Rumor: Mikko Koskinen will sign with HC Lugano this summer

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Well, with the Oilers tack record and goalies I'm sure they'll find another sieve to take his place.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Well, with the Oilers tack record and goalies I'm sure they'll find another sieve to take his place.

Their current starter had a .923 Sv% last year and was 7th in Vezina voting, and then this past year had .915 and is currently in the second round coming off a win and has a .929 sv%. His record in that time was 37-15-4.

You keep saying it, eventually you'll be right.

Reactions: TheNumber4

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Lol why announce this now?

Edmonton is very much still in the playoffs and if Smith falters (which he has done in the past) they turn to the guy who’s already packing to leave?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Lol why announce this now?

Edmonton is very much still in the playoffs and if Smith falters (which he has done in the past) they turn to the guy who’s already packing to leave?
I don't think this impacts much for anyone. Everyone knew his time as an Oiler was up after this season. He's well liked and respected amongst his team members. They are probably all just happy for him that he's secured a job for next season and will be able to play out his career closer to home.

Won't change how he plays or how the team plays in front of him if he does end up back in. He's not the guy to win you a game in the playoffs either way.

Reactions: abo9 and HabsQC

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Remember when Chia took a wet, steaming dump on the Oilers as he got fired by signing this terrible contract on his way out?
Weirdest signing ever. Not the signibg itself. The dollars, and that just after some 20 games. Must be unheard of. A reason alone to ask Chiarelli a What happend here?? He sure would answer " I dont really remember, its foggy".

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Feel bad for the guy and the way he's been treated, but not really his fault Chia offered him a terrible contract. Won't be sad to see him go though considering he's overpaid by about 3.5M. Opens up room for a better young goalie in Skinner for 1/5th the price.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Their current starter had a .923 Sv% last year and was 7th in Vezina voting, and then this past year had .915 and is currently in the second round coming off a win and has a .929 sv%. His record in that time was 37-15-4.

He's also 40. Those are admittedly some impressive numbers, but I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that finding consistent goaltending has been the achilles heel of the Oilers in the McDrai era.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Weirdest signing ever. Not the signibg itself. The dollars, and that just after some 20 games. Must be unheard of. A reason alone to ask Chiarelli a What happend here?? He sure would answer " I dont really remember, its foggy".

Koskinen's contract circumstances are certainly unique. Last similar case I remember is Jeff Finger 13-14 years ago. He was a journeyman that played NCAA then mostly AHL until he got 22+71 games of "solid-ish" hockey for Colorado.

Finger's stat line was obviously inflated because he got pretty substantial icetime in what was a rebuilding team at the time. But despite fans and media being "unconvinced" to say the least about how unproven Finger was at the time, he proceeded to sign a ridiculous contract of $3.5M in a 56.8M cap era (equivalent to $5M now) for the Leafs, which didn't ultimately end up panning out for them.

But yeah, Koskinen's case with Chiarelli is pretty rare I think, but congrats on the guy for being able to better the lives of himself and his family to that extent. And Switzerland is a great place to live / raise kids in, so again, good choice and I wish him well.

PSfan

Dec 20, 2018
Because he got insane run support. How many goalies do you see cruising along with a winning record and a sub 900 SV%? It can’t be many in the last 20 years
It simply amazes me how often this is suggested to dismiss Koskinen's season. Consider this before repeating this nonsense... Seeing as until the final month of the season, Mikko was the only Oilers goalie with a winning record, if the team was outscoring his deficiencies so he could have that winning record, why couldn't / wouldn't they be able to do the same for Skinner or Smith?

Secondly, just to nit pick, Koskinen did finish the season with a 903 SV%

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
It simply amazes me how often this is suggested to dismiss Koskinen's season. Consider this before repeating this nonsense... Seeing as until the final month of the season, Mikko was the only Oilers goalie with a winning record, if the team was outscoring his deficiencies so he could have that winning record, why couldn't / wouldn't they be able to do the same for Skinner or Smith?

Secondly, just to nit pick, Koskinen did finish the season with a 903 SV%

First of all, it’s not nonsense in the slightest. There was a million discussions at the start of the year about how we were outscoring our issues.

The reason Smith didn’t have a winning record was he was out injured repeatedly, which makes it really hard to gain momentum, and once he was back, the high scoring streak was already over.

That’s not nitpicking. It’s just a misunderstanding. He was rocking a sub 900 SV% in late March, despite a very positive W/L ratio. He only got back above in the last month or so of the season.

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
Until the Oilers fix their low IQ/clueless defense, it won't matter which goalie comes and goes.

PSfan

Dec 20, 2018
First of all, it’s not nonsense in the slightest. There was a million discussions at the start of the year about how we were outscoring our issues.

The reason Smith didn’t have a winning record was he was out injured repeatedly, which makes it really hard to gain momentum, and once he was back, the high scoring streak was already over.

That’s not nitpicking. It’s just a misunderstanding. He was rocking a sub 900 SV% in late March, despite a very positive W/L ratio. He only got back above in the last month or so of the season.
It was nonsense then, its still nonsense now, when Mikko was 12-2 and this was being repeated, he had a 2.82 GAA, so we only needed an average of 3 goals a game to realistically win those games. Also to expand, during that 12-2 run, only in 4 games in that stretch did he let in 4 or more... his record in those game 2-2... SO if you want to be an idiot and carry on this narrative his 12-2 record was due to outscoring the issue... it only happened twice!

In a Mike Smith thread of HFoil its was suggested Smith was back to form as off Fab 11th (which happened to be Woodcroft's first game as head coach. wanna read a hilarious stat?

During Woodcroft's first 2 calendar months as head coach (Feb/march 2022) our Goalies records where:

Mikko - 9-2-2
Smith - 5-5-1
Skinner - 1-0-0

During Dave Tippets first 2 calendar months as head coach of Oilers (Oct/ Feb 2019, regular season games.) our Goalies records where:

Mikko - 9-2-X
Smith - 7-7-X

The X is because the site I'm getting those stats from only shows win and losses, no decisions could be overtime or shootout losses or just appearances in relief, I just find it interesting how history seems to repeat itself sometime...

And finally when I post just to nitpick, that's me nitpicking your post, not suggesting that you where being nitpicky for the sub 900 comments... however,

north49er

Dec 20, 2017

Keep dreaming, eventually you'll be right.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Saw on Facebook earlier today that Chris Johnston of TSN has implied that he may replace Mrazek as the Leafs backup next season but I can't find it,can anybody verify if this was said?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad