NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Carolina doesn’t really get in bidding wars for anybody within their organization. They’re pretty data driven in all their decisions/strategy so I don’t think they feel like anybody is irreplaceable.

They did it previously with Don Waddle for example too. They essentially told him if he thinks he can get a better price elsewhere than so be it but he ultimately came back to them.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I am absolutely did NOT expect Jets out in 5.

Also, holy crap, Vancouver, just finish the series. At least Šilovs was solid, that first goal should had been challenged & overturned and he was screened on the second one. The biggest travesty is Vancouver scoring only ONE goal in 60mins, and it came from a defenseman. Petersson is so invisible that injury seems like the only credible explanation, but who knows.

Seeing two Latvians (Arty Party and Blueger) eliminated "in one take" would be painful.

Saros was pretty ridiculous last night.

Reactions: Larry44

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Nashville should have already won the series. Canucks are hanging on.

That EN post sure did not help NSH

Saros was pretty ridiculous last night.

He was the better of two goalies, but Vancouver has been missing grade-A chances entire series and have also been very selective with their shots. IIRC they have 2nd least amount of shots thru 5 play-off games in NHL history.

Edit - source:

Essentially - they wait for high danger scoring chances and when they get there, are not great at capitalizing those either. Their HDCF% is 61.43% (2nd highest in play-offs), yet HDSH% is 10% (lowest in play-offs).

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Are his contract demands that unreasonable? How often does a successful coach get dumped because of contract negotiations?
An hour before this, Don Waddell said it was getting taken care of. It’s strange that this is happening now, which tells me someone is wanting clarity.

The belief is that Brind’Amour wants his assistants taken care of, which is the same thing that happened last time he got extended.

Reactions: renberg

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

It’s wild to me how many Islanders fans are seemingly content being stuck in no man’s land.

I get it sucks to bottom out but ultimately that’s what the current system rewards. There’s probably like 5-6 teams a year that legitimately have a shot at winning a title, Cinderellas never go the distance as much as the just get in theory is often presented. Then there’s a ton of teams stuck in the middle & then probably about 5-6 teams competing for the top pick(s).

Fear of Isles going back to the dumpster fire they were for most of the 20 years between 1995 and 2015 maybe

I mean being an Isles fan was so bleak for much of that time that some playoffs and "Hope" of getting hot and going on run is certainly more appealing than what they endured in past

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Sounds like Seattle cut Hakstol not just because of players but because they figured out he’s coaching boring ass hockey. Wouldn’t be shocked if Ron Francis is cut because they want to be aggressive and he is the opposite
I thought it was treatment that got him fired

Are his contract demands that unreasonable? How often does a successful coach get dumped because of contract negotiations?
Didn't the same thing happen with Trotz and Caps?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I thought it was treatment that got him fired

Didn't the same thing happen with Trotz and Caps?
Caps didn’t want to lose Todd Reirden who they saw as the heir apparent, to which it is reminded that it’s a concept that never works.

• Haha
Reactions: Rebels57

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
DAL-VGK looks like a completely different sport from BOS-TOR. I get that upsets happen, but man does it feel like there’s a hard line between contenders and normal good teams (not just Islanders-style pretenders).
Realistically how many flat out contenders do we have in the playoffs now. Vegas, Stars, Cats, Avalanche, Rags and Canes? Now imagine flyers in best of 7 against any of them. Yet the front office doesn't even see the need let f***ing rocky go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad