Status
Not open for further replies.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Fantasy time:

1. Let's say for sh&ts sake, we tank, and win the lottery and have the No.1
2. McDavid says I want to get the hell of this place.

Would you trade our No.1 plus Provorov for McDavid??

Just curious......;-)

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Fantasy time:

1. Let's say for sh&ts sake, we tank, and win the lottery and have the No.1
2. McDavid says I want to get the hell of this place.

Would you trade our No.1 plus Provorov for McDavid??

Just curious......;-)

Of course, but there's no f***ing way in hell he'd come that cheap. You'd be adding a Frost/Patrick and another pick and god knows what else.

Reactions: BigToe

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Is it me or does McDavid have a receding hairline? Are we sure he's only 22? o_O

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Of course, but there's no ****ing way in hell he'd come that cheap. You'd be adding a Frost/Patrick and another pick and god knows what else.

Ok.

But would you pull the trigger for that asking price of say, 2019 1 pick in the draft and 2020 first round, Frost and Provorov? Or would you rather have Hughes???

Just curious and just asking for everyone's opinion.

leonardo.jpg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd bet on Hughes and Provorov adding up to more points than McDavid alone scores, not to mention Provorovs defensive value. Then adding another first and Frost?

Hell no.

The goal isn't to get the best player in the league. The goal is to have the best team in the league.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sound alike when Hexy gave Neuvy his raise
Neuvirths contract was betting on him getting healthy and playing like he had when he was.

This is a 30 year old with 31 NHL games played in his entire career. :laugh:
Totally unnecessary to do it right now too. No idea why he didn’t at least wait to see how he finished the year. Edmonton fans aren’t happy.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I'd bet on Hughes and Provorov adding up to more points than McDavid alone scores, not to mention Provorovs defensive value. Then adding another first and Frost?

Hell no.

The goal isn't to get the best player in the league. The goal is to have the best team in the league.

And having the best player in the world is the easiest way to do that.

There is no "point offset" concept for this. McDavid is the best player in the world. He alone is a line, give him any decent compadres and let him go get 120 points and wear the hell out of an opponent's best defensemen and two-way forwards. He's a good enough player that he doesn't need anyone, and he doesn't slump (his longest pointless streak has been 3 games). He's the best and he makes any team (that isn't a shitshow like the Oilers) a threat every night.

In 4 years, what do a hypothetical peak Frost, Provorov, and, since this is hypothetical, Hughes cost combined? $25-30 million? Let's say they become roughly equal to Backstrom, Voracek, and Keith. Cool! That team could be very good. Could.

McDavid will cost $12.5, and even on his next contract, at the limit, he won't cost any more than, say $16 million. Top-tier generational players provide this advantage: As expensive as they may be, they cut down on your need for other very-good-to-elite players. You can slap a $3 million and $5 million player on his line (see: Crosby, Sidney), and have the same production you get from 3 or 4 $8-10 million players. Then you get to work on your second line (say the Flyers did this today: They still have Giroux, Voracek, Patrick, Couturier...) and work down from there. You can build a team around him, and you create a desirable destination for UFAs and the like, and you can trade your existing excess for complimentary players and youth so that you can constantly have a fresh, capable supporting cast.

With the Flyers as they are, you'd be an absolute lunatic not to take that offer and run all the way to 2 or 3 Stanley Cups with it.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
You cant count on Hughes being here. We could finish the year on a 34 game losing streak and we could still pick 4th.
I agree with you but that's not the point of the tank.
The point of the tank is to get a franchise player, not necessarily to get Jack Hughes.
Doesnt have to be 1st overall but your best chances of finding a top line contributer are in that top 5.

Flyers need as many of those types as possible.
You tank in the hopes of getting that 1st overall so you have options (Nico or Nolan for example), knowing that even if you dont get 1st overall, finishing last gives you the best chance to stay in that top 4.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And having the best player in the world is the easiest way to do that.

There is no "point offset" concept for this. McDavid is the best player in the world. He alone is a line, give him any decent compadres and let him go get 120 points and wear the hell out of an opponent's best defensemen and two-way forwards. He's a good enough player that he doesn't need anyone, and he doesn't slump (his longest pointless streak has been 3 games). He's the best and he makes any team (that isn't a ****show like the Oilers) a threat every night.

In 4 years, what do a hypothetical peak Frost, Provorov, and, since this is hypothetical, Hughes cost combined? $25-30 million? Let's say they become roughly equal to Backstrom, Voracek, and Keith. Cool! That team could be very good. Could.

McDavid will cost $12.5, and even on his next contract, at the limit, he won't cost any more than, say $16 million. Top-tier generational players provide this advantage: As expensive as they may be, they cut down on your need for other very-good-to-elite players. You can slap a $3 million and $5 million player on his line (see: Crosby, Sidney), and have the same production you get from 3 or 4 $8-10 million players. Then you get to work on your second line (say the Flyers did this today: They still have Giroux, Voracek, Patrick, Couturier...) and work down from there. You can build a team around him, and you create a desirable destination for UFAs and the like, and you can trade your existing excess for complimentary players and youth so that you can constantly have a fresh, capable supporting cast.

With the Flyers as they are, you'd be an absolute lunatic not to take that offer and run all the way to 2 or 3 Stanley Cups with it.

I understand the value of McDavid...

You realize that everything you said there can be applied to Hughes, although to a slightly lesser degree, if he's as good as he's predicted to be, right? He's supposed to be a franchise player, a one man line, a top-tier generational player, who you can build a team around. Assuming he is that, the gap between them isn't Frost, Provorov, and a first round pick.

I'm not saying three 40 point players and a pick are worth more than a 110 point player. I'm saying a 100 point player, a 70 point player, a 40 point defensemen, and a first round pick are together worth more than a 110 point player.

No chance I'd take that deal.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
It's hard to tell from this distance what type of "franchise" player Hughes will be.

If he's merely a Seguin/Tavares/Eichel/Stamkos type I think McDavid is easily worth that package.

If Hughes is better than that we need to redefine what generational means because we're getting them once every 3-4 years then.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I understand the value of McDavid...

You realize that everything you said there can be applied to Hughes, although to a slightly lesser degree, if he's as good as he's predicted to be, right? He's supposed to be a franchise player, a one man line, a top-tier generational player, who you can build a team around. Assuming he is that, the gap between them isn't Frost, Provorov, and a first round pick.

I'm not saying three 40 point players and a pick are worth more than a 110 point player. I'm saying a 100 point player, a 70 point player, a 40 point defensemen, and a first round pick are together worth more than a 110 point player.

No chance I'd take that deal.

Hughes is good, but he's not going to be on the same planet as McDavid. "To a lesser degree"? Like, so, "He'll be the best hockey player in the world for the next 15 years, except, y'know, not really"? In my humble estimation, he peaks at Kane...maybe. I still take McD and run no matter what. You're a Flyers fan, I'm pretty sure you've seen the difference between, say, a Giroux and a Crosby.

Reactions: DaphneLion

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So, what has Edmonton won with McJesus.
Matthews has helped Toronto, but last year they had Marner, Nylander, JVR and Bozak, the last two replaced by Kapanen and JT.
It's less about having a franchise player (does Kane, Toews or Keith qualify?) than having a half dozen top players.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Matthews is not in McDavid's class either.

Kane and Keith are definitely franchise players and Toews is pretty close.

Edmonton has about 12 players who aren't NHL caliber, or if they are, no better than 3rd pair/4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad