Player Discussion: Mikhail Sergachev

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I sometimes wonder if we'll be lucky to see Yzerman shake up the core at all. Cuz patience and all.... I'm against it. We upset the establishment one time by moving on from the likes of Boyle, Brown, Filppula for Cirelli, Point and Gourde and we are immeasurably better. But to Boyle's credit I'd take him back in a second.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
tbf that wouldn't even be a bad deal for the habs, their current C depth is Danault DeLaRose and Froese LOOOOOOL

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Ceiling: Slightly better than Bobby Orr
Floor: Slightly better than Erik Karlsson

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That still wouldn't make him a RHD...... and when did he say that? MS has played left side his entire career sans a couple games this season.

I dont think I ever saw him say that he "prefers" it but Ive seen him say that he "likes" it.

Mikhail Sergachev ‘hasn’t missed a beat’ on right side
It has been a comfortable fit for Sergachev, a skilled puck-mover who often played on the right in juniors with Windsor of the Ontario League.

"I like it," Sergachev said. "You can do different things. Your stick is to the middle always, and you can shoot one-timers from the right. It's just different. Sometimes it's better."

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
But like 70 point top pair with potential for Norris, or like 50 point guy like krug or ristolainen?

I mean, he did 40 in a pretty sheltered rookie season. Don’t think 50 this year would surprised anyone. 70 on this team certainly is not out of the question, but hard to say. We will have a better idea in a few months.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean, he did 40 in a pretty sheltered rookie season. Don’t think 50 this year would surprised anyone. 70 on this team certainly is not out of the question, but hard to say. We will have a better idea in a few months.
50 would surprise me. In a weird way, the jump from 40 to 50 for a Dman is pretty huge, especially if he's given more responsibility.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think the sheltering helped him accumulate those points though.

I doubt he matches that total this year, although I think long-term he'll be a 50 point guy more often than not. We've seen a lot of guys show flashes of brilliance (Koekkoek was one of our best players in the 2016 series against the Pens), and then come back to earth. Sergachev's season was full of that. Just because he ended on a high note doesn't mean it's a given he'll pick up where he left off. We could still be a few years from MS being a legit top-4 defender.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think the sheltering helped him accumulate those points though.

I doubt he matches that total this year, although I think long-term he'll be a 50 point guy more often than not. We've seen a lot of guys show flashes of brilliance (Koekkoek was one of our best players in the 2016 series against the Pens), and then come back to earth. Sergachev's season was full of that. Just because he ended on a high note doesn't mean it's a given he'll pick up where he left off. We could still be a few years from MS being a legit top-4 defender.

IDK. I don't see him getting fewer offensive zone opportunities and he's shown the he excels with additional minutes.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
IDK. I don't see him getting fewer offensive zone opportunities and he's shown the he excels with additional minutes.

Yeah, but he only scored 1 goal in the second half, before finding his game again in the playoffs. I just don't think we should get our hopes too high based on what we saw most recently, and assume there'll be no more bumps in the road.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The guy is just 20 now, defensemen do not approach the top of there game until 25 or later. The unrealistic expectations on kids is one thing wrong with the game right now. Serg is not going anywhere for at least 4 to 5 years. And will be hitting his prime when Hedman starts his decline. It is impossible to imagine him going anywhere unless there is a tragic injury that ruins his game totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad