tournament between these two countries, you would have to be pretty naive to believe this had nothing to do with the fact that Canada was the losing team.

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
Tradition? if there was one than you would clearly prove my statement wrong..... kind of hope you do, but I'm not holding my breath.

Will all the little things that have happen this tournament between these two countries, you would have to be pretty naive to believe this had nothing to do with the fact that Canada was the losing team.

My point is that there is no tradition..

You realize that if TV doesn't show the note then nobody but the Russian staff and players see it, right?

They showed it on TV because it's a cool thing to do after losing to the same team just days earlier, but you have to make everything about Canada.

Anyway I won't argue anymore, you can believe whatever you want.

Kiefer

Jun 28, 2004
Sweden

Canada have to many sensitive fans. That word might not be the right one, but english is not my first language.

Like inoajd said, this was caught on camera, i have no idea how common this is.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Yeah, the disturbing thing is that Canada is the most dedicated hockey country in the world, yet their fans seems so insecure. The combination is a rather bad one.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

Why don't you go and chew on a sour grape? There is no bigger sweden-hater then you on the forum. Seriously, you do nothing but searching for straws that could lead you to the conclusion that a swede in one way or the other is taunting a canadian. It's borderline schizophrenic behavior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad