Prospect Info: Mikhail Yegorov - pick #49 2024 NHL Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
interesting pick here. liked moysevich/zarubin a bit more but yegorov was still a good target. best NA-based goalie this year by far, dont let anyone convince you the major junior kids were better

big, athletic, really quick/snappy movement in net. thats not to say hes the most fluid mover in the crease (hes not), but combined with his structure, it makes him tough to beat. hes also undisturbed by pressure/traffic out front. fiercely competitive too, never gives up on plays despie getting shelled night in and night out because of his crap team. absolutely no one should get wrapped up in his stats being poor

some legitimate gripes about refining his mobilty (ie not overshooting/undershooting lateral movement on save attempts), his anticipation, and the fact that, in spite of the positives, he doesnt have the results yet. but theres many things here that could combine to form a starter

think the plan is another year in omaha before amking the jump to BU. with how goalies develop nowadays, id prefer someone based out of russia. next best, though, would be in college. theres boom potential here. best draft day goalie prospect weve taken in a decade, and a great personality as well

bigger report later

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Cant be mad at a big Russian goalie whos already over here and will get some NCAA coaching

Could turn out to be a very nice and cheap transition for us into a future tandem of Daws-Yegorov

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
from hearing him talk he seems extremely well acclimated to English and well spoken. watching him speak and respond to questions, its impossible not to like this kid. very excited for this pick and the devils obviously feel the same for trading up to get him.

Reactions: OmNomNom

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I love that the Devils subscribe to the philosophy of drafting a goalie ever year. As much as an Askarov type prospect is exciting, I'd always rather go for quantity over quality with goalie prospects. The only downside with that strategy is you can run out of places for them to play, so having him in the NCAA is great.

In the NFL I will never ever complain if my team takes OL/DL, and in the NHL I will never complain if my team takes one G (anywhere after the first round)

Reactions: My3Sons

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Fans: "We want Askarov!"
Fitz: "We have Askarov at home"

Askarov at home:

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
On the ESPN broadcast, they said he was struggling until he had an eye exam and found out he had vision issues. Got it addressed and his numbers improved.

They also said he's using VR technology to work on his tracking and reflexes, said it shows how eager he is to improve.
Didn’t he say he models his game after MacKenzie Blackwood and Vitek Vanacek and he can’t wait to interact with the good fans on hf Devils who like to comment on goaltending. Elliot Friedman asked him if he’s ready to stand up to the withering criticism of @Bleedred and he laughed amd responded that the guy who advocated for Russian goalies to stay in the KHL to develop is much tougher on him. I’m thinking he was referring to @Guadana . His goal is not to induce an aneurysm anytime during thr next three years. I think his head is on straight and he’s saying all the right things.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00