News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
he’d expect 20% of the cap if he were to sign an 8 yr deal like the peasants sign. He’ll sign 12.75 x 4.
This is my thinking as well. 4 or 5 years in line with Matthews.
I believe it is Matthews’ goal to become a 200 million player (lifetime earnings) in NHL.

Marner plays the same game. If he signs for 8, he will be 36 and the money rapidly declines. In 4 years, he can take you again.

We will see how it plays out but I estimate we have about 4-5 more years (the Matthews contract) of run it back (Tavares included) to go.

Reactions: Nineteen67

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Just like last season, there is no realistic circumstance under which the leafs could miss the playoffs. What they do in the playoffs will be the question. A healthy lineup last season beats Boston in the first round, but probably doesn't get past Florida. Next season? Who knows.
oh boy, you're starting up again already?

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
oh boy, your starting up again already?
When people start talking about the Leafs missing the playoffs in this conference, there isn't much else to say. Who knows what happens in the playoffs, but the Leafs are not going to miss the playoffs.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When people start talking about the Leafs missing the playoffs in this conference, there isn't much else to say. Who knows what happens in the playoffs, but the Leafs are not going to miss the playoffs.
At least your holding off on predicting them catching Boston………

Reactions: Al14

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Why is signing Stolarz and OEL not meaningful, but punting Marner (cuffing him in the back of the head as he walks out the door) is?

Is "meaningful" just purly giving the fans their desired emotional response?
It´s not about emotional response from the fans.
It´s all about MLSE finally admiting that we cannot achieve PO success with 4 forwards making 11M+ each. Enough should be enough and the writing has been on the wall for a while now.
It´s high time to make difficult but necessary decisions. Getting rid of MM is one of these decisions.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It´s not about emotional response from the fans.
It´s all about MLSE finally admiting that we cannot achieve PO success with 4 forwards making 11M+ each. Enough should be enough and the writing has been on the wall for a while now.
It´s high time to make difficult but necessary decisions. Getting rid of MM is one of these decisions.
What if they don't believe that?

Reactions: leafs in five

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
:laugh: What were people expecting to happen after yesterday?
Man, the Frothers are a funny bunch.

FYI - season starts in 3 months.
To be fair, I don't think we need 3 months to know that the required change to turn this team into an actual contender, isn't going to happen.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To be fair, I don't think we need 3 months to know that the required change to turn this team into an actual contender, isn't going to happen.
1719939805148.png

• Haha
Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
-------------------

As far as this taking away the C from Tavares, and putting it on Matthews.... I'm not sure what to say. Does the guy seem like a leader to anyone? That being said... who is a leader on this team? Who would you give it to?

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
It's clear having so much cap tied to the core 4 isn't going to work.

Yes the Leafs will make the playoffs again but the combination of those 4 players and whatever the Leafs can afford with leftovers wont win them the Cup.

I like the moves so far on the back end. The Leafs have a better d corps than last season but it was lack of scoring that killed them in the playoffs. That and a dried up PP.

If Tre is really running it back with the same core 4, expect similar results from previous years. Good regular season and playoff struggles.

There's a tiny chance that the coaching change will have a big enough impact. But that's more likely a pipe dream.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Stripping the C from Tavares is the absolute least they can do, but it is still an important step. Tavares has been a completely ineffectual leader.
What, exactly, does stripping / reallocating the C actually accomplish though?

Big markets like Toronto and Montreal constantly over-value the role of the captaincy - an incredible captain isn't going to turn a quiet, dysfunctional/confidence lacking room around, in the same way that a really strong leadership core in the dressing room can overcome a quiet or ineffective captain.

Plus, it's not like the Leafs have a ready-made obvious replacement - Matthews isn't a leader. He's not captain material. He's nowhere close to it.

So, again, I ask - what the hell is the point of stripping the captaincy away, and how does anyone actually benefit tangibly from it?

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011

Won't happen. But let's say it did... "Look! We're making changes!!"

-------------------

As far as this taking away the C from Tavares, and putting it on Matthews.... I'm not sure what to say. Does the guy seem like a leader to anyone? That being said... who is a leader on this team? Who would you give it to?
Rielly. Took a bit of a discount at the time of his latest contract. I realize last year he wasn't the best. But he does seem to care.

Auston seems too monotone and doesn't seem to have leadership qualities. But who knows, I am not in the locker room.

Reactions: rumman

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What, exactly, does stripping / reallocating the C actually accomplish though?

Big markets like Toronto and Montreal constantly over-value the role of the captaincy - an incredible captain isn't going to turn a quiet, dysfunctional/confidence lacking room around, in the same way that a really strong leadership core in the dressing room can overcome a quiet or ineffective captain.

Plus, it's not like the Leafs have a ready-made obvious replacement - Matthews isn't a leader. He's not captain material. He's nowhere close to it.

So, again, I ask - what the hell is the point of stripping the captaincy away, and how does anyone actually benefit tangibly from it?
First of all, it gives accountability to the in-room leadership. The Captain on a team is an important role, and allowing someone who fails in that role to stay just perpetuates the idea that success doesn't matter. I don't think I agree with your suggestion that the role is over valued, but regardless there really is no case to be made that a) Tavares has done a good job or that b) the position is so meaningless that it doesn't matter at all. Any amount of accountability we can bring to this core, no matter how slight, is of tangible benefit.

Tavares is not a strong leader and we do not have a strong leadership core in the room to overcome that. Reassigning the C (and the A's for that matter) is important to start that leadership transition.

I believe it is Matthews who will get the C. If he really, really, really doesn't want it (why the hell is he the highest paid player in the league) then give it to Rielly. But the fact is that Matthews is the guy. Everyone on the bench looks at him when things are dire and he needs to embrace that.

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7 and colchar

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
1719940553487.png

It’s abundantly clear that this meant that management would now be mixing their clearly indicated Left foot and Right foot socks on the wrong feet.

Crazy bastards.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Won't happen. But let's say it did... "Look! We're making changes!!"

Rielly. Took a bit of a discount at the time of his latest contract. I realize last year he wasn't the best. But he does seem to care.

Auston seems too monotone and doesn't seem to have leadership qualities. But who knows, I am not in the locker room.
Rielly is the only one I can come up with as well.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
-------------------

Rielly would probably be the logical choice, but I wouldn't be upset if McCabe got it (there is no chance he would get it, but I think an "A" could be considered).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You're assuming your requirements and the team requirements align.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
:laugh: What were people expecting to happen after yesterday?
Man, the Frothers are a funny bunch.

FYI - season starts in 3 months.

True, but I think we're collectively cringing at the thought of The Marner Saga(TM) all season...

But hey, like I said earlier, there's always next year (to make changes)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad