Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXI: The highway on which the bleachers are out in the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
From a ratings standpoint Montreal-Islanders definitely is the Final the NHL wants. Two traditional teams with a big fanbase from huge markets that haven't made the SCF in forever. Pretty easy to market that series.
Would be very similar to the 2010 Final.
Absolutely .

Reactions: ellja3

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
No casual fan gives a flying f*** about Las Vegas & Tampa Bay. It comes across like two expansion teams playing, or, like I said before, a roller hockey game not the Stanley Cup. Casual fans don’t even know who those teams are.

Everyone recognizes Montreal, & the Islanders are a well-known franchise.

Everyone in Canada will be tuning in rooting for Montreal to bring Canada its first Cup since ‘93, & a huge New York market will be tuning in for the Isles. That’s a lot of TV ratings that TB-VGK sure won’t match.

HEY... not everyone..

f*** the Habs.. till the end of time..

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
So Slavin won the Byng, which I feel is pretty deserved, but Damien Cox is having an absolute meltdown on Twitter over it, and it’s hilarious.

He's right you know. Mathews was a Byng finalist (You know, the award that mentions a player being gentlemanly) the season in which he harassed a female security guard. Definitely should review how THAT happened.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
He's right you know. Mathews was a Byng finalist (You know, the award that mentions a player being gentlemanly) the season in which he harassed a female security guard. Definitely should review how THAT happened.
McDavid literally got fined this year for elbowing a guy. What gentlemen they are! :laugh:

Reactions: Striiker

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
From a ratings standpoint Montreal-Islanders definitely is the Final the NHL wants. Two traditional teams with a big fanbase from huge markets that haven't made the SCF in forever. Pretty easy to market that series.
Would be very similar to the 2010 Final.
Hard core fans would watch the game but aside from them, in the NYC area, not many outside of LI. Lets see, I live in SoCal and I have a choice of watching that game or going to the beach. Where's the sun tan lotion? Fans in other cities are going to be into baseball or football camps which are coming up. Here its all Sixers. Even in Canada, I wonder how tuned up the folks in the West are to watching the Canadiens? Who are the big stars to drag you into watching?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Damien Cox's take is absurd. Just a typical fan crying about his favorite stars not getting enough recognition. Because, you know, 24/7 media fawning isn't enough. They also need every award.

Reactions: BernieParent

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think certain people are projecting THEIR deep deep deep deep want for a Montreal-Islanders final. This isn’t the late 70s. Two teams short of top talent, getting shelled all postseason, with two unlikeable teams/fan bases sure to get ALL the eyeballs out of market.

Montreal-Islanders is like a shitty 1st round in a normal season. I wouldn’t watch a game.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hard core fans would watch the game but aside from them, in the NYC area, not many outside of LI. Lets see, I live in SoCal and I have a choice of watching that game or going to the beach. Where's the sun tan lotion? Fans in other cities are going to be into baseball or football camps which are coming up. Here its all Sixers. Even in Canada, I wonder how tuned up the folks in the West are to watching the Canadiens? Who are the big stars to drag you into watching?
Still better than Vegas and Tampa, two teams that really only local fans and hardcore fans care about.
The Canadiens have a history and the Islanders have a history and both have multiple generations of fans.

Vegas was a great story when they made the Final in their inaugural season, but that novelty has worn off by now. Tampa won last season, so seeing them in the Final again this year would be kind of boring, especially to casual fans.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Would the Flyers postseason struggles last playoffs look somewhat better a year later if both the teams they played ended up in the Finals the next year?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
@Striiker you’ll love this one

It honestly is a dumb award. They could eliminate some of them. I would get rid of this, the GM of the year, the Jennings, etc. & change some of the language in the awards to more so reflect how they’re actually rewarded (the Selke for example is voted as the best two-way award).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Still better than Vegas and Tampa, two teams that really only local fans and hardcore fans care about.
The Canadiens have a history and the Islanders have a history and both have multiple generations of fans.

Vegas was a great story when they made the Final in their inaugural season, but that novelty has worn off by now. Tampa won last season, so seeing them in the Final again this year would be kind of boring, especially to casual fans.
Yup. It's not a complicated formula.

Which of the four teams have the biggest local TV audiences? Montreal and the Islanders.

Which of the four teams have the biggest national audiences? Montreal and the Islanders.

Do casual fans know or care anything about Vegas and Tampa? Surely not as many as who will at least recognize Montreal and the Islanders.

Think fans who don't follow hockey know anything about playing styles? Of course not. And it's not like Vegas and Tampa play high-octane offense-first styles, anyway. Certainly not in the postseason.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
f*** the Habs.. till the end of time..

Yeah, that's how I feel. Normally the logos/ethos appeals in my mind would tip the scale to the side of Montreal as I hate what LV was gifted / lucked into and don't care for the city, but I can't get past the flood of bitter comments I read last year from Montreal fans on the main HFboard after we sent them home. Habs fans came out en masse to diminish our accomplishment and overwhelmingly appeared to be rooting for the Islanders in the next round. So I'm emotionally pulling for LV.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

I really don't see how casual fans would think that winning is boring. Two long-storied but recently mediocre teams that have 1 Cup combined in the last 30 years is more in line with ho-hum.

That being said, most everyone without a horse in the race loves an underdog, and Montreal fits that bill to a T. Down 3-1 to the media-crowned kings of the North, they found a way to claw back. They rolled over the defeaters of the other Canadian heirs-apparent, and are a game up on a team that most everyone who has seen at least 1 NHL game expected would curbstomp them without breaking a sweat.

EDIT: I never stop editing my posts.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I really don't see how casual fans would think that winning is boring. Two long-storied but recently mediocre teams that have 1 Cup combined in the last 30 years is more in line with ho-hum.

That being said, most everyone without a horse in the race loves an underdog, and Montreal fits that bill to a T. Down 3-1 to the media-crowned kings of the North, they found a way to claw back. They rolled over the defeaters of the other Canadian heirs-apparent, and are a game up on a team that most everyone who has seen at least 1 NHL game would curbstomp them without breaking a sweat.

The Islanders are really short-storied, too. They have been shit outside of a five-year period when they were unfortunately awesome. Their fanbase is packed to the rafters with total mongrels even a mother couldn't love. In fact, that fanbase resembles nothing so much as a pack of animals who were abandoned by their mothers to fend for themselves before banding together with other like-minded, super obnoxious volunteered orphans. It's a horse shit organization that only an asshole could tolerate, much less love.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

That being said, most everyone without a horse in the race loves an underdog, and Montreal fits that bill to a T. Down 3-1 to the media-crowned kings of the North, they found a way to claw back. They rolled over the defeaters of the other Canadian heirs-apparent, and are a game up on a team that most everyone who has seen at least 1 NHL game would curbstomp them without breaking a sweat.
Winning isn't boring and I'm sure Vegas and Tampa have their share of bandwagoners. But those who support Tampa today because they're winning will support the Islanders tomorrow if they're winning.

Completely agree about people loving underdogs. Funny enough, that's what Vegas was just a few years ago. Now the roles are reversed and people are cheering for their opponents because Vegas is the power house and Montreal is the underdog.

Reactions: BernieParent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad