Miscellaneous NHL Talk V7.0 - 2018/19 Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Morin's five game 17-18 NHL preseason is becoming the stuff of myth and legend. :laugh:

I mean @Beef Invictus was not wrong at all. He was one of the best defensemen during the preseason. I actually attended the Rangers preseason game where he scored a goal and beat the shit out of Farnham. He was all over the ice. Played a fantastic game.

The organization invented a reason to send him down because they already made up their minds on who was going to be on the defense during the summer. Morin was better than Hagg and even better than Sanheim in all but 2 games. He earned a spot on merit but didn't get it based on...I don't know what exactly.

This organization expecting *certain* defensemen to play perfect in order to earn ice time while allowing other defensemen a leash longer than a tapeworm is just another indictment of their decision making.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
A team that went 40-0-42 would be "below .500" and also win the President's Trophy with 122 points and a .744 Points%.

It’s a silly argument from either side. The loser point makes the standings artificially close to the point where an OTL or SOL is almost as good as a win but not quite. Easy way for me to conceptualize it is does an 0-0-82 team make the playoffs? No, shy by about 10~ points most years. Therefore, a loser point is better than nothing but still not good enough point pace and a loss, in fact.

The only saving grace of the Flyers record is that the Metro is awful this year. Both WC teams have 3 more points than the 2nd best Metro team.

Flyers are 11th in the East, 22nd in the league, have a negative goal differential, and three of the four below in the East have games in hand. That’s all despite having the 10th highest PDO prior to the Tampa game.

Regardless of semantics about what .500 actually means in hockey, that’s objectively bad and far, far below preseason expectations. Most of which had us at least securing a division spot, if not higher, and in a much tougher Metro than what it is.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s a silly argument from either side. The loser point makes the standings artificially close to the point where an OTL or SOL is almost as good as a win but not quite. Easy was for me to conceptualize it is does an 0-0-82 team make the playoffs? No, shy by about 10~ points most years. Therefore, a loser point is better than nothing but still not good enough point pace and a loss, in fact.

The only saving grace of the Flyers record is that the Metro is awful this year. Both WC teams have 3 more points than the 2nd best Metro team.

Flyers are 11th in the East, 22nd in the league, have a negative goal differential, and three of the four below in the East have games in hand. That’s all despite having the 10th highest PDO prior to the Tampa game.

Regardless of semantics about what .500 actually means in hockey, that’s objectively bad and far, far below preseason expectations. Most of which had us at least securing a division spot, if not higher, and in a much tougher Metro than what it is.

The season has been a disaster so far. They are extremely lucky to have had their West Coast trip during a time in which Anaheim, LA, and Chicago were all struggling BADLY.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I mean @Beef Invictus was not wrong at all. He was one of the best defensemen during the preseason. I actually attended the Rangers preseason game where he scored a goal and beat the **** out of Farnham. He was all over the ice. Played a fantastic game.

The organization invented a reason to send him down because they already made up their minds on who was going to be on the defense during the summer. Morin was better than Hagg and even better than Sanheim in all but 2 games. He earned a spot on merit but didn't get it based on...I don't know what exactly.

This organization expecting *certain* defensemen to play perfect in order to earn ice time while allowing other defensemen a leash longer than a tapeworm is just another indictment of their decision making.

I mean, I just feel it’s stupid asset management and an unfair philosophy to not give players of Morin’s ilk a shot in the NHL first before burying his career. Guys of his size that can play are exceedingly rare and, on D, you can do a lot with that type of reach without doing a ton offensively.

I don’t think anybody is entirely confident Morin would have been a star or player. Except we don’t know at 23 years old partially because of injuries, but also because of Hextall/Hakstol.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean, I just feel it’s stupid asset management and an unfair philosophy to not give players of Morin’s ilk a shot in the NHL first before burying his career.

Uh, Morin buried his own career by not staying healthy.

Hextall said before the season he wanted to give all three rookie defensemen a shot, if Morin stays healthy he gets to play for an extended period, and if he was as good as the "experts" here claim, he would have won a starting job.

Morin should get another shot in March, when he's healthy, but players have to take advantage of opportunities.

Hextall doesn't base decisions merely on pre-season, and he's right, until the last couple games, you're going against a mixture of AHL scrubs, raw rookies and NHL veterans going half-speed. Sometimes (see Vorobyev) you can look great in those games and still not be NHL ready.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Uh, Morin buried his own career by not staying healthy.

Hextall said before the season he wanted to give all three rookie defensemen a shot, if Morin stays healthy he gets to play for an extended period, and if he was as good as the "experts" here claim, he would have won a starting job.

Morin should get another shot in March, when he's healthy, but players have to take advantage of opportunities.

Hextall doesn't base decisions merely on pre-season, and he's right, until the last couple games, you're going against a mixture of AHL scrubs, raw rookies and NHL veterans going half-speed. Sometimes (see Vorobyev) you can look great in those games and still not be NHL ready.

Morin's injuries aren't destiny. Who knows what happens if he'd been in the NHL, where he had earned a spot by outplaying half the defense before being buried out of stubborn stupidity.

Being rewarded for "Taking advantage of opporunities" is something that happens on other teams. Not on the Flyers. Look no further than the treatment of Sanheim, Konecny, and Morin despite their actual play. Look at Voro's "opportunity." NAK playing 5 minutes isn't an opportunity either. f***, even Ghost has been jerked around despite clearly taking advantage of every opportunity. Their actual play doesn't matter, only the coach's whims and preconceived idiotic notions. Laughton has played above his line assignment for a while now without reward, either.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hell, when the coach is so abysmal at player evaluation that it takes him months to work out obvious facts about the roster, a 6 game sample size at less than 10 minutes a game cannot even be an opportunity. It's literally not enough time for the coach to figure out what you are or see if you're worthwhile.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
How is Peter Chiarelli still employed?

I would like to formally inform Oilers ownership that, while I have no provable competency in managing an NHL team, I am open to a long term, multi-million dollar, guaranteed contract to act as their General Manager. For an appropriate offer, I will relocate to your G*d forsaken city (seasonally), live there as long as the tax laws require, and devote myself to improving the lot of your team. By assuring improvement on recent history - or the prospect of yet another overall #1 pick - I am sure I can maintain interest in your promary demographic group. But t0 demonstrate my dedication to expanding the reach on penetration of your franchise, I will further volunteer to promote your team, holding exclusive social events for your young, female fanbase (young defined as over 18 and not less than 15 years younger than me).

I can be reached via IM at this site, and am eagerly awaiting your call.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Why does Simmonds see ice in OT?

giphy.gif

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I am watching our enemies play.
Buffalo and pit

I really like how buffalo plays the game. They go at it. Tage Thomson. Like what I am seeing there. Wonder what he would cost.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
FLippimg through these other games, after 4 years its is incredible how Hexy has got the worst HC, worst special teams and worst goaltending in the NHL , bravo sir.

This Leafs team is insane and no chance they keep Nylander, Marner May get 9 mill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad