News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Moonman

Maybe Next Time
Jul 3, 2015
I don't care about what we do with the periphery of this team.

It's the core that needs to change. We already bankrupted our draft capital to help them and it didn't work.

So sick of the "let's try this or let's try that". How many more tries are we gonna go through?

Next year will be the same results. Bad playoff performances from the core.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Tanev could be better than anything we signed last year (if he stays healthy) but after multiple years of playoff failure and the big press conference of patterns and patience, we have just rearranged the deck chairs here.

Tre 2nd year trying to throw UFAs around a core that can’t get it done or play the playoff way.

For those of you that thought anything would ever change, sorry folks.
After all these years, they fooled me again.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
The 2024-25 roster is not a finished product.
Maybe not, but I think it's pretty close. There's not a lot of room to do too much more and while I do believe they'll still make and take calls and always be looking to be better, the chances of a big move were always slim.

I've long thought that if you ran it back last year, you pretty much do again this year with a different coach. Contrary to what everyone says, it's a very good hockey team and next year you have a lot of flexibility to do what you want, this year not so much. So another year of trying to get the right mix of FAs in and hope Woll (or Stolarz) is the guy in net. I mean, if you find the right deal and you can get Marner to waive, let's go, I just think everything points to that not being the case. I find it more likely he is re-signed than that he is traded.

Reactions: leafs in five

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
I actually do believe management is finally ready to make a big change. It just came an off-season too late and now our hands are tied with all the core pieces having full-NMCs.

Likely plan now is to ride out Tavares' final year and take a wait-and-see approach with Mitch.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Lol. So it's looking like this line was just lip service to calm the fan base down. I cannot believe that they fooled me again..

I
Might as well sign Marner for 8 years at this point, add in a full NMC also. Just keep the gang together forever

I'm honestly wondering what I did in my past life that was so bad that my penance was being a fan of this team in this life. Lol.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I
Might as well sign Marner for 8 years at this point, add in a full NMC also. Just keep the gang together forever

I'm honestly wondering what I did in my past life that was so bad that my penance was being a fan of this team in this life. Lol.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I really despise these kinds of articles. Of course they “could” make changes if they exit early again. Will the next article be about if the leafs finally go deep in the playoffs that Shanahan “could” be extended? Literal verbal diarrhea

Reactions: rumman and ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I actually do believe management is finally ready to make a big change. It just came an off-season too late and now our hands are tied with all the core pieces having full-NMCs.

Likely plan now is to ride out Tavares' final year and take a wait-and-see approach with Mitch.
Sens took the L in the Chychrun trade because they knew they needed a change. Leafs are afraid to move off a core piece. Refused last year with Nylander and this year with Marner. Most likely will not be willing to allow Marner to walk for free so instead they will pay him more than Willie. How can you compete with Florida when they just handed a 57 goal scorer and SC winner 8v8.625 while we pay playoff failures 13.25m,11.5m and probably cave to Marner at $12.5m? Answer, you cannot and here we are.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is this a joke

Yes. Jokes on you horner! Now buy the jersey and $300 ticket and be grateful to Rogers and Bell media for keeping you in the know and essentially sabotaging Leafs signing and trade deals. Or else! More price hikes and less televised games without subscriptions.

Oh and Happy Canada Day. Rogers and Bell require more taxpayer grants for more highspeed something or other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad