Player Discussion Mike Matheson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I like Matheson. I would look to move him in a trade sometime before his contract expires. Matheson and Laine at the 2026 TDL on expiring contracts could potentially return significant assets for non-core pieces.
What type of “significant assets” can they return that provides equivalent or more value to the team in the immediate than the players themselves?

The rebuild is OVER, I sense an issue coming to grips with it … now it’s all about getting young players to gain experience playing meaningful games in March & April and potentially at playoff time towards becoming a perennial top playoff seed

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
If Laine could return significant assets, then he would probably be a core piece.

It's definitely ok to extend a 28 year old core piece goal scorer.

Matheson at 32 would be a tougher call, but BIG IF he accepts #2-3D money, and the team is very competitive, maybe THEY SHOULD EXTEND. We will have lots of value contracts, we will be able to afford a couple of market rate ones for performing players. You don't win the prize with a tank/rebuild salary structure and a whole team under 27.
I understand your concerns, but I wouldn't want the Habs to extend Matheson. I think the risks outweigh the rewards in any extension, especially when you add in the return they'd get in a trade after deciding to not extend him.

Laine it's more up in the air, but I'd still guess at this point that the chances are that it will make more sense to trade him at the 2026 TDL. Obviously a lot can change.

IMO too many people on the board are worrying about having all good young players, and not enough veterans. I don't see that as a valid concern at present. And I also think that KH is keeping that in mind, which is why he kept Allen around and Savard and Matheson. But extending Savard or Matheson to new LTCs I think would be a costly mistake and force the Habs to have to decide too quickly on young defensemen.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I understand your concerns, but I wouldn't want the Habs to extend Matheson. I think the risks outweigh the rewards in any extension, especially when you add in the return they'd get in a trade after deciding to not extend him.

Laine it's more up in the air, but I'd still guess at this point that the chances are that it will make more sense to trade him at the 2026 TDL. Obviously a lot can change.

IMO too many people on the board are worrying about having all good young players, and not enough veterans. I don't see that as a valid concern at present. And I also think that KH is keeping that in mind, which is why he kept Allen around and Savard and Matheson. But extending Savard or Matheson to new LTCs I think would be a costly mistake and force the Habs to have to decide too quickly on young defensemen.
Pressure will mount to show the fruits of the rebuild starting this season … none of Struble, Xhekaj, Mailloux, Redenbacher will be on ELC in 2-seasons

Matheson will be 32 when his present contract expires - will depend on whether he’s willing to accept shorter term on next deal (3 yrs?). Never had any injury history impacting his bread & butter … skating / mobility. So his decline as a PMD will be minimal at worst and his experience factor will be significant

As for Savard, he’s not getting dealt if the team is in the playoff hunt, and if he’s willing to take a 2-year deal I can see Habs resigning him.

With all of the above there’s the organic growth factor: how much more will Struble & Xhekaj grow their games? Is Engstrom NHL caliber and if so how much time will he need in AHL?

Too many unknowns at present which should resolve itself over next 2-seasons

Last edited:

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
What type of “significant assets” can they return that provides equivalent or more value to the team in the immediate than the players themselves?

The rebuild is OVER, I sense an issue coming to grips with it … now it’s all about getting young players to gain experience playing meaningful games in March & April and potentially at playoff time towards becoming a perennial top playoff seed
The importance of good asset management does not end with a rebuild. Unnecessarily signing players to bad contracts that limit options moving forward is a recipe for failure. The model sports franchise to follow for a rebuild is OKC. If the Habs follow that example, they will be very successful. They are in a really good place at the moment. No need for Savard or Matheson after their current contracts. They should get good returns for those players, and also be able to replace them internally.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Overall, he does have some flaws and I’m not sure he can become one of the elite offensive dmen in the league, but he is our number 1 defenceman. Maybe cutting down on his minutes will help his overall game while still allowing him to produce at the same level is the solution. I’m excited to see what he can do with a stronger top 6 and better PP.
When one considers the inexperience of most of Matheson's fellow defencemen and that after the spate of injuries they suffered, Montreal's forwards were composed of one NHL quality line and three lines of fading veterans and career AHLers, it's a testament to Matheson's skill that he did as well as he did. MSL had no choice but to overplay Matheson in order to plug the many leaks in the good ship Canadiens.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
If Matheson can’t clean up his errors, there’s no way I want him extended. He is the Jake Gardiner of Erik Gustafssons…come playoffs you can’t have that type of player where every mistake is magnified.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
God I hate this board sometimes. Last year, he finished 9th in points for D, he already is an elite offensive dman. It's like people saying Suzuki is not a 1st center when he finished 17th in points and 16th in goals among centers.
That’s one season. I’m not a hater. I’m just saying let’s see what he becomes. There’s always some guys who sneak in and get lots of points or score lots of goals for a year then drop off. It doesn’t mean they’re elite. I don’t expect him to drop off though.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
That’s one season. I’m not a hater. I’m just saying let’s see what he becomes. There’s always some guys who sneak in and get lots of points or score lots of goals for a year then drop off. It doesn’t mean they’re elite. I don’t expect him to drop off though.

I don't expect him to repeat the point totals from last year but the term "career year" has been tossed around with respect to matheson for 3 years in a row now going back to his final season in Pittsburgh.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I don't expect him to repeat the point totals from last year but the term "career year" has been tossed around with respect to matheson for 3 years in a row now going back to his final season in Pittsburgh.
More goals, better PP. if he’s healthy, I can see 60 plus for sure. They have more offensive talent than last year (some because of additions and some because of health)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The importance of good asset management does not end with a rebuild. Unnecessarily signing players to bad contracts that limit options moving forward is a recipe for failure.

By the time Matheson is 33, ALL THREE of the Anderson, Gallagher and Price contracts will be expired.

If he happens to sign for an AAV that corresponds to a #2/3D, there is no reason for that contract to handcuff us.

I get not giving him 8 years at $8M, but 3-4 years at $5.5-6.5M is what contending clubs will be doing for their top 3 D, under a cap of almost $100M.

You can't win the big prizes while managing the cap like a tanking / rebuilding club. They give you $100M to spread 80% of it on your top 11 talented players. No need to fear when Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf and Guhle are all locked up for years.

The model sports franchise to follow for a rebuild is OKC. If the Habs follow that example, they will be very successful. They are in a really good place at the moment. No need for Savard or Matheson after their current contracts. They should get good returns for those players, and also be able to replace them internally.

Winning clubs keep a few talented players well into their 30s. In 12 months, the Habs can decide if Matheson's salary expectations are reasonable and he can be one of those.

Savard is another matter entirely. Trade him for a good return this year, or extend 1 year at a time for around $2M provided he can still handle 17-18 minutes.

bonneaug

Aug 2, 2017
Over/under 50pts?

Without knowing where Hutson will slot (AHL/NHL/on the PP), that's the fun of predictions, of course :)

Reactions: Tyson

Harry Kakalovich

Like and reply
Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
By the time Matheson is 33, ALL THREE of the Anderson, Gallagher and Price contracts will be expired.

If he happens to sign for an AAV that corresponds to a #2/3D, there is no reason for that contract to handcuff us.

I get not giving him 8 years at $8M, but 3-4 years at $5.5-6.5M is what contending clubs will be doing for their top 3 D, under a cap of almost $100M.

You can't win the big prizes while managing the cap like a tanking / rebuilding club. They give you $100M to spread 80% of it on your top 11 talented players. No need to fear when Suzuki, Caufield, Slaf and Guhle are all locked up for years.

Winning clubs keep a few talented players well into their 30s. In 12 months, the Habs can decide if Matheson's salary expectations are reasonable and he can be one of those.

Savard is another matter entirely. Trade him for a good return this year, or extend 1 year at a time for around $2M provided he can still handle 17-18 minutes.
If Matheson was really good like a Victor Hedman I would agree with you. But the reality is if Matheson is still needed in the top 4 in 3 seasons, it will probably mean that several of the Habs big name dmen prospects aren't working out.

But I'm ok to agree to disagree. Like I wrote originally, I like Matheson, but I hope the Habs trade him before his current contract expires.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Matheson was really good like a Victor Hedman I would agree with you. But the reality is if Matheson is still needed in the top 4 in 3 seasons, it will probably mean that several of the Habs big name dmen prospects aren't working out.

But I'm ok to agree to disagree. Like I wrote originally, I like Matheson, but I hope the Habs trade him before his current contract expires.
Talk about moving the goalposts! I say most teams have an over 30 top 3D i.e. Top 96 league-wide, and you want to measure him against a perennial Norris candidate or out he goes with the trash.

Last edited:

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
There's a lot of denial of MM's scoring ability. This guy is not good on the PP but man he can control the game and single handedly score goals. There are several offensive Dmen who played here who were much, much worse in their own end. MM is an excellent player, and I think he's going to be more effective now that the young guys are eating into his inflated role/minutes. I could easily see him sticking around as he's not old.

Reactions: Andrei79

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
There's a lot of denial of MM's scoring ability. This guy is not good on the PP but man he can control the game and single handedly score goals. There are several offensive Dmen who played here who were much, much worse in their own end. MM is an excellent player, and I think he's going to be more effective now that the young guys are eating into his inflated role/minutes. I could easily see him sticking around as he's not old.
And he wants to play here and is a team leader. Bottom line, MSL wants him and is fully cognitive of his important on-ice contributions. He's not playing 26 to 28 minutes a night by chance.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Management seem well aware of it. I'd add that they probably feel they can mold him further, though it remains to be seen how realistic that is. He's certainly fun to watch, he's a beautiful skater.

Reactions: Habssince89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad