News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I don't believe 'everything' was to be taken literally.
I wasn't expecting that but TBH I wasn't expecting nothing either. I guess running it back after you at least looked at breaking up the core is a philosophical change from the previous years. It comes back to what a management team is willing to sacrifice to achieve real change. Dubas right at the end implied he would consider changes. Tre said the same about looking around for a deal last summer (Willie deal?) Both scenarios likely relied on like for like exchange of talent so die on the vine. Shanny's "on the table" might mean only mean a slightly reduced commitment to like for like return so still not a sea change readjustment.

I can't think of a massive change that wouldn't involve Mitch or Willie but actually those were Myrtle's words not Leafs management. Changing the captain?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
What do they believe then if "everything is on the table"? Stolarz for Sammy? Tanev until he is ready for the nursing home? The below was said after the coach was let go and they didn't put the failure on SK. So far we have a slight adjustment of the deck chairs, nothing more. Maybe the contrition and the urgency we saw in that press conference has actually passed and only higher levels of chemistry and unity will be relied on.

There are times when you talk about patience, when it’s the suitable call,” said Shanahan, who would not address his contract directly. “However, when you see patterns persist and results don’t change, you have to adjust how you think about things. We will look at everything this summer and consider everything.”

“Fans here not only deserve, but demand a championship. There’s no complacency. We’re not here to sell jerseys, we’re here to win.”
All bullshit, they care about season ticket subscriptions and jersey sales……….
1719952072511.png

• Haha
Reactions: LeafSteel and nuck

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I'd rather give Willy the captaincy than Matthews, not even joking. At least he showed he wanted to be here long-term. All mercenary Matthews showed was he wanted to maximize his earning potential.

Willy is also far more likable.
I get the frustration; but you do realize he could've been a free agent yesterday and gone to any team almost for like 15+, right?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I get the frustration; but you do realize he could've been a free agent yesterday and gone to any team almost for like 15+, right?
Meh, don't care. They could all go and I wouldn't even blink. A culture change is needed and that starts at the top. The ball was in Matthews court last year to be a leader and he dropped it. It was floated out there that Nylander would take less if Matthews did, and we know how that ended up.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Meh, don't care. They could all go and I wouldn't even blink. A culture change is needed and that starts at the top. The ball was in Matthews court last year to be a leader and he dropped it. It was floated out there that Nylander would take less if Matthews did, and we know how that ended up.
Winner winner chicken dinner……….

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

The frustrating thing about the Toronto Maple Leafs and Auston Matthews is there’s always this residual Kawhi Leonard trauma like if you don’t accommodate him on x, y, z you might just lose him, or he’s already eyeing the exit or if we don’t have playoff success he’ll leave.

Sometimes, in the case of this captaincy, is he’s not even asking for it but there’s this desperation to give him even more, cause we just have to.

I just hope they can turn him into a mature, dependable and trusted organizational partner and leader and he can be counted on and has playoff success, setting the tone for everyone else behind him. If they go in that direction and give him the C hopefully he grows into it. But giving him a promotion doesn’t seem like the right initiative play.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

Take less than who, though?

But I think Willy's contract is more reflective of Marner's contract internally and Panarin's externally Given his last two seasons, it would always be in that range.

Reactions: socko

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The frustrating thing about the Toronto Maple Leafs and Auston Matthews is there’s always this residual Kawhi Leonard trauma like if you don’t accommodate him on x, y, z you might just lose him, or he’s already eyeing the exit or if we don’t have playoff success he’ll leave.

Sometimes, in the case of this captaincy, is he’s not even asking for it but there’s this desperation to give him even more, cause we just have to.

I just hope they can turn him into a mature, dependable and trusted organizational partner and leader and he can be counted on and has playoff success, setting the tone for everyone else behind him. If they go in that direction and give him the C hopefully he grows into it. But giving him a promotion doesn’t seem like the right initiative play.
This is what happens when you let the lunatics take over the asylum……..

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I get where that would come from, general Leaf fan paranoia and such. But we've had him since he was a teenager, and it's now been the better part of a decade.

Leonard was nearly 30 and with one year left on his deal, and now with Arizona not having a team, the likelihood of him bolting is very small.

Reactions: Menzinger and socko

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I get where that would come from, general Leaf fan paranoia and such. But we've had him since he was a teenager, and it's now been the better part of a decade.

Leonard was nearly 30 and with one year left on his deal, and now with Arizona not having a team, the likelihood of him bolting is very small.
Vegas isn’t far from home, Utah in fact is pretty close, and then there’s the limelight teams in California. I highly doubt he sticks around if there’s no playoff success, he’ll want to scratch a cup off his bucket list before retirement and that ain’t happening here……….

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

But I think Willy's contract is more reflective of Marner's contract internally and Panarin's externally Given his last two seasons, it would always be in that range.
He could have taken an exact duplicate of the MacKinnon contract and I wouldn't be unhappy with him one bit. $12.75m x 8 factoring in cap percentage.

It's not the cap hit I have problem with on Matthews contract anyways, it's the dog shit term he gave the Leafs. He's painted the Leafs into a corner on his next deal. Either they give him what will likely be a albatross contract for his age 31+ seasons or they let him walk as a UFA at age 30. Neither are likely to be appealing options.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He could have taken an exact duplicate of the MacKinnon contract and I wouldn't be unhappy with him one bit. $12.75m x 8 factoring in cap percentage.
That would've been nice, but they handled his second contract quite poorly, and pretty much all of the team construction issues stem from it.

But like I said, he could have taken this into the offseason if he wanted to (two months from FA) and really cash in, but he didn't.

Vegas isn’t far from home, Utah in fact is pretty close, and then there’s the limelight teams in California. I highly doubt he sticks around if there’s no playoff success, he’ll want to scratch a cup off his bucket list before retirement and that ain’t happening here……….
You're not wrong. Maybe it'll happen after this contract, but I think he's emotionally invested in winning here, even if the team performances have been underwhelming and largely disappointing.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
That would've been nice, but they handled his second contract quite poorly, and pretty much all of the team construction issues stem from it.

But like I said, he could have taken this into the offseason if he wanted to (two months from FA) and really cash in, but he didn't.

You're not wrong. Maybe it'll happen after this contract, but I think he's emotionally invested in winning here, even if the team performances have been underwhelming and largely disappointing.
Only thing still keeping him here is his bromance with the Beebs………

They should give the C to a different fan every night.
Paying to watch it run back is more deserving.
Maybe Simple Jack will get a C on his Marner jersey, you never know……

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Thats basically every superstars option in this league. Yet they don’t take their franchises to the cleaners every time they’re due for a raise.

You see any other teams in the league making their franchise player the highest paid for 4 year terms?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Only thing still keeping him here is his bromance with the Beebs………
Whatever it takes... ;)

But by that logic, he should've signed with the Kings in LA because JB spends about a week here all year, probably.

You see any other teams in the league making their franchise player the highest paid for 4 year terms?
Nope, and I mentioned that we handled his and the other two musketeers' contracts very poorly. Which is, in part, why we're here.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Whatever it takes... ;)

But by that logic, he should've signed with the Kings in LA because JB spends about a week here all year, probably.
Not out of the possibility of him landing there after his contract expires, or maybe he gets fed up of losing and waives?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad