Confirmed Trade: [MIN/COL] Tyson Jost for Nico Sturm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Why would the Wild take on a $2M fourth liner for next season when they're going to have no cap space?

• Haha
Reactions: Hasbro

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Jost is actually an above average pick at 10OA, with only Rantanen, Brodin, Nichushkin and AK47 being better 10OA picks since 2000.

There's only maybe 13 guys I think you can say for sure are better than him taken in the first 2 rounds, and one of them is Tage Thompson who looked like nothing until this year. We all overate the hell out of the impact these guys will have at the next level.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Don't really get this at all from the Wild. Sturm is better than Jost, is literally the only 50% faceoff guy on the team (Jost is sub 40%), and very likely wouldn't have cost more than 2 million Jost is set to make next year.

On top of that, it helps the Avs clear room for the deadline.

With Jost there is a chance he actually breaks out. I know Avs fans have ragged on him a lot and isn't that enticing to many fans, but he's a bit underrated at this point.

Don't get me wrong he was definitely a bottom 6 forward on the Avs, but the Wild has a better system and wingers that is better suited for Jost. If it took Jost longer to make the NHL he'd still have that new toy shine like Tippett does. The trade makes sense for both teams, and personally I think the Wild and Avs are in different stages so it doesn't matter if it helps the Avs or not, as long as it makes sense for the Wild.

Reactions: obZen and Bender

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

There's only maybe 13 guys I think you can say for sure are better than him taken in the first 2 rounds, and one of them is Tage Thompson who looked like nothing until this year. We all overate the hell out of the impact these guys will have at the next level.

Outside of the first few picks in each draft, it's really a crap shoot as to which 18 year old kid is going to develop into something special, and very few of them even play 100 NHL games. But, what's the point of being a fan if you aren't eternally optimistic about the future of your team?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sadly, he doesn't fit the AVs system. Jost is a player fans cheer for...hard working & great personality. Offensively, lacked speed and skating. He doesn't have strength or size to be effective defensively. MIN game style seems to be a much better fit. AVs gain a comparably bigger, stronger skater and cheaper player.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Weird deal. Never been a fan of Jost really. I think he ends up bouncing around as a replacement player soon as we tend to see from high picks that don’t pan out after the team that drafted them finally deals them. I’ve liked Sturm in limited viewings. I think he could be a solid fit in the bottom 6 in Colorado with his speed.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
7nVDOg1.jpg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Kind of a shot in the dark here from Guerin. Never saw a ton to like in Jost's game at the NHL level, other than maybe he knows where to be and is competent defensively. Can't really blame it on a lack of opportunity either. Worked out well with Fiala so I guess you never know.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
that's some terrible asset management and player evaluation by Guerin/Wild...

loses pitlick (who has played better than both Jost and Sturm) on waivers, then a few weeks later adds to his cap costs next season... net impact is downgraded depth & impact at a higher cap hit. Would not be pleased if I were a wild fan (and i'm relatively bullish on Jost overall).
Pitlick is a wing and was clearly worse than Sturm, and not suited to the bottom of the lineup role with the Wild. He was acquired via waivers and let go via waivers while having the least useful all around impact on the team. He had offense for the Wild too, but that doesn’t mean he is a good player. Dewar, Duhaime, and Bjugstad are all better when it comes to playing depth roles than Pitlick can, and Pitlick is significantly worse than all of Kaprizov Boldy Zuccarello Foligno and Greenway, it’s why he was very easily expendable.

I like Sturm as a player and think there is some untapped offensive ability there but not much more. And he will need a new contract, which Guerin has probably discussed and discovered that the price wasn’t going to align with the Wild’s needs. Not a Jost fan but I am fine with this move as a change of scenery and change of contract situations. Only issue is that I think Sturm makes Colorados depth better, and that is unfortunate for this year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Just first impressions, I think Colorado gets the edge in this deal - but they should've sold Jost when he had move value earlier. Still decent for salvaging what they can get for him now.

Oh, definitely, the right time to move him was years ago when it was clear he didn't really fit the Avs style, or last year when he had bumped his value.

Reactions: TooMuchMan

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Just first impressions, I think Colorado gets the edge in this deal - but they should've sold Jost when he had move value earlier. Still decent for salvaging what they can get for him now.
Yeah it was tough because last year he looked like he finally turned a corner. So it went from “oh he’s just having a slow start” this year to “still plenty time to turn this around” to “oh…..oh no…..” real fast.

Reactions: TooMuchMan

Weast

May 16, 2011
Really sad about this one, I believe the league still has yet to see the best Jost can offer.
Guy just didn't fit in the Avs system.
Days before the Covid shutdown 2 years ago, he was playing the best hockey of his career; hopefully he finds that touch with the Wild again.
Good luck, Tyson!

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don't mind the gamble. Sturm was likely not going to re-sign and I would rather gamble assets like these rather than high quality parts like a high pick or a good prospect. We got decent replacement 4th liners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad