Proposal: MIN - SEA pre-expansion draft

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah totally mistake on that one. He isn't exempt. I thought he'd only played 2 season w/ Iowa/MIN but it was 3.

evrn if hep,ayed2 years, this year would have been 3 making him not exempt.

as of now only players playing 1yr of AHL woukd be e empt.anyone playing 2 yrs coming into thisyearud not.

also if someone played yr 1 on a sliding ELC but couldn’t play in WJC because he turned 20 before Jan 1 he would not be exempt.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
this proposal is awful

If its Menell + a high pick maybe they dont go dumba/souncy
menell straight up doesnt make any sense

There 0.000000000001 percent chance wild don't protect dumba. Dumba is for sure getting protected if he isnt traded by then

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
sure some teams have bern planning around ED in trades and moves made to minimize what you expose.

but by only doing a 7-3-1 you will have talentexposed.

with most teams with seattlethe comp will be tied around taking high cap players.

Seattle top 23 players need to be at cap floor. Seattle will need to take about 8-20 high contracts. 20+ teams have higher contracts with term they will want to unload which involves offering incentives. Other teams will have at least 1-2 really good players exposed.
Vegas had zero issues hitting the floor and I dont think it's even the cap floor they have to hit with their 23 players it's something under it and they can hit the floor after that via trades or ufas

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
evrn if hep,ayed2 years, this year would have been 3 making him not exempt.

as of now only players playing 1yr of AHL woukd be e empt.anyone playing 2 yrs coming into thisyearud not.

also if someone played yr 1 on a sliding ELC but couldn’t play in WJC because he turned 20 before Jan 1 he would not be exempt.
Would a year when he's not under contract on an NHL team count? That wouldn't make sense. He's not signed and loaned, he is a free agent and playing in Russia. But irrelevant anyway since he has played 3.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
I knew this was coming eventually. The secret is getting out.

Wild will ask Parise to waive.

That frees up one spot to protect Greenway and Ek.

Wild need to figure out how to trade a Dumba or a Zucc to protect Menell.

I fully believe Menell could come in tomorrow and replace Dumba with similar production or better at a lot cheaper cost.

Wild are stupid if they just give him up.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I'm not at all familiar with Brennan Mennel but he looks to have had a solid AHL season (stats-wise) last year. With that said, I don't think it would be enough for Seattle. They can simply just pick a better player.
Leafs fans have a similar prospect in Lehtonen. They currently have about identical stats in the KHL. Menell is RH and just got to Europe this year and after he tore up the AHL last year. I’d say most presume he is ready for the NHL. I personally think he is going to be a 2nd pairing defender and will be ready this year

Reactions: qqaz

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked if Seattle picks Menell. They've got a good Front Office, part of which was previously in Minnesota. Should be some familiarity there. Menell tore up the AHL, and is currently tearing up the KHL, frozen out of NHL minutes by stacked blueline. Kind of over-looked asset an Expansion team might be looking for.

They certainly won't be doing a trade for him unless Minnesota adds significantly.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Leafs fans have a similar prospect in Lehtonen. They currently have about identical stats in the KHL. Menell is RH and just got to Europe this year and after he tore up the AHL last year. I’d say most presume he is ready for the NHL. I personally think he is going to be a 2nd pairing defender and will be ready this year
I guess it would depend on who the alternatives are.

If Seattle doesn't choose this route, who is going to be potentially exposed by Minnesota that they can grab instead? (Honestly asking as I don't know what the Wild's protection list may look like).

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I guess it would depend on who the alternatives are.

If Seattle doesn't choose this route, who is going to be potentially exposed by Minnesota that they can grab instead? (Honestly asking as I don't know what the Wild's protection list may look like).

Wild almost surely will go 4-4-1. Most likely to be taken by Seattle is Soucy or either Kahkonen/Talbot. I think the Kunin trade was especially savvy because it netted us Bonino and Marat Khusnutsidnov but also really hurt Seattle’s chances of landing a good young skater.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Hi,

Quick proposal:

Seattle gets Brennan Mennel (rights).

Minnesota can protect 2 additional players (so 7F+3D+1G+2 extras or 4F+4D+1G+2 extras), quite literally it would be a promise to not pick 2 players A and B.

Who says no in this case? I think that Minnesota actually is deep enough that this trade makes sense.

If you're going to go through proposing this trade, why not finish the thought and identify who players "A and B" would be that Minnesota would be protecting in order to give up Mennel?

Seems like a lot to give up as Mennel appears to be a solid asset and you're saying they give him and player C up to protect players A & B (none of which you've identified).

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
If things stand pat the Wild are protecting 8 skaters.

F: Parise, Zucc, Fiala, Ek
D: Spurgeon, Suter, Brodin, Dumba
G: Kahk

That leaves, Greenway, Soucy, and Talbot exposed.

Reactions: HBK27

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
If things stand pat the Wild are protecting 8 skaters.

F: Parise, Zucc, Fiala, Ek
D: Spurgeon, Suter, Brodin, Dumba
G: Kahk

That leaves, Greenway, Soucy, and Talbot exposed.

Seems reasonable that Parise would waive his NMC to open up an additional spot though, right? There would be no chance of Seattle picking him.

Reactions: HotDish

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
From everything I can see, Guerin has been a bit of a wild (hehe) card as a GM so far. And he seems intent on a lot of roster turnover.

I don't think we know enough about what Minnesota's roster will look like by the time expansion rolls around.

One of their top defenders, Dumba, has been all over trade speculation for a while. Parise, who has a huge contract, might or might not waive for the draft. Guerin has shown no fear in moving household names from the team, like Koivu and Staal. They're pinning a lot of hopes on Kaprizov who, although he looks like a sure thing, has not played an NHL game yet.

What team has more question marks than the Wild? Not many. The team could be totally different by the time expansion hits.

Do they need to protect 4 D if Dumba is traded? Can they protect all their worthwhile forwards if Parise waives? Who is even on the team if Guerin continues his turnover crusade? Will they add forwards if Kaprizov doesn't impress immediately?

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Seems reasonable that Parise would waive his NMC to open up an additional spot though, right? There would be no chance of Seattle picking him.
That’s my hope, if Parise waives that allows the Wild to protect Greenway. Losing Soucy would hurt but not as much as greenway.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That’s my hope, if Parise waives that allows the Wild to protect Greenway. Losing Soucy would hurt but not as much as greenway.
Why would Parise give up his NMC protection, that he earned? Did any players with NMCs do this in the Vegas expansion?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
As of today and Minnesota having to go 4-4 to keep Dumba the answer is a resounding BLEEP NO from Seattle. Now 1 year if Dumba is traded 1 for 1 for a forward and Minn goes 7-3 maybe revisit.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Why would Parise give up his NMC protection, that he earned? Did any players with NMCs do this in the Vegas expansion?
Iirc two players did for Vegas. Flower and I think the Jets(?) had a player waive.

the only reason is if Parise knows he won’t be picked. Super slim chances imo, why would Seattle be interested in him? Plus he has talked many times how his goal is to win a cup. Since it is unlikely he gets traded after that islanders deal fell through, he might be convinced that losing a good player to Seattle will be a step in the wrong direction for a cup.

I’m not banking on him to waive. It would be a welcome surprise.

Reactions: Luckylarry

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see why the Wild are doing this. Seattle isn't going to have a lot of great options to choose from. As of now their best options are Soucy/Menell. Greenway is a maybe. If he doesn't move forward this season, Minnesota would love for Seattle to take him over the defensemen. So with this deal, Seattle would get Menell plus their choice of likely a bottom six or bottom pairing asset. Without this deal they get their choice of Soucy/Menell. Don't see why they wouldn't take the free asset.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just because a player is doing really well in lower leagues doesn't mean that they will do well in the NHL, but in Menell's case he certainly deserves a better shot than he has had in MN so far. Pateryn is limping towards the end of his contract this year, but Menell will still have to fight Addison and Belpedio for that third pairing RHD spot. Addison looked terrific in the bubble camp, and Belpedio plays a solid two way game unlike the other two who are smallish offensive types. Someone is going to be on the outside looking in unless Dumba is traded, and even then...

I still can't see a team like Seattle preferring Menell to Greenway or Soucy, who are actual NHL'ers, and are 6'6" and 6'5" respectively. I also can't see a team paying a lot for Menell in trade until he shows something at the NHL level. A 2nd?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Vegas had zero issues hitting the floor and I dont think it's even the cap floor they have to hit with their 23 players it's something under it and they can hit the floor after that via trades or ufas

under ED rules...the top 23 players on the roster must add to the cap floor. Free agency plans does not matter.

as a result Seattle will need to take about 8-12 $4M+ salaries to get there. Thrn the rest of them,Ayers can be lower salariedones getting them to the floor. Thus teams will offer thrmstufftounloadhigh salary players.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Would a year when he's not under contract on an NHL team count? That wouldn't make sense. He's not signed and loaned, he is a free agent and playing in Russia. But irrelevant anyway since he has played 3.

if he started his contract which for most is 21 oryoungis a 3 yr ELC.

on Buffalo there is Pilutwho did 2 yrs thrn signed in Europe. Buffalo did a QO retaining his rights till he’s 27 in 2023. He’s part of those exposed or protected in the ED.

if they could, teams would stash players in Europe this year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Parise certainly has a vested interest in Minnesota doing well and retaining as many assets as possible, since he's most likely to finish his career there.

If he waives, he does so knowing that there's practically zero chance he gets selected by Seattle. Why would they select a 37-year old player with a $7.5M cap hit for another 4 seasons?

Parise might also be interested in going to Seattle or another team to chase a Cup in his last few seasons since Minnesota is going through a rebuild. Might be another reason why he'd waive his NTC - as we saw with Vegas, expansion teams with the new draft rules can be very competitive right out of the gate.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Pateryn is limping towards the end of his contract this year, but Menell will still have to fight Addison and Belpedio for that third pairing RHD spot. Addison looked terrific in the bubble camp, and Belpedio plays a solid two way game unlike the other two who are smallish offensive types

Belpedio is not on the same level as Menell, much less Addison. If he becomes a #5/6 D it will be a pleasant surprise. I think both Menell and Addison become solid 2nd pairing guys. Also Menell is far from a liability defensively. He played the PK in Iowa and does in KHL as well.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Parise certainly has a vested interest in Minnesota doing well and retaining as many assets as possible, since he's most likely to finish his career there.

If he waives, he does so knowing that there's practically zero chance he gets selected by Seattle. Why would they select a 37-year old player with a $7.5M cap hit for another 4 seasons?

Parise might also be interested in going to Seattle or another team to chase a Cup in his last few seasons since Minnesota is going through a rebuild. Might be another reason why he'd waive his NTC - as we saw with Vegas, expansion teams with the new draft rules can be very competitive right out of the gate.

Minnesota isn't doing a rebuilding. Funny thinking Parise wants to go to Seattle over Minnesota, cute. Yop, go to a franchise whose just starting.

Guerin has also made it clear dating back to deadline any Parise trade , or any trade has to make sense for Minnesota . It's why Parise to islanders never happened

With fiala, Kaprizov, Marco Rossi, & adding veterans & keeping d together, wild are still showing to be all in for playoff

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think you are overrating Menell, or underrating Belpedio. NHL management loves two way Dmen, and can only have so many offensive Dmen on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad