Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Wild Sign Jonas Brodin to Extension (7 year, $6M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
22 is an arbitrary cutoff.

30 and older: Suter, Spurgeon, Parise, Zuccarello

27 and under: Brodin, Dumba, Soucy, Fiala, Eriksson Ek, Kunin, Greenway, Donato, Kaprizov, Kahkonen

The "retirement home" nonsense continues to be overblown.

Prospect pool ranked, at worst, middle of the pack. Probably more in the 10-15 range and we get to add a 9th overall pick in a month.

Why is 22 an arbitrary cutoff? The poster I am responding to quotes an article about how the Wild are in 15th in terms of organizational ratings with a 22 year old cutoff?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
I actually loled at the 22 cutoff. Fiala 24, Kaprizov 23, Eriksson Ek 23, Greenway 23, Donato 24, and Hartman 25 just for forwards.

Wow! What a group.. Central better watch out or a bunch of 30 pt wingers are going to burn it up.

If this is your comeback, I don't even know. The Wild had a very dynamic team a couple of years ago and their lack of elite talent was their unraveling multiple playoffs. This group is even worse than what they had up front then.

And if Guerin is intent on contending why is he moving out Zucker of all the LWs when he is cost controlled? Addison is a solid prospect, but given what the Wild are dumping into their D what's the point?

Once again, this is where my criticism of the Brodin contract comes from. You've dumped a ton of money into players that need to win in a couple years, yet your making trades and have a prospect pool that in large part will take a couple years to get ready. Just seems to lack planning, which once again is the perfect sign of being a Rutherford acolyte.

Maybe Isles go for the Parise trade for Ladd, but that doesn't really change much for the Wild in terms of cap commitment.

Last edited:

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Wow! What a group.. Central better watch out or a bunch of 30 pt wingers are going to burn it up.

If this is your comeback, I don't even know. The Wild had a very dynamic team a couple of years ago and their lack of elite talent was their unraveling multiple playoffs. This group is even worse than what they had up front then.

And if Guerin is intent on contending why is he moving out Zucker of all the LWs when he is cost controlled? Addison is a solid prospect, but given what the Wild are dumping into their D what's the point?

Once again, this is where my criticism of the Brodin contract comes from. You've dumped a ton of money into players that need to win in a couple years, yet your making trades and have a prospect pool that in large part will take a couple years to get ready. Just seems to lack planning, which once again is the perfect sign of being a Rutherford acolyte.

Maybe Isles go for the Parise trade for Ladd, but that doesn't really change much for the Wild in terms of cap commitment.

wild arent trading Parise. Islanders can try but Guerin has made it clear going back to deadline, he will not make a trade just to make trade and he expects a 1st back for Parise

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
We're talking 22 years and younger. The Penguins didn't just get gifted a playoff chance.

I'm not sure what the Penguins even have to do with this conversation.

The Wild's core is all over 27 years old outside of Fiala and Kaprizov. The contracts and trades they've signed recently make no sense in building around those two players and their other prospects.

The Bradon Tanev contract was really bad. The Jack Johnson contract was really bad. Marcus Pettersson is a relatively market value contract that I would criticize. The Penguin's prospect pool is a wish and prayer right now. Does that help?
Answer the first question. When did I brag? Still waiting for clarification on that.

Are you under the impression that I am Bill Guerin? Or Craig Leipold? Do you think it's my decision not to blow things up? It's the owner's decision. How would Guerin do that even if he wanted to? Parise and Suter are under contract for 5 more years. If they retire early we get hit with cap recapture penalties. Zuccarello for 4 more years. Should he have traded Dumba, Brodin, and Spurgeon in addition to everyone else he has already traded in the last year or so? Then have the fans sit through a minimum 5 year rebuild? That makes even less sense than what they are doing now.

Are the Red Wings doing a great job of building around Larkin and Mantha? Who are the studs that Anaheim can look forward to? How are the Sharks in better position when their contracts are even less movable than the Wild's?

You don't seem to be sure of a lot of things but you are hellbent on crapping on the Wild. I don't even blame you, but if you want to claim that they are in the worst position of any NHL franchise, please show your work and don't cop out and just use 1/4th of the equation. How are any of the teams I listed in better position to contend than the Wild?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Answer the first question. When did I brag? Still waiting for clarification on that.

Are you under the impression that I am Bill Guerin? Or Craig Leipold? Do you think it's my decision not to blow things up? It's the owner's decision. How would Guerin do that even if he wanted to? Parise and Suter are under contract for 5 more years. If they retire early we get hit with cap recapture penalties. Zuccarello for 4 more years. Should he have traded Dumba, Brodin, and Spurgeon in addition to everyone else he has already traded in the last year or so? Then have the fans sit through a minimum 5 year rebuild? That makes even less sense than what they are doing now.

Are the Red Wings doing a great job of building around Larkin and Mantha? Who are the studs that Anaheim can look forward to? How are the Sharks in better position when their contracts are even less movable than the Wild's?

You don't seem to be sure of a lot of things but you are hellbent on crapping on the Wild. I don't even blame you, but if you want to claim that they are in the worst position of any NHL franchise, please show your work and don't cop out and just use 1/4th of the equation. How are any of the teams I listed in better position to contend than the Wild?

I think the issue is teams like Detroit and Anaheim have bought into the painful rebuilds. Minnesota is trying to do both. I guess it makes sense they are trying to contender as they have some niece pieces that haven't completely aged out at this point, but like.. what's the idea here? And the Brodin contract is a perfect example of that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Parise could get a first in the right situation (playoff team that could use some scoring and he'd be willing to waive to). He's still a 25 goal scorer, and has been a shade under a PPG player in the playoffs for Minnesota. People like players that can put the puck in the net.

But beyond that, the dirty little secret about Parise's contract is that it's really only a bad contract for Minnesota. If he's traded, this fall before the season or at the Trade deadline, he's actually a really easy buyout for any team that acquires him. Because all the cap recapture is stuck on Minnesota. It would cost a team like 6 million, spread over 8 years with very negligible cap hits. It's even easier if they can stomach the cap hit through his final "real" money season, probably get another 20 goal performance and then buy him out at like 2.6 million over 6 seasons.

I can't believe two Minnesota Wild fans think Parise can get a 1st.

Absolute insanity. I'm going to step out of this thread. No wonder some of you think this is a solid contract if you think Parise can get a 1st...

IceBoxHockey

Feb 14, 2016
It’s okay to admit you don’t know other teams players.

Nah. I know all those players actually. And as I alluded to earlier in the thread. Minnesota Wild fans looove to overrate their players.[/QUOTE]

If you knew them so well you’d know that fiala has taken huge strides this year to becoming a 1st line winger.

Where’s your crystal ball on Kaprizov? I’m glad to know he’s already a bust.

JEE isn’t even a winger.

I haven’t seen a wild fan claim this team is stacked with elite offensive talent but it’s much better than you are giving them credit for.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Absolute insanity. I'm going to step out of this thread. No wonder some of you think this is a solid contract if you think Parise can get a 1st...

Not a 1st on its own, but he was literally about to back in February.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
The contract is probably a little high, but not by much. Cost of ufa years I suppose. Plus, he's a solid shutdown guy who's style of play likely won't see a dropoff until his mid 30s. Not a bargain, but a fair deal

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
And any large sample of Brodin shows he's a terrible offensive producer.

The analytics have painted ZAR's impact defensively amongst the top percentile. I'm not offering him a 7 year deal because of his defensive abilities though. Because defensive ability is easier to coach and easier to attain through trade and prospect development.

Brodin has been awful offensively throughout his career analytically. That's what makes this an awful deal for me.

Isnt ZAR a forward? How is that comparable.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

Oh no, you’re leaving? Should have been 15 pages ago. How will we ever go on knowing that one of the maybe 7 people who had a negative reaction to this contract isn’t going to come back and keep making himself look like a fool? I, for one, am devastated.

Reactions: Jugitsu and 2Pair

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
If he has a terrible year or even good they don't have to protect him because his new contract starts after expansion draft althoug with covid I doubt that expansion draft will be before July 1, when his NMC kicks in.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This might be the biggest troll ever. yeah they should have traded Brodin according to a Canucks fan
The player we should've traded was Spurgeon last year, but that ship has sailed.
If he has a terrible year or even good they don't have to protect him because his new contract starts after expansion draft althoug with covid I doubt that expansion draft will be before July 1, when his NMC kicks in.
Under the old CBA that would've been true. Under the new CBA, his NMC is immediately active.

Semantics anyway... you don't leave an asset like Brodin exposed to expansion if you have a choice in the matter. It was always going to be the case that if he signed before expansion, he was going to be protected.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
The Rask/Nino trade was bad, but not one of the worst of the decade IMO. If nino had continued his hot streak into this year then I would agree but he struggled this year a bit.

Its not so much Nino, its Rask making 4 million dollars and not even being an NHL quality player. No team would take that player right now.

Reactions: Jesus comma Brodin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad