Nov 20, 2014
min
Laine (2,175,000)

cbj
Freddy Gaudreau
26 1st (top10 protection)
Carson lambos
26 4th (Toronto pick)
(I would of added Gustavsson but been told before cbj doesn't need a goalie hat way the retention wouldn't be 50% )

ana gets
50 % Laine contract
26 2nd min
26 3rd min(Colorado pick)
Merrill

Reactions: bert

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
cbj
Freddy Gaudreau
I'm tempted to reject the proposal out of hand for this alone. It's already a meme elsewhere and I'm already done with it.

That said, Lambos and a 1st does seem pretty nice.

EDIT: On further review, the term on Gaudreau's contract is prohibitive, even though the AAV is survivable. Dunno.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Full breakout, for the record:

Minnesota gives up: MIN 1st 2026 (top-10 protected), MIN 2nd 2026, COL 3rd 2026, TOR 4th 2026, Carson Lambos, Fredrick Gaudreau, John Merrill
Minnesota gets: Laine @75%

Columbus gives up: Patrick Laine@50%
Columbus gets: MIN 1st 2016 (top-10 protected), TOR 4th 2026, Carson Lambos, Fredrick Gaudreau ($2.1m/4yr)

Anaheim gives up: 25% of Laine's contract (approx $2.175m/2yr)
Anaheim gets: MIN 2nd 2026, COL 3rd 2026, John Merrill ($1.2m/1yr)

I imagine the hardest case is going to be for Anaheim.

Reactions: Wildfan24

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why is Anahiem retaining money when they are trying to be competitive within the next two years?

I'm tempted to reject the proposal out of hand for this alone. It's already a meme elsewhere and I'm already done with it.

EDIT: On further review, the term on Gaudreau's contract is prohibitive, even though the AAV is survivable. Dunno.

Gaudreau - Gaudreau - X line tho.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
Why is Anahiem retaining money when they are trying to be competitive within the next two years?

Gaudreau - Gaudreau - X line tho.
Honestly, it's the same reason we (some ducks fans) are somewhat interested in Laine. We have pretty much 2 years until we need to pay our younger guys, so the cap space isn't needed for those two years really. That being said, I'd rather take a chance on Laine rather than just half his cap space and what not.

Edit: added ducks for clarity, just in case.
Edit 2: some ducks fans, because lol

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Honestly, it's the same reason we (ducks) are somewhat interested in Laine. We have pretty much 2 years until we need to pay our younger guys, so the cap space isn't needed for those two years really. That being said, I'd rather take a chance on Laine rather than just half his cap space and what not.

Have we seen Anahiem play third party at all in the last few years?

You know Monahan's going to be on that line. It's inevitable.

I just like to pretend Columbus never signed him.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Honestly, it's the same reason we (ducks) are somewhat interested in Laine. We have pretty much 2 years until we need to pay our younger guys, so the cap space isn't needed for those two years really. That being said, I'd rather take a chance on Laine rather than just half his cap space and what not.

I think the further clarification should be "some Ducks fans" because I haven't seen any credible information that indicates that the Ducks organization is interested in Laine.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
min
Laine (2,175,000)

cbj
Freddy Gaudreau
26 1st (top10 protection)
Carson lambos
26 4th (Toronto pick)
(I would of added Gustavsson but been told before cbj doesn't need a goalie hat way the retention wouldn't be 50% )

ana gets
50 % Laine contract
26 2nd min
26 3rd min(Colorado pick)
Merrill
2 full yrs of real money retained will cost alot more than a 2nd and 3rd

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Why are they 2026 picks?
Because its better to dress it up that way and present it better than it actually is. My rule of thumb with picks is if its outside of the current draft year its worth +1 round for every year away from the current season (ie a 1st in 2026 would be equal to value of a 2nd round 2025 pick) so how I see it they are giving you a cap dump and a 3rd/4th round pick to hold $5 mil in assets which that should be valued around mid level 1st round pick at the current rate...well below market rate to hold one of your 3 retainment slots for 2 years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Gotta do this simply for the Double Gaudreau yucks.

Realistically, though, MN should have to give up something more if they are getting 75% retained. Nothing huge, but a decent forward prospect. Merrill and Gaudreau are nothingburgers, though Evason likes the latter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildfan24

Wildfan24

Nov 20, 2014
Why are they 2026 picks?
I did it just because the wild have more picks that year then they have in 25. If it has to become a 25 first with top 10 protection let it be

Gotta do this simply for the Double Gaudreau yucks.

Realistically, though, MN should have to give up something more if they are getting 75% retained.
I agree. Another prospect? or just higher end pick

Seems like a lot of money to pay for 2 draft picks they won’t even get until the contract is completely paid off.

No thank you.
obviously a 1st would have to be the pick then ? or could another prospect be added b level

ZegrassyKnoll

Dec 2, 2016
After striking out in free agency I cant see Verbeek doing anybody favors for picks at this point.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
After striking out in free agency I cant see Verbeek doing anybody favors for picks at this point.
I don’t think the price is good enough for me to pull the trigger, but striking out in free agency might be a reason to use cap space to get more assets/draft capita…. In hopes we can trade for roster improvements

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024

After all this time an avatar change??

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't think that trading for Laine makes much sense for a team like MN, which, IMO, is not going to be a Cup contender this upcoming season, even with Laine. They have one more year of 15M cap penalties holding them back, and their top 3 prospects(Buium, Yurov, Wallstedt.... maybe Heidt, too?) are all a year away from playing in the NHL. Next year will be the earliest they will be a legit playoff team, and that's only if a lot of things go right. I think they'd be better off seeing what they have in the one 1st rounder (Lambos), and keeping the other.

I think Laine would be a better fit on either a Cup contender that needs one final piece, or a team like UTA/SEA, who could use scoring up front, and need to show their fans they are trying to improve. Laine is far from a sure thing, but hey, if he was, he'd cost a lot more.

Reactions: MK9 and tomd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad