Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What is Minnesota even insuring against here? That Faber drops 100 points next season and commands 11+ million?

I'd take that risk in order to gather another 80+ games of evidence that Faber actually is worth this contract before giving it to him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If he's a Norris candidate in year 4 and the cap is >$100M 4 years from now, there is certainly a chance.

I’m not sure about that. Points are still a big part of defensemen salary and Faber was a bit lucky this year in terms of production relative to underlying numbers and I’m not sure if he’ll ever have big Pp numbers. He’s a very good defenseman but I think his ceiling is like a slightly worse McAvoy. Dahlin got the big deal but he’s those jumps don’t always follow for everyone and part of that was his huge potential. I’d be surprised if Faber got more than 10-11 even if he had a few top 5 Norris finishes.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think it's unlikely he'd be worth 11M+, but it's probably less likely he regresses to a 6M dman.

That’s fair. He’s good enough it’s probably worth doing now, but I understand those that would prefer to wait. I think these types of deals tend to have more potential value for forwards who tend to get paid more, like the Hughes deal, Draisaitl before him, etc.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
What are the biggest contracts ever signed after a rookie season?

Hopefully it’s not a Darnell Nurse signing but that’s quite a lot of cash for someone who hasn’t had a long time in the league.
Lmao, Faber is waaaaaaaaaaay better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What is Minnesota even insuring against here? That Faber drops 100 points next season and commands 11+ million?

I'd take that risk in order to gather another 80+ games of evidence that Faber actually is worth this contract before giving it to him.
Look at who is already on the books.

Sanderson is $64 mill over 8 years beginning next season. Power is under $200K lower on the AAV over 7 years, also begins next season. It's only $400K in total higher than Miro H.
Both Sanderson and Power were like Faber, burned an ELC year and signed after just 1 year in the NHL with a year left on the elc. If both kids waited, how different if at all would their deals be?

Any other Dmen due up that would be a comp? Seider is still unsigned. Luke Hughes can sign now as well, but likely plays out 24/25.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Surprised to see anyone disliking this. The guy went from playing NCAA season lengths to a full NHL season and still managed 25mins a night as a #1D with Gusto. He likely fatigued which can be managed better this year. Steal of a contract in 2-3 years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That's a big deal for his one season. But if he maintains or improves still, that could look very good for Minnesota long term. I like these sorts of gambles for both sides.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Might be worth it but couldn’t they get him locked up at a lower number given the small sample ?

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Might be worth it but couldn’t they get gin at a lower number given the small sample ?
Why would he commit to signing long term for less when the cap is going to keep going up? Same reason Wild didn’t want to gamble on waiting. Another year as good or better than his rookie year with another cap bump and he may want 10.

Reactions: Djenthallman

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s a beast. He should absolutely be paid in the Sanderson/Power type bracket. Frankly I’d rate what he did last season as far as being the absolute undisputed backbone of an entire defense above those guys.

6th in the entire NHL in ice time, 28th among blueliners in even strength points….more than Doughty, Power, Seider, Sanderson…while maintaining elite defensive play. With no Spurgeon all year and Brodin missing a good chunk and the next “best” guy on that blueline being freaking Jake Middleton and a bunch of third pair scrubs.

Last edited:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
This is a huge risk obviously. Even the most blind Homer will agree to that after one season.

But for me, this guy deserved the Calder. he was an absolute stud and there's no question he has the ability to grow in to this contract and be worth every penny.

Decent signing, even with the inherent risk

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Why would he commit to signing long term for less when the cap is going to keep going up? Same reason Wild didn’t want to gamble on waiting. Another year as good or better than his rookie year with another cap bump and he may want 10.
How many d men currently make 10 ? I mean you could be right but 10 is a big motsa ball

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I don’t find this to be a risk at all. The kid is a freak and not just talent wise or physically. His attitude and drive are off the charts. I personally thought it was gonna start with a 9 for sure. This is awesome

Reactions: BagHead

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

He's going to be a good player for sure, but not sure what's the urge. Don't see enough offense in his game for this deal to become a bargain. It will most likely be a good deal for both sides down the road with the cap increasing, but don't see the urge either unless they thought he might not want to resign in Minnesota a year from now...

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guy had an absolutely fantastic season but I don’t know if I would hand out a contract like that after just one season. What would be the downside of waiting until after this season? It’s not like he’s gonna score enough to merit more than $8.5M…
It's still a good deal considering the cap will almost certainly go up.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
All contracts are a risk of course, but this is an excellent deal for Minnesota (and Faber of course, he's set for life). Locking up your #1D who is young at a rate that's a steal even if he doesn't progress is an easy decision.

Some of the names being thrown out are odd, too. Faber is better than all of them at the time of his extension.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I the cutrent environment, what would people have given Tyler Myers after his rookie season? 11-37-48, Calder Trophy, 19 years old, etc.

Reactions: Inno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad