Proposal: MIN-ARI-CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Way more needs to come from the Flames. A 24 year old good 3rd line player under team control for another couple of years and all they are giving is a 2nd and a likely career AHL player. Honestly not sure why the Wild do this deal at all. Greenway is solid.
I agree Greenway is solid, but reading the opinions of Wild fans it really seems like many view him as the odd man out. Could you see him getting a 1st? Idk cause it totally depends on his next contract. At 2 mil he's a steal but if he's looking for 3-4 mil then I doubt a team is paying a 1st for that value

insomniac

High on Hockey
Jul 31, 2009
Ottawa
forum.highonhockey.com
This trade proposal makes more sense with Minnesota left out. Calgary could use a player like Kessel, Arizona could use the futures. Minnesota is better off keeping Greenway than adding any of these assets.

To ARI:
2022 2nd (CGY)
Matthew Phillips or other B/C level prospect from Calgary

To CGY:
Phil Kessel (50% retained by ARI)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I agree Greenway is solid, but reading the opinions of Wild fans it really seems like many view him as the odd man out. Could you see him getting a 1st? Idk cause it totally depends on his next contract. At 2 mil he's a steal but if he's looking for 3-4 mil then I doubt a team is paying a 1st for that value

Some of the posters on the Minnesota thread haven't run the numbers closely enough. Yes, Minnesota will lose 8M in cap space for next year, but 4M of that is Rask's contract. So, 4M of space needs to be saved. The present roster has 1.8M of cap room this year, and the cap is supposed to rise by 1M for next year, so we really are probably only needing to save 1.5M of cap space.

Greenway is not, in my opinion, the right place to do that. His value is intangibles. In other words, that line he plays on is a total beast, but it is definitely a 'Sum is better than the parts' situation. It's exactly the kind of line that a good GM will keep together. Greewnay might get a 1M raise, but I doubt that, even. Foligno, on the other end of the line, is probably slightly better, and he gets 3.1M. That 1M raise can be managed by Minnesota. Plus, if you let him go, you only gain 1M in cap space. That's too incremental.

The wild card here in St Paul is going to be Fiala, not Greenway. If he all of a sudden starts playing lights out, then it gets tough, because he's going to worth more than his present 5.1M, and then Greenway is perhaps more likely to disappear from here.

Reactions: HockeyRube

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Some of the posters on the Minnesota thread haven't run the numbers closely enough. Yes, Minnesota will lose 8M in cap space for next year, but 4M of that is Rask's contract. So, 4M of space needs to be saved. The present roster has 1.8M of cap room this year, and the cap is supposed to rise by 1M for next year, so we really are probably only needing to save 1.5M of cap space.

Greenway is not, in my opinion, the right place to do that. His value is intangibles. In other words, that line he plays on is a total beast, but it is definitely a 'Sum is better than the parts' situation. It's exactly the kind of line that a good GM will keep together. Greewnay might get a 1M raise, but I doubt that, even. Foligno, on the other end of the line, is probably slightly better, and he gets 3.1M. That 1M raise can be managed by Minnesota. Plus, if you let him go, you only gain 1M in cap space. That's too incremental.

The wild card here in St Paul is going to be Fiala, not Greenway. If he all of a sudden starts playing lights out, then it gets tough, because he's going to worth more than his present 5.1M, and then Greenway is perhaps more likely to disappear from here.

I think the issue is that he is one of the easiest places to save cap. His loss in the lineup would be pretty easy to absorb at this point. Unless he plays like a beast for the next 50 games.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I think the issue is that he is one of the easiest places to save cap. His loss in the lineup would be pretty easy to absorb at this point. Unless he plays like a beast for the next 50 games.

I bet you a shiny new quarter that if Boldy continues to tear it up in the AHL, that Fiala's the one who's gone after this year. I wouldn't be shocked to lose Greenway but I just have a hunch it'll be Fiala.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I bet you a shiny new quarter that if Boldy continues to tear it up in the AHL, that Fiala's the one who's gone after this year. I wouldn't be shocked to lose Greenway but I just have a hunch it'll be Fiala.

How would Boldy playing well mean that Fiala would be the one moved. Is your plan to play with Boldy with Gaudreau and Pitlick and call it a good line like they've tried to do with Fiala? Fiala couldn't carry dead weight around well enough so let's see if Boldy can?

What if we started playing our good players with other good players instead of dragging them down?

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
How would Boldy playing well mean that Fiala would be the one moved. Is your plan to play with Boldy with Gaudreau and Pitlick and call it a good line like they've tried to do with Fiala? Fiala couldn't carry dead weight around well enough so let's see if Boldy can?

What if we started playing our good players with other good players instead of dragging them down?

I'd love to keep Fiala, but somebody's going to have to go simply because of cap space. My guess is that it's Fiala.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad