NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This made me think: when was the last time the Flyers made a judgment call on a prospect before or during their ELC? Gauthier doesn't count. Obviously, I don't think this team has been in position to be selling. But there is such a thing as getting out in front of value drops and honestly re-assessing your own talent each year. You can screw that up too!

But I remember Isaac Ratcliffe was an untouchable prospect. You'd never believe it with how the Flyers think they're the smartest team, but they likely value their own prospects way too highly. Only to later tank the NHL usage/value even for the best ones. It's like the worst of both worlds, and it doesn't make sense. I call it: "The Deadhead Prospect Principle."

You won't be surprised to hear this is something I've thought about too. The closest thing you're going to find in the modern times is Cooper Marody. :laugh:

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He was a great 4th liner. Yay. On a team that did very little over ten years despite trying to compete, because they only had 1x high end talent for a long time.

Islanders in the 2010s were a great example of how not to build a team.
They came within a game of defacto winning the cup in 2021 (they would've slaughtered the Habs).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
They came within a game of defacto winning the cup in 2021 (they would've slaughtered the Habs).

And Clutterbuck was the ~15-17th most important player in the regular season and ~10-12th most important in playoffs despite having one of the best ~10 game stretches in his career.

2020-21 Niederreiter would have been more valuable for them!

The reason they got close was mainly luck... and Barzal, their D and their goalies. Their lack of forward scoring was the main reason they did not get to the final lmao.

They scored ELEVEN goals in seven games vs Tampa. That is why they lost. And them leaning on their "character" depth guys at fwd instead of getting talented players was the main reason they did not get to a final.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think Adams is feeling some heat probably caused this. I actually agree McLeod is pretty solid & youngish. Savoie probably is somewhat redundant in their system with similar players. But I’d imagine you would have hoped to squeeze a better secondary asset out of Edmonton.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
My hope for this off-season was for the Flyers to acquire a quality center for MM’s line. I don’t want to see MM trying to break into the League as a center. Of course I also think that Frost can fill that role but I don’t believe that Tortorella will get off of MF’s back and allow him to do that. Wishful thinking- Briere tells Torts that he has to find a way to make Michkov and Frost work or his ass will be down the road. I doubt it but one can dream.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
With the amount of value the Flyers seemingly place on intangibles like leadership, character, grit, etc it's amazing they even traded Simmonds at all. I mean, is Hartman plus a 3/4 really worth losing what they had "in the room"?

It's why Scoot is still here. I don't have the link, but someone here posted a quote from Briere recently where he was talking to Laughton about possibly being traded. He said something to the affect of "other teams don't know how valuable you are, but we do." It's vomit inducing.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So Weddell bought out boqvist just to turn around and bring in jack johnson. Picked lindstrom with demidov on the board. Bridged one of the few young talents in chinakov so he can extend him at premium later on. Gave up texier for nothing. And then he signed his own version of haysey when he reunited gaudreau and monahan.

I was just about to lay into him when I realized briere just bought out cambo, signed erik johnson, drafted luchenko and come to think of it we are dealing with some millbury type of shit ourselves. It's really sabres and jackets of the league we belong in conversation with.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Think we'll find out soon he wasn't the brains behind the Carolina machine.

man-behind-the-curtain.jpeg

Rebel247

Mar 19, 2022
Just want to get some opinikns after some recent moves.

What is value of Laughton considering what guys like McLeod, Joseph and Jensen have fetched.

How does Ersson compare to Askarov?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
My hope for this off-season was for the Flyers to acquire a quality center for MM’s line. I don’t want to see MM trying to break into the League as a center. Of course I also think that Frost can fill that role but I don’t believe that Tortorella will get off of MF’s back and allow him to do that. Wishful thinking- Briere tells Torts that he has to find a way to make Michkov and Frost work or his ass will be down the road. I doubt it but one can dream.
If we’re lucky he will play with a healthy Couturier. I agree that the Stone Age bozo running the team won’t want to play him with Frost for reasons that make no sense.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
This made me think: when was the last time the Flyers made a judgment call on a prospect before or during their ELC? Gauthier doesn't count. Obviously, I don't think this team has been in position to be selling. But there is such a thing as getting out in front of value drops and honestly re-assessing your own talent each year. You can screw that up too!

But I remember Isaac Ratcliffe was an untouchable prospect. You'd never believe it with how the Flyers think they're the smartest team, but they likely value their own prospects way too highly. Only to later tank the NHL usage/value even for the best ones. It's like the worst of both worlds, and it doesn't make sense. I call it: "The Deadhead Prospect Principle."
They walked away from signing Joacim Eriksson 3 years after drafting him? That's all I got.

Reactions: Magua

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad