Rumor: Mirtle and Seigel: Offers for Matt Roy could reach 6 million AAV, Leafs interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Roy would be the best right shot dman the Leafs have had in the Matthews era... Sad to say. But a guy who can skate and can move the puck better than just putting it off the boards and out on the right side is a good fit for us.

Would likely make a 2nd pair with McCabe which would be likely our shutdown pair again. Not sure how physical he is but McCabe is very physical so might be a good fit there.

Would still need a guy to play with Rielly (Tanev maybe?). Could potentially let Domi and Bertuzzi walk, sign both of those guys, and still have 10-11M left for a 1B goalie and a forward.
That isn't what you would be getting in Roy.

Roy is a very good, consistent stay at homer, but he has below average puck skills. His breakouts are the weakness of his game, he is very much a chip up and out defender who has a lot of trouble making passes longer than 15 feet.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
is $6m for Roy really news? he's a quality top 4 D.

Given the jump in cap, I think many folks are underestimating how much higher it will cause salaries to go.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I suggested 6x6 quite a while ago. Not surprised that's what he'll get.

He'd be my #1 UFA target if I was Staios. Pesce and Tanev would be great if Roy wasnt interested though.

Reactions: Wallet Inspector

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If someone gives Matt Roy $6 million, than that’s what the market was on July 1. He’s a very high-end supporting, role playing Dman. I’d take Matt Roy at $6 million anyday over Filip Hronek at $7.25 in a 7 game playoff series. You’d be a fool not to.

He’s a legit #3 who’s been carrying a pairing in LA. He won’t have to do that with the team he’s gonna sign with. Im not sure he’s a lock for Detroit like some others might suggest, but he’s gonna be a great addition wherever he does sign. He would be a perfect partner for Edvinsson for the next few years though. That’s for sure.

Reactions: flychairman

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Correct. But I say he's a $4m guy and anything over that is just ridiculous. He's good but not great.

I find it funny with some of the names people really want to sign...Roy, Walker, Durzi. LA had it all and got nothing in return. At one point it was Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi, Clarke, Faber, and Spence.
RHD getting paid!

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Reactions: GIN ANTONIC

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
So sick of always hearing “leafs interested in everyone”
They have awful cap situation, no goalie still so will never do anything in playoffs as we have seen but yet they are going to sign everyone. SMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad