News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
They would have continued to improve under Babcock. What they accomplished as 19 to 21 year olds was amazing. Just as amazingly they haven’t improved and maybe digressed a little already. I still say it’s all coaching.

What did they improve on under Babcock? They immediately got better offensively and defensively after he left.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Good riddance, however they went from 31st, 14th, 7th, 7th, Babcock gone…

Brooks Laich – Tyler Bozak – P.A. Parenteau
Colin Greening – William Nylander – Tobias Lindberg
Leo Komarov – Frederik Gauthier – Michael Grabner
Sam Carrick – Byron Froese – Brad Boyes

Morgan Rielly – Martin Marincin
Jake Gardiner – Frank Corrado
Andrew Campbell – T.J. Brennan

Starter: Garret Sparks

This was the lineup on the last game of the 2016 season, probably improving from there was more a question of replacing Laich-Bozak-Parenteau and Sparks with NHL players than it was the coaching.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

This was the lineup on the last game of the 2016 season, probably improving from there was more a question of replacing Laich-Bozak-Parenteau and Sparks with NHL players than it was the coaching.
May have well been for the final game but we had Kadri, JVR, Reimer, Uncle Leo, Hyman…

Stopper420

Feb 24, 2015
I can honestly see this team missing the playoffs next season. Woll is made of glass, Tanev will probably be injured in pre season most likely. The team will be out of luck.

Reactions: saffronleaf

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Bozak wasn't an NHL player? His career says otherwise.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I can honestly see this team missing the playoffs next season. Woll is made of glass, Tanev will probably be injured in pre season most likely. The team will be out of luck.

I read posters say this every year, wont happen our talent up front is simply to good we had terrible goaltending last season had significant injuries to our defense and still got 100+ points.

Reactions: Evilhomer

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

I doubt it. The D and G improved, and the core are still superstars in the regular season.

I think the Panthers are due for a cup hangover and the Lighting are due for a resurgence.

I boldly predict this is the year we win the Atlantic!

...and lose in the first round to the WC1 Bruins.

Reactions: Mckay

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs - 3 super elite stars - 0 Cups - 1 and 8 in playoffs
Panthers - 0 super elite stars - 1 Pres Trophy - 1 SCF - 1 SC Win
Vegas - 0 super elite stars - 1 SCF - 1 SC Win

Both Panthers and Golden Knights were heavy teams who had no huge drop off in talent. Further proof you cannot win with 3 soft, highly paid players surrounded by MEH players like Kampf, Jarnkrok, Dewar, and Gregor, let alone with a 4th making $11m but playing like a $2m player in the playoffs, at best.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Both Panthers and Golden Knights were heavy teams who had no huge drop off in talent. Further proof you cannot win with 3 soft, highly paid players surrounded by MEH players like Kampf, Jarnkrok, Dewar, and Gregor, let alone with a 4th making $11m but playing like a $2m player in the playoffs, at best.
Nylander is not super elite. He’s good but hes not that. Marner would be on the edge of the super elite but looking in , Matthews’ ability to score puts him in that class.

If they weren’t all paid like they were super elite it could be different, but they’ve been so poorly manage for the past 6 yrs I doubt it would be.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Proper cap distribution………

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Proper cap distribution………
Their 57 goal man is not signed until July 1 after winning a SC and scoring the winner in game #7 and gets a couple of million dollars raise. Our 40 goal winger who shows up when he feels like it gets a 67% raise at his peak and then goes back to the same PPG players for the rest of the year.

One team is a winner - one team is a loser.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander is not super elite. He’s good but hes not that. Marner would be on the edge of the super elite but looking in , Matthews’ ability to score puts him in that class.

If they weren’t all paid like they were super elite it could be different, but they’ve been so poorly manage for the past 6 yrs I doubt it would be.
So let's pay Marner and poorly manage the team a second go around? That is seriously insane. I am at a loss for words thinking about the incompetence of this organization under Shanny and he is still here. WOW.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Only meaningful change we've made is the coach.

Everything else is just a reshuffling of the deck chairs. Some new guys, some new cap shenanigans, same shoestring budget in net. Really, aside from the lack of obvious dumpster-diving for Tyler Ennis's, which I suspect we'll see come PTO season, could you really tell that this wasn't a Dubas offseason?

All they know how to do is tinker with the recipe. A spicy coach instead of a butter coach will do the trick!

Reactions: IPS and ToneDog

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Only meaningful change we've made is the coach.

Everything else is just a reshuffling of the deck chairs. Some new guys, some new cap shenanigans, same shoestring budget in net. Really, aside from the lack of obvious dumpster-diving for Tyler Ennis's, which I suspect we'll see come PTO season, could you really tell that this wasn't a Dubas offseason?

All they know how to do is tinker with the recipe. A spicy coach instead of a butter coach will do the trick!
Tre is somewhat handcuffed until next year

Give him one more year where he has some flexibility

If you take the Canucks as an example it took them a bit to make moves and get back on track. They were a disaster before Rutherford came in.

Next year they have a great opportunity to make big changes

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

If you take the Canucks as an example it took them a bit to make moves and get back on track. They were a disaster before Rutherford came in.

Only if they move on from Marner. And if that's what he does, he should have done it right away and gotten a good return for him instead of letting him walk for nothing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Top 2 highest AVV UFA players come off the board potentially allowing BT to decide how to allocate nearly $22 mil and the core 4 is done and no NMC standing in the way.

1720360655074.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad