Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] G Jesper Wallstedt signs extensions with the Wild (2 years, $2.2M AAV; begins 2025-26)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Has anyone ever signed a multi-million contract without actually being on the roster before? I'm assuming Gus and MAF run the net this year and they're penciling him to replace MAF next year.

Just curious.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Has anyone ever signed a multi-million contract without actually being on the roster before? I'm assuming Gus and MAF run the net this year and they're penciling him to replace MAF next year.

Just curious.

He made the roster. They're going to carry three goalies.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

Just curious.
He’s on the roster right now, they have been planning a 3 goalie rotation with whoever is hottest getting the bulk of the starts.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
He’s on the roster right now, they have been planning a 3 goalie rotation with whoever is hottest getting the bulk of the starts.

Is Fleury there to babysit them, or is he still going strong?

Three goalie rotations almost never work. It makes me wonder if it is just optics, and they will waive or trade Gustavsson. The only way I could see this working is if it is a unique situation where Fleury doesn't really expect to play much, and is more in a player-coach/mentor type role.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
I'm a big fan, and believe in the upside.

A bit lame that these kids can just kinda call the shots these days with zero experience, but he has done everything asked of him along the way. Still in my eyes the best goaltending prospect in the world. Let's see that translate to the next level.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Three goalie rotations almost never work. It makes me wonder if it is just optics, and they will waive or trade Gustavsson. The only way I could see this working is if it is a unique situation where Fleury doesn't really expect to play much, and is more in a player-coach/mentor type role.
It's more or less they want to get Wallstedt 20 to 30 NHL games this year so he's ready for next year. He'll go down to the AHL at times to get games as well.

Beyond that with MAF and Gustafson they'll ride the hot hand with the rest of the games.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

It most likely works out with Fleury getting only select starts unless Gus shits the bed again. Fleury has been pretty candid about being flexible in his role and playing the mentor, they specifically put Wallstedt right next to him in the locker room and are rotating through more in practice. Recent Athletic articles talks about it quite a bit and Guerin interviews have said they will handle it very carefully.

So far both Fleury and Wallstedt have said all the right things to the media, Gus sounded motivated by it too, ideally he rebounds and the Wild enter next season with him and Wallstedt.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I forgot Askarov and SJ did the same thing earlier. If this is the number anyway, might as well get in front of it, in case 40 year old Fleury has an injury and Wallstedt plays well in 30 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad