Minnesota Wild General Discussion VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand why we'd move Ek from the C position. He is the only bona fide C that we have except for the old dudes. All the rest, such as Coyle, Ganlund, and Foligno are really only C's as a their second position. I sure as hell don't want to mess with Granlund by moving him back to C.

Are you happy with what Coyle has provided so far in his career? Is he best at center or wing?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Are you happy with what Coyle has provided so far in his career? Is he best at center or wing?
I'm more positive than most about Coyle's play at C, but ideally, he is a RW. I can't forget how good he was together with Nino and Staal two years ago.

I don't think you can find a single person who is happy with what he has done in his career so far, because we have seen glimpses of a Coyle for ten day stretches or during a shootout where he flashes elite, or near elite, offensive skills. Those,matched with his physical skills( good speed, very strong), make us all dream of a 30/30 power forward, but it never seems to materialize. He simply isn't consistent enough.

I would be interested to see how he would do on a line with Ek and Greenway, where he is expected to be the leader of a line for the first time, AND, he would have at least one( Ek), if not two,players that would do as much, if not more of the dirty work that he is accustomed to doing, which would free him up to be more offensive.
That could end up being one hell of a 3rd line.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I'm happy with Coyle until I'm not. What I'm trying to say is when he plays and is involved in the game I like him; but when he's not into games and becomes completely passive and a perimeter player I don't like him. There just isn't any middle ground in his game, it's either on or off.

He's a (P-FWD/top-6) winger that thinks he's a center; which he is a passable 3C. If he buys in completely to being a winger he could be a force this year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm happy with Coyle until I'm not. What I'm trying to say is when he plays and is involved in the game I like him; but when he's not into games and becomes completely passive and a perimeter player I don't like him. There just isn't any middle ground in his game, it's either on or off.

He's a (P-FWD/top-6) winger that thinks he's a center; which he is a passable 3C. If he buys in completely to being a winger he could be a force this year.
Well said, but the reality of the long NHL season is that no one brings it for 82 games. What I want from him is 45-55 pts. (depending on usage, i.e. PP, linemates, position) during the regular season, then for him to show up during the playoffs. He is one of those guys who is really useful to have around when the physical play starts, because he won't be bullied.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Wrong. He's just as good at center as he is at wing. Coyle will always be a player that's dependant on his linemates.

nstarjim

Jul 5, 2018
What? A wild forward who isn't an all star all all by themselves, and relies on team depth to win:sarcasm:

Reactions: MVPGoon

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
But I don't think I can watch it out here in Washington. FSN areas only...at least I'll be back in MN for the season opener and the game against Vegas. Under unfortunate circumstances, but it's a light in the dark.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
If the Wild stay mostly healthy, then I think the season rests on the shoulders of that Greenway line.

We need a big season from them. We know what healthy Parise is. We know what healthy Nino is.

We need Coyle, Greenway, and JEE to perform and at a high level.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
We know what a healthy Parise in his 20's is. We have no clue as to what a healthy Parise at 34 is.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
If the Wild stay mostly healthy, then I think the season rests on the shoulders of that Greenway line.

We need a big season from them. We know what healthy Parise is. We know what healthy Nino is.

We need Coyle, Greenway, and JEE to perform and at a high level.
I think the Wild make the playoffs regardless. The third line shouldn’t be the make or break line on this team.

Reactions: 2Pair

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I think the Wild make the playoffs regardless. The third line shouldn’t be the make or break line on this team.
I'm talking about the entire season. From PO seeding, to how far we go (1st round, SCF, etc).

Assuming we make the PO's, that line has to be an x-factor because every team in the PO's has super stars and depth.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think it's somewhere in the middle. I don't think that they need to be great, but they absolutely can't be as bad as they were last year

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I think it's somewhere in the middle. I don't think that they need to be great, but they absolutely can't be as bad as they were last year
Not constantly having between 1 and 5 of their 6 top 9 wingers injured at a time should do wonders for the depth this year.

Reactions: 2Pair

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

If they spend most of their time in their own zone and/or can't score, then it could absolutely break the team. Although, if that's the case, then they won't be a line for very long anyway.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Seems like it could be an early money move as well. Not sure if that'll come into play as much as years past though.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Seems like it could be an early money move as well. Not sure if that'll come into play as much as years past though.
Read has a smaller cap hit than Brown. Also, we are $1.7m ish away from the cap ceiling with a full roster. Last year we were pushing the ceiling with 21 players on a 23 man roster.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Read has a smaller cap hit than Brown. Also, we are $1.7m ish away from the cap ceiling with a full roster. Last year we were pushing the ceiling with 21 players on a 23 man roster.
Read has a 2-way though, so he only makes 200k in the minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad