Rumor: Mirtle and Seigel: Offers for Matt Roy could reach 6 million AAV, Leafs interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
McCabe is your 2nd highest paid defender. 2 defense acquisitions is pretty much guaranteed

Yeah that's the thing, I think Brad is going to be VERY aggressive because he has to be, not only does he need at least 2 D, but with Domi and Bertuzzi days away from free agency they need to be replaced too.

If those Jeff Skinner buy-out rumours are true I wonder is he a target? I mean I'd like to keep both Bertuzzi and Domi, but the reality is combined they scored 30 goals.

Skinner scored 24 himself.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You can already see the price of D going up with Hroneks number. Hard to say Roy isn’t a 6x6 guy when players like Nurse, Werenski, Jones got what they got a long time ago in a lower cap league. $6M for a guy like Roy is the new $4.75M for a guy like Roy.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
According to Jonas Seigel and James Mirtle, offers for Matt Roy could reach 6 million AAV and the Leafs are interested although their top target is still Taneb.

Up front Domi and Bertuzzi look like they are going to market and the Leafs targets in terms of forwards are Debrusk, Perron and Jousha.

I think Perron has a pretty good chance to end up in Toronto if he hits the market Monday, he's been speaking very highly of both Berube and Marc Savard.

I don't want Jousha for the money he's going to get.

Debrusk I would LOVE especially if Bertuzzi leaves.

“According to Jonas Seigel and James Mirtle”

I assume it’s according to Matt Roy’s agent, who told them in order to have them pump up his client.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The Leafs are reportedly interested in a player?

Is this a first?

"Hmmm.....how can we just float some random rumour out there AND get people's attention?"

"Is it based on fact from a reputable source or anything?"

"Nah, not at all. I'm just bored."

"Say the Leafs are interested."

"Are they?"

"Who cares."

"You're a genius."

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Roy is exactly what the leafs need and if he signs with him at 6mil a lot of fans will be upset but it may help the team in the long run

Jan 21, 2018
The Leafs are reportedly interested in a player?

Is this a first?

A leafs hater is obsessed with talking about the Leafs?

Is this a first?

Why do you think the media keeps mentioning that Toronto is interested in every player? Because it gets people like you to talk about Toronto.

The same people that complain that the media only talks about Toronto are the same people that the media is trying to target.

You are the problem, stop talking about Toronto if you don’t want them to be the center of the hockey universe.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
It really seems like Brad is going to make at least a
couple significant moves, there is to much smoke to be no fire
I'm sorry, but as a Flames fan I can say that a lot of smoke with fire absolutely nowhere to be seen is what Tre is all about.

For a while I was excited that Tre always seemed to work the phones to make big trades or UFA signings, but realized later that in the end he just ended up trading 3rd round pick for a bottom pairing D at the deadline.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
He's a minutes eater and can play hard matchups, but he'll leave you wanting on offense side. (career high 26 points) Ideally he's a $5 million Dman, but with inflated UFA prices I can see him getting 6.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He's a minutes eater and can play hard matchups, but he'll leave you wanting on offense side. (career high 26 points) Ideally he's a $5 million Dman, but with inflated UFA prices I can see him getting 6.
How is his skating?

And like as a defensive guy, how would describe his style of play? Good at stopping the rush, breaking up passing plays... more of a board play, net front guy, shot blocker, big hits, etc...

Reactions: SlavinAway

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
How is his skating?
Good skating. Matt Roy has a lot of good tools but his weakness as a defenseman is that he is awful around the net and in front of the crease. It’s a running joke on the Kings board that he will pretty much “spectate” and not cover the man in front of the net ever for easy tap ins. I don’t know why he sucks at that because he’s guaranteed to lose his man and not cover his man near the net. Really poor active stick around the goal as well.

Hes good everywhere else like around the boards and all that fun stuff. He just starts lag spiking like crazy near the net and loses coverage easily.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
How is his skating?

And like as a defensive guy, how would describe his style of play? Good at stopping the rush, breaking up passing plays... more of a board play, net front guy, shot blocker, big hits, etc...
Hes a good but not great skater. Good on the rush and never gets burned. Solid hitter but wont take anyones head off. Good on the wall separating the puck from guys without taking penalties. Probably a tiny bit below average breakout pass.
His big knock lately is how atrocious he was in front of his own net.
Seemed like any time a goal was scored against the Kings he was standing in front of the net covering no one and teams were free to go far post for a goal or stand in front for point blank shots and rebounds. Hed just be standing there doing nothing. It happened what seemed like every game.

Reactions: Sol

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Roy would be the best right shot dman the Leafs have had in the Matthews era... Sad to say. But a guy who can skate and can move the puck better than just putting it off the boards and out on the right side is a good fit for us.

Would likely make a 2nd pair with McCabe which would be likely our shutdown pair again. Not sure how physical he is but McCabe is very physical so might be a good fit there.

Would still need a guy to play with Rielly (Tanev maybe?). Could potentially let Domi and Bertuzzi walk, sign both of those guys, and still have 10-11M left for a 1B goalie and a forward.

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Correct. But I say he's a $4m guy and anything over that is just ridiculous. He's good but not great.

I find it funny with some of the names people really want to sign...Roy, Walker, Durzi. LA had it all and got nothing in return. At one point it was Doughty, Roy, Walker, Durzi, Clarke, Faber, and Spence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad