Proposal: MIN-ARI-CGY

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
To MIN:
Phil Kessel (50% retained by ARI)

To ARI:
2022 2nd (CGY)
Matthew Phillips or other B/C level prospect from Calgary

To CGY:
Jordan Greenway

Minny adds a top-6 winger, Arizona gets pick and prospect, Calgary gets 3rd line winger with size. I saw many Wild fans saying Greenway is likely on the way out this summer when cap space becomes tight, and this way they get a legit top-6W to go for it this year.

I can’t see Arizona getting much more than 2nd+ prospect for Phil at this point, and from Calgary’s perspective I think Greenway would be great in Darryl Sutter’s middle-6.

Thoughts?

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
Phil kessel had his chance. No one wants him back in Minnesota
- Minnesota will keep greenway, and Arizona can keep Kessel. Minnesota has Adam Beckman and matt boldy with connor dewar, and nick swaney

- greenway has been a total beast and Minnesota isn't, doesn't need to be in any rush to move him for an older player, when this team is all about speed

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Calgary needs to spend a 2nd on another left hand shot LW?? One that we can't afford the salary for? Doesn't seem like the best use of our assets

Reactions: Dan403

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
If Calgary spends a 2nd it would be for a player like Kessel, their need is for a RS right winger, they don't need left-wingers or size

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
To MIN:

To ARI:
2022 2nd (CGY)

To CGY:
Jordan Greenway

Minny adds a top-6 winger, Arizona gets pick and prospect, Calgary gets 3rd line winger with size. I saw many Wild fans saying Greenway is likely on the way out this summer when cap space becomes tight, and this way they get a legit top-6W to go for it this year.

I can’t see Arizona getting much more than 2nd+ prospect for Phil at this point, and from Calgary’s perspective I think Greenway would be great in Darryl Sutter’s middle-6.

Thoughts?
I'd do it. The cap is a thing though and I doubt Minnesota does it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If Minnesota needs a top-6 winger Boldy's a phone call away. Greenway's been good lately too, and there's next to zero chance that Evason or Guerin would break that Greenway-Ek-Foligno line up.

Wouldn't shock me to see Calgary being interested in Kessel if they wanted to add a right-shot forward, though.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I would probably do this and then slide Boldy into Greenway’s spot, but I doubt the do that.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If Minnesota needs a top-6 winger Boldy's a phone call away. Greenway's been good lately too, and there's next to zero chance that Evason or Guerin would break that Greenway-Ek-Foligno line up.

Wouldn't shock me to see Calgary being interested in Kessel if they wanted to add a right-shot forward, though.
As a Coyote fan, Kessel for a 2nd works. Phil has an 8 team trade list, Flames probably not on it. Phil wants out of AZ and may waive, but then again he may not. Logic doesn’t always play with Kessel.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The way Greenway is playing right now, can’t see them moving him during the year barring the team taking a nose dive out of the playoff picture or for a huge add.

Don’t see either happening at this point and Kessel certainly isn’t that add right now. I think Greenway is likely an odd man out during the offseason and could be had for the best future based package given the team’s overall outlook at wing and contracts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why would MN want an old winger like Kessel when they've got Boldy looking great in the AHL? NVM, giving up a young player like Greenway? Since when does MN need another wing?

Poorly thought out proposal that certainly doesn't take MN's needs into account.

Reactions: Bruce Granville

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Why would MN want an old winger like Kessel when they've got Boldy looking great in the AHL? NVM, giving up a young player like Greenway? Since when does MN need another wing?

Poorly thought out proposal that certainly doesn't take MN's needs into account.

I went to Minny’s roster discussion thread and every 2nd post is that Greenway is on the way out and every other post is that you are in cap trouble next year and want to take advantage of the space this year. So forgive me for trying to listen to the majority of fans instead of your individual perspective lol

also the exact reason you’d want Kessel is because he’d be a short term scoring upgrade on Greenway and then off the books when Boldy is 100% ready for a top-6 role. So instead of waiting to the off-season to get a 2nd for Greenway and also spending a pick on a top-6 upgrade you guys can kill two birds with one stone and actually be able to afford a more expensive upgrade by moving some cap out

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
I went to Minny’s roster discussion thread and every 2nd post is that Greenway is on the way out and every other post is that you are in cap trouble next year and want to take advantage of the space this year. So forgive me for trying to listen to the majority of fans instead of your individual perspective lol

also the exact reason you’d want Kessel is because he’d be a short term scoring upgrade on Greenway and then off the books when Boldy is 100% ready for a top-6 role. So instead of waiting to the off-season to get a 2nd for Greenway and also spending a pick on a top-6 upgrade you guys can kill two birds with one stone and actually be able to afford a more expensive upgrade by moving some cap out

No, Kessel is old. The same exact kind of player no longer in the team. nobody wants an old, slow player whose done. He also had an opportunity to come to Minnesota, and block it. He can stay his self there in Arizona, and keep golfing

Greenway isn't even a top 6 player on Minnesota. He plays on 3rd line with foligno, and Joel Eriksson Ek. Also Minnesota won't be spending a pick on top 6 Winger. Minnesota has Adam Beckman, and matt boldy. Then nick swaney, and Conor dewar for bottom 6. So you are wrong about everything you just wrote

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
No, Kessel is old. The same exact kind of player no longer in the team. nobody wants an old, slow player whose done. He also had an opportunity to come to Minnesota, and block it. He can stay his self there in Arizona, and keep golfing

Greenway isn't even a top 6 player on Minnesota. He plays on 3rd line with foligno, and Joel Eriksson Ek. Also Minnesota won't be spending a pick on top 6 Winger. Minnesota has Adam Beckman, and matt boldy. Then nick swaney, and Conor dewar for bottom 6. So you are wrong about everything you just wrote

Not THE Adam beckman! I forgot he had multiple 30+ goal seasons.

I didn’t realize Kessel hurt your feelings that badly. But fair I was just trying to find a good rental top-6 forward cause you guys are gonna be in cap trouble next year anyway and probably have to move Greenway for cap reasons (according to most posters on Minny’s board). I was just trying to make a creative proposal to find u guys some short term scoring help, not a long-term fixture to replace Boldy or future top-6 lock Adam Beckman.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021

I didn’t realize Kessel hurt your feelings that badly. But fair I was just trying to find a good rental top-6 forward cause you guys are gonna be in cap trouble next year anyway and probably have to move Greenway for cap reasons (according to most posters on Minny’s board). I was just trying to make a creative proposal to find u guys some short term scoring help, not a long-term fixture to replace Boldy or future top-6 lock Adam Beckman.

Hurt my feelings? Dude, no wild fans want phil Kessel back in Minnesota. What you are forgetting is that greenway isn't a top 6 player, Winger on wild, he's a bottom 6. Wild have no need for a Winger at all. They moved Zucker for a reason.

Wild are one of the top scoring teams in the NHL, in fact like top 3, so they don't need Kessel.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
The GREEF line is one of the best in hockey the past two seasons. They’re not going to break it up until they are forced to (like this offseason when contracts are going to play a role). Greenway gets a rough ride in MN because he runs hot and cold as far as his play and give a damn, in addition to never really amounting to any threat to produce, but when he’s on he’s a real problem for opposing teams.

The team isn’t going to jettison him during the year if they are competitive without it being a significant add because they are not going to mess with that line the way they are going.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

You’re not gonna want to argue with him, won’t end well and your brain will hurt. It’s not the worst proposal but for obvious reasons a center upgrade is what we all want but for greenway, don’t hate it.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Kessel wouldn't last a single shift in Minnesota playing the way he has this season.

heisenbergsitti

Aug 23, 2021
You’re not gonna want to argue with him, won’t end well and your brain will hurt. It’s not the worst proposal but for obvious reasons a center upgrade is what we all want but for greenway, don’t hate it.

Go read my argument before hating in me for no damn reason. I literally stated the reason Kessel isn't needed, but you just want to come in, and attack

Ice Mammoth

Mar 14, 2021
“Phil Kessel (50% retained by ARI) = 2022 2nd (CGY) Matthew Phillips or other B/C level prospect from Calgary”???

I think Arizona gets a little.
Arizona Coyotes - Dead cap, retained salary (2); Kuemper + Ekman-Larsson (CapFriendly).
The profit for this trade must be higher (1st 2022 min).

It might not make sense anyway if Arizona has another deal (@ 50% ret).
This is possible in the deadline if there is no better deal. Now such a deal is possible without Arizona withholding salaries. Compensation can be negotiated. Arizona needs to think seriously.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I think every Wild fan on the planet would rather give Boldy a look than acquire Kessel.

Reactions: rynryn

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I think every Wild fan on the planet would rather give Boldy a look than acquire Kessel.

Ya fair I definitely understand Wild fans not wanting Kessel. I was trying to find a centre rental similar to Kessel but I couldn't find one that fit given your cap concerns this summer so Kessel was kinda the best I could find. I was initially thinking a JT Miller type of deal but then you probs couldn't afford next year. Then there's the Pavelski/Giroux/Hertl group but I doubt any actually get traded unless one team really drops out of the race. And even then Pavelski within division is so unlikely.

Maybe you guys just stay the course and don't go for a rental and move Greenway for a pick in the off-season, but I feel like you guys are close rn and with cap space it kinda does make sense to push for it. Not sure who the right target is though

Trooth

Dec 5, 2021
To MIN:

To ARI:
2022 2nd (CGY)

To CGY:
Jordan Greenway

Thoughts?

Way more needs to come from the Flames. A 24 year old good 3rd line player under team control for another couple of years and all they are giving is a 2nd and a likely career AHL player. Honestly not sure why the Wild do this deal at all. Greenway is solid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad