Minnesota Wild General Discussion XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the Hanzal thing was an overreaction, but it definitely didn't kill the season.

In fact you could say Haula was just as responsible as any player on our team at the time for our deepest playoff run of this era (Lolololol)

He literally took McKinnon out of the conversation for almost the entirety of that series playing a defensive role.

I think you might want to refresh yourself as to what "literally" means.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
As this is a general Wild discussion, and Haula ain't been Wild for a good while, how about a new topic:

Wild Centers. Okay actually an old topic.

Does anyone see Ek breaking out this year? Like, to 45-50 points?

He was on pace for 38 points or so last season.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As this is a general Wild discussion, and Haula ain't been Wild for a good while, how about a new topic:

Depends on where he plays and how many minutes. If he gets 1st line everything I’ll be disappointed with anything less than 55 point pace.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
He has always been credited with a good shot, and we know he is a pain to play against.

My dream ceiling for him is a 40-50 point guy who plays shutdown minutes. His physical conditioning is legendary, and he has size, and some skill, just 23.

PP? Maybe 2nd shift? We'll see what his game can become.

Reactions: 57special

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey

Depends on if he gets an elevated role and maybe some PP time. I don’t think 50 is out of the realm of possibility. I think him centering either Kaprizov or Fiala will help boost his point total.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

38 point pace, no PP time, mediocre offensive linemates. No bad.

I think there is a 55 point center in there. But next season is the time for it to come out.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
JEE would have to drastically improve his faceoffs to be a 50+ point center, because he'll never see any PP time if he's a 46% faceoff guy.

He doesn't have any offensive skill that screams "Put me on the PP". So if they are going to square peg into a round hole one of our C's into PP duty, it'll be Bonino who's been a 53% face off guy the last 3 years. Bjugstad and Johansson are also more likely to get PP time in my opinion.

JEE is still extremely valuable as a 40 point C with heavy PK duties.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
JEE would have to drastically improve his faceoffs to be a 50+ point center, because he'll never see any PP time if he's a 46% faceoff guy.

He doesn't have any offensive skill that screams "Put me on the PP". So if they are going to square peg into a round hole one of our C's into PP duty, it'll be Bonino who's been a 53% face off guy the last 3 years. Bjugstad and Johansson are also more likely to get PP time in my opinion.

Faceoffs are not what is holding Eriksson Ek back from the powerplay.

Tell me which of these guys you'd take off a powerplay with their 46- faceoff percentages:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barzal

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Tell me which of these guys you'd take off a powerplay with their 46- faceoff percentages:

McDavid
MacKinnon
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barzal
How does it make any sense to compare Eriksson-Ek to any of those names?

Reactions: mattihp

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

It'll be a tremendous waste if we don't try to see if he can be anything more than that.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

McDavid
MacKinnon
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barzal

This is an absurd comparison.

Obviously if you're an elite offensive player, they are going to put you on the PP regardless, because you contribute to the scoring a lot.

Is JEE an elite offensive player? What skill does he have to contribute to a power play that say Bonino isn't going to be able to do as well, while winning 53% of the faceoffs? Koivu got PP minutes long after he should have, because he was still an elite faceoff winner.

There has to be some sort of justification for putting a player on the PP, over other players who can probably contribute more offensively. What's the justification for JEE? The only justification would be if he can win faceoffs at a high level. He hasn't shown he can do that.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It'll be a tremendous waste if we don't try to see if he can be anything more than that.
If all those points are at even strength? Why?

I haven't seen anything in JEE's 5v5 play, which i'm a huge fan of, to suggest he adds much of anything in PP situations. Let him do extremely well 5v5 with heavy PK minutes.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is an absurd comparison.

Obviously if you're an elite offensive player, they are going to put you on the PP regardless, because you contribute to the scoring a lot.

Is JEE an elite offensive player? What skill does he have to contribute to a power play that say Bonino isn't going to be able to do as well, while winning 53% of the faceoffs? Koivu got PP minutes long after he should have, because he was still an elite faceoff winner.

There has to be some sort of justification for putting a player on the PP, over other players who can probably contribute more offensively. What's the justification for JEE? The only justification would be if he can win faceoffs at a high level. He hasn't shown he can do that.

It's not a comparison.

JEE isn't on the powerplay cause he so far hasn't shown the offensive abilities to be there. Faceoffs are not the reason.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's not a comparison.

JEE isn't on the powerplay cause he so far hasn't shown the offensive abilities to be there. Faceoffs are not the reason.

So you're basically splitting hairs, i'm saying the same thing?

He doesn't have any skills that would put himself on the PP, if he was a 53% face off guy with our current centers, he'd likey see some PP time. As faceoffs are a skill coache's still value.

He's not, so he won't.

Reactions: mattihp

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So you're basically splitting hairs, i'm saying the same thing?

He doesn't have any skills that would put himself on the PP, if he was a 53% face off guy with our current centers, he'd likey see some PP time. As faceoffs are a skill coache's still value.

He's not, so he won't.

Sure, we agree that he's not good enough offensively to be a regular on the PP yet. But I disagree with the sentiment that faceoffs are holding him back. Even if he raises his faceoff percentage to 53 he'll still be behind Bonino and Johansson who are better offensively and more suited to the PP.

If he displays the kind of offense that would be good for the PP, he'll get PP time, even if his faceoffs are still at 45.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
In seasons like the one coming, when the Wild are not going to be competitive, I would be in favor of giving JEE some PP TOI. Bonino might be better, but the long term investment is JEE, not him. Let's see if we can't coach him up to have a bit more offense.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail

McDavid
MacKinnon
Scheifele
Pettersson
Barzal

Oh but I’m sure our other centers have significantly better offense than JEE too right?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Oh but I’m sure our other centers have significantly better offense than JEE too right?

I'm not sure why you're so upset. I've been one of the most vocal advocates of giving Eriksson Ek more opportunities, including powerplay time.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Sure, we agree that he's not good enough offensively to be a regular on the PP yet. But I disagree with the sentiment that faceoffs are holding him back. Even if he raises his faceoff percentage to 53 he'll still be behind Bonino and Johansson who are better offensively and more suited to the PP.

If he displays the kind of offense that would be good for the PP, he'll get PP time, even if his faceoffs are still at 45.

I think you're under-estimating the importance coaches still put on faceoffs. If he was a good faceoff guy, without improving anything else, he would see PP time. You can sort by PP faceoffs taken and it shows you all you need to know. There are atleast 10 guys in the top 50 that the only reason they see PP time is because they win faceoffs at a high level.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If all those points are at even strength? Why?

I haven't seen anything in JEE's 5v5 play, which i'm a huge fan of, to suggest he adds much of anything in PP situations. Let him do extremely well 5v5 with heavy PK minutes.

Because there's nothing on the roster that is preventing us from doing so. We know that he can fall back to what he currently is, so why shouldn't we see if there's more there?

I'm not just talking about the power play, I'm talking about better 5v5 time as well.

I think you're under-estimating the importance coaches still put on faceoffs. If he was a good faceoff guy, without improving anything else, he would see PP time. You can sort by PP faceoffs taken and it shows you all you need to know. There are atleast 10 guys in the top 50 that the only reason they see PP time is because they win faceoffs at a high level.

I think you're over-estimating the impact of a 7% difference. And JEE has improved on faceoffs every year he's been in the league. There's no reason he needs to stop now.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Because there's nothing on the roster that is preventing us from doing so. We know that he can fall back to what he currently is, so why shouldn't we see if there's more there?

I'm not just talking about the power play, I'm talking about better 5v5 time as well.

I've fully been in favor of letting him run with offensive players on the 2nd line to see if there is more there. I've got a number of posts arguing for it.

I think with the PP, given the high scoring situations there needs to be a reason, beyond "lets see if he can do it". If he show's there is more at 5v5, maybe that's the reason. If he improves his faceoffs (which he certainly can), that might be a reason for Evason. Status quo, I see no reason to.

I think you're over-estimating the impact of a 7% difference. And JEE has improved on faceoffs every year he's been in the league. There's no reason he needs to stop now.

The proof is in the pudding. Like I said, look at the players who see PP time, there are plenty there solely for their faceoff ability. Boone Jenner and Jordan Staal are 25 point players these days, and saw 100 minutes of PP time solely to take faceoffs. Koivu, same, Bonino, Bozek, Eller, etc.

It's the reason Bonino will center the 2nd PP unit, and JEE won't get a sniff of it until he shows there is a reason for it. Coaches hate losing PP faceoffs.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
weird thing I saw yesterday, I was at Total wine in Burnsville and I saw a 20 wild jersey with a C. Did TW leak the next Wild captain? I couldn't see if the nameplate had Suter, but I had a quick chuckle about it. Anyone else in the area ever go there and see that. I'm 99% it probably has something to do with 2020 or the 20th TW store opened. Just thought that was funny.

So place your bets on Suter being the next captain. :popcorn:

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
weird thing I saw yesterday, I was at Total wine in Burnsville and I saw a 20 wild jersey with a C. Did TW leak the next Wild captain? I couldn't see if the nameplate had Suter, but I had a quick chuckle about it. Anyone else in the area ever go there and see that. I'm 99% it probably has something to do with 2020 or the 20th TW store opened. Just thought that was funny.

So place your bets on Suter being the next captain. :popcorn:

ugh i hope not. The guy has no fire to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: