NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
The problem with goalies isn't their value, but their inconsistency.
They're obviously the most important player on a team, a bad goalie can sink a good team.
But how many goalies play at a high level for most of a decade?

I think the physical demands of the position causes many to break down, especially if they're overused (60+ games a season) and not given enough time to heal.
Funny how years ago goalies played 60-70 games. Didn't have the workout habits, nutrition, in much better shape, better trainers and physical therapy, and everything in between. Now with all that they can't handle it. Makes me laugh.

Just like pitchers now can't more than 6/7 or 200 innings.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I'll be honest. Didn't even know that the season started today. The every year where the season starts on a Tuesday and the Flyers don't play until three days later is weird.
I did a double take when I saw the Flyers first game vs NHL opening night. I know we request to start the season on the west coast road trip, but why tf does it seem like we always start the season 3 or 4 days after everyone else does?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

you-lovely-lovers-jaime-r.gif

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I hate the arena design in Utah. Giant walls behind each net instead of seating. I’m assuming for advertisements

It’s not designed for hockey. That’s the best they can do for now.

It's Barclay's Center Syndrome. They're building a new everything for the Olympics sometime in the 2030s, but they had like 2 months to retrofit the Delta Center to have anything resembling sight lines. They apparently have plans for more elaborate renovations down the line until the new barn's done.

Angry Hockey Dad

Michkov save us
May 30, 2013
Canada
It’s not designed for hockey. That’s the best they can do for now.

It's Barclay's Center Syndrome. They're building a new everything for the Olympics sometime in the 2030s, but they had like 2 months to retrofit the Delta Center to have anything resembling sight lines. They apparently have plans for more elaborate renovations down the line until the new barn's done.

Fair enough I assumed the design was intentional. At least it’s not a college sized rink like Mullett

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Funny how years ago goalies played 60-70 games. Didn't have the workout habits, nutrition, in much better shape, better trainers and physical therapy, and everything in between. Now with all that they can't handle it. Makes me laugh.

Just like pitchers now can't more than 6/7 or 200 innings.
Maybe because they were facing skaters who didn't have the workout habits, nutrition, better shape, better trainers and physical therapy, either. Plus, they all looked like they were skating in their pajamas.
😉

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bettman couldn't have scripted that any better. Start off the "new" franchise with a matchup against an Original 6 team, and one of the 5 most exciting players in the league, but also a complete cupcake opponent who was almost certainly going to get rolled, to give the brand new fans an indelible memory of their team kicking ass. Convenient for them that they had exactly such a cupcake available to feed UHC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad