Value of: Miles Wood

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

89mogilny

Apr 23, 2021
Lindy Ruff anticipates Wood back on the ice in 7-10 days. Time line would lead me to believe he has a fighting chance of being eligible to come off IR before the 21st. Hasn’t played all year and I doubt he’ll have much game time to show what he has…any chance a contender would show any interest?

Expiring contact and has “grit” teams looks for going into the playoffs…maybe a throw in to facilitate a PK Subban trade or even the other way around?

thoughts??

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd hope the Pens would be interested if he can be had for cheap. We could use the physical presence.

89mogilny

Apr 23, 2021
My thoughts are, watching the Devils play this season it's clear they miss what Wood brings and I very much doubt he'll be moved.

I’m pretty neutral on him as a player, where do you see him fitting in with having to string along Tatar and johnnsson next year? I think it would be unreasonable to have a guy making 3 million (+?) on your 4th line considering we have some talent in the pipeline…I struggle seeing him on the top line and with the emergence of Mercer does it squeeze him out?

might try to load up on conditions as there is not a player like wood rumored being available

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I’m pretty neutral on him as a player, where do you see him fitting in with having to string along Tatar and johnnsson next year? I think it would be unreasonable to have a guy making 3 million (+?) on your 4th line considering we have some talent in the pipeline…I struggle seeing him on the top line and with the emergence of Mercer does it squeeze him out?

might try to load up on conditions as there is not a player like wood rumored being available

Miles was on the de facto 4th line for most of last season and that line was effective for what they were asked to do. I'd imagine there'll be some other offseason moves (and maybe need to move out a winger for Holtz), but hypothetically to finish up this season:

Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Johnsson-Boqvist-Tatar
Wood-McLeod-Bastian
-----------
Vesey-Kuokkanen-Geertsen

Another year of seasoning for Nolan Foote wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Don't think Foote really profiles to be a 4th line LW anyways. I don't see a rush to move Wood before this deadline.

89mogilny

Apr 23, 2021
Miles was on the de facto 4th line for most of last season and that line was effective for what they were asked to do. I'd imagine there'll be some other offseason moves (and maybe need to move out a winger for Holtz), but hypothetically to finish up this season:

Sharangovich-Hughes-Mercer
Zacha-Hischier-Bratt
Johnsson-Boqvist-Tatar
Wood-McLeod-Bastian
-----------
Vesey-Kuokkanen-Geertsen

Another year of seasoning for Nolan Foote wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Don't think Foote really profiles to be a 4th line LW anyways. I don't see a rush to move Wood before this deadline.

i would love to have that energy on the fourth line, but what is that contract looking like going into being an RFA? I would imagine 3x3.25 is reasonable, but why have that money tied to a fourth liner?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i would love to have that energy on the fourth line, but what is that contract looking like going into being an RFA? I would imagine 3x3.25 is reasonable, but why have that money tied to a fourth liner?

I think you might be getting a little too tied to line designations. Even in a "4th line" capacity last season, Miles averaged a career best 14:59 per game; Comparatively Tatar/Johnsson are averaging 14:35 this season. Nate Bastian is getting 1st unit PP time to stand in front the net which would/could be Wood's role once he gets going again.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm confused about why we'd trade Wood if we aren't getting a king's ransom for him. We're talking about a player who paced 20+ goals a year ago despite relatively limited ice time. He's physical, fast, has a relatively inexpensive contract, and will be a RFA at the end of season. Yes, he was injured, but we're not under any need to trade him, and he's exactly the kind of player we need more of.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
what does his next contract look like and what line is he playing on
He probably doesn’t have a lot of leverage to get a bigger deal so I’d say he gets around 2-3 million a season and only gets a 2 year deal or he sign his QO and make 3.5. He’s locked in on the 4th line and PP1

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I was on the trade Wood train when the entire league was looking at his speed and style thinking a team contending would 100% want them in their line up and pay out the ears to get him. But right now, all things considered, if Wood was on a different team looking to dump him for what is the average of offers here, I would want the Devils to trade for him to round out the bottom 6......

Crazy world.

Reactions: mazmin

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
One of my favourite Devils. Skates as fast as anyone with the puck. Not a skilled guy reasonably tough and could still become a very high end 3rd line type whilst a constant threat to score on the PK

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Lindy Ruff anticipates Wood back on the ice in 7-10 days. Time line would lead me to believe he has a fighting chance of being eligible to come off IR before the 21st. Hasn’t played all year and I doubt he’ll have much game time to show what he has…any chance a contender would show any interest?

Expiring contact and has “grit” teams looks for going into the playoffs…maybe a throw in to facilitate a PK Subban trade or even the other way around?

thoughts??

Edmonton could probably use both Wood and Subban and anyone who will wear goal pads. Those two could definitely help a playoff run as they don’t require a ton of 5v5 ice but can easily help struggling special teams units

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

A great 4th liner alongside McLeod & Bastian, that can sometimes play up the lineup and on the powerplay. He offers something the Devils sorely lack in his physical play, combined with his speed & decent shot. Whatever realistic return they could get for Wood I am almost positive we're better off just keeping him. It's scattered around a large number of our GDT's but you'll see a bunch of comments like "this team really misses Wood right now" or "we could've used Wood this game." He's not some superstar but he's a good player.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It's not saying much, but don't forget that Wood led the team in goals last year, tied with Zacha with 17 in 55GP.
He is solid on the fourth line as the line plays well together but he is by no means a fourth liner. Prior to the begining of last season many Devils fans didn't have much interest in keeping him. Then he said prior to the season that he needs to step up his game and be a leader as it is a young team. He did just that. On pace for 25 goals on the fourth line is pretty good.
I'd rather resign him. We need more players like him. I would turn down a late first to be honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad