Value of: Mike Hoffman at next tradeline (50%)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Way too early... and he's the kind of player teams don't add at the deadline.
More likely to be flipped at the draft for a similar contract, plays out his last season here, or ends up in Laval.

He's more likely to be lost on waivers than to fetch anything worthwhile.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Way too early... and he's the kind of player teams don't add at the deadline.
More likely to be flipped at the draft for a similar contract, plays out his last season here, or ends up in Laval.

He's more likely to be lost on waivers than to fetch anything worthwhile.
Big contract to lose on waivers

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I could see someone who missed out in Free Agency gambling on him for a late round pick before the start of next season. (Especially a team with the room)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I could see someone who missed out in Free Agency gambling on him for a late round pick before the start of next season. (Especially a team with the room)
What teams have room? Maybe Anaheim who needs salary to get to the floor could take him for free.

since Anaheim needs to get to the floor, their ask will be friendlier than montreal ask is to take on a contract.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
It might be better for montreal…..

no one else will take him 7nless you add a sweetener.

please look at cap space teams will have after signing RFAs in the summer.

there will probably be only 6 teams that will have 5M+ in space

a more likely scenario…

a team trades a late 2nd for him and FLA 1st…..then buys him out.
Wait you want to trade Hoffman and Florida 1st for a late second round pick?!?!

Umm yea. No.

I’d rather let him play it out and try a trade 50% retained at deadline. I’d even rather the buyout option than this proposal

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Maybe a third if he has a solid season, otherwise a 4th or so. Better discussion next January but I guess you Habs fans are bored having a non-playoff team.
No we are actually quite happy at the direction our team is headed.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
What teams have room? Maybe Anaheim who needs salary to get to the floor could take him for free.

since Anaheim needs to get to the floor, their ask will be friendlier than montreal ask is to take on a contract.

Yeah - Anaheim, Arizona, maybe a couple others. May be worthwhile for a 7th rounder --- or if MTL has to take back some salary that also ends after the next season, that may be okay as well, depending on who it is. I think MTL needs to free up some top 9 spots somehow.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The book is out by now on Mike Hoffman: slow skater, doesn't know how to back check, and make sometimes the bad decision with the puck. What he is also is a reliable scorer; he puts 30+ points seasons and he's solid on the PP.

Next year will be the final year of his contract. If the Habs retain half of his salary, could a team be interested in him for a playoff run?
see jvr

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah - Anaheim, Arizona, maybe a couple others. May be worthwhile for a 7th rounder --- or if MTL has to take back some salary that also ends after the next season, that may be okay as well, depending on who it is. I think MTL needs to free up some top 9 spots somehow.
With arizonaacquiring weber and Voracek contracts they don’t need high salaries to get to the cap floor. They just resign RFAs and promote ELC/ league min contracts and they are above the floor.

anaheim on the other hand are below the floor and needs to get salary just to get to the floor.

this happened last summer. Most teams were up against the cap with few teams having space . Isles GM wanted to move salary so he could sign Kadri. The teams that had space to take a $4M+ salary had roster plans and saigpd to him we don’t need your players and aren’t giving you anything to get them nd you need to sweeten them for us to take them.

we will see this again this summer with not many teams having $5M+ in space

teams with $5M in space..

Likely out of playoffs next year…Anaheim, San Jose, arizona, Chicago
those who can make it or contend… Carolina, buffalo, Detroit, New Jersey

there might be a couple others depending on roster moves/ trades thst might be done at draft with resigning RFAs or trading them.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
No we are actually quite happy at the direction our team is headed.
Cool but Habs fans must be bored if they‘re floating dregs like Hoffman around the trade forums after the TDL asking what he could fetch next TDL.

What other dreg do you guys want to float around for next TDL discussion. Yo L Armia at 50%?

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'm not sure why a team would prefer Hoffman at 2.25m over a younger player in their system who can also be void of defense and put up 30-35 points

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Yes it will be a good thing trading Hoffman but if no team want him @ TDL not sure a team will want to have it for next year. Maybe a TDL trade next year for only 2 month of hockey they will find a trade partner.

Montréal front office off season objective are : try to trade for a young goalie or draft one and try to trade a couple of Contract (Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia and Dvorak) objective 2 on this 4 need to leave.

Montréal front office objective next season are evaluate the young core D to see which one do you keep (too much D).

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The book is out by now on Mike Hoffman: slow skater, doesn't know how to back check, and make sometimes the bad decision with the puck. What he is also is a reliable scorer; he puts 30+ points seasons and he's solid on the PP.

Next year will be the final year of his contract. If the Habs retain half of his salary, could a team be interested in him for a playoff run?
Oh no. We going to gt 20 proposal next year of Hoffman to Edmonton. Hoffman has zero value. Arizona would probably take him with something added from Montreal. Hoffman cap has more value than the player

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Montréal front office off season objective are : try to trade for a young goalie or draft one and try to trade a couple of Contract (Hoffman, Gallagher, Armia and Dvorak) objective 2 on this 4 need to leave.

I assure the Canadiens will make zero effort to trade Brendan Gallagher.

I would be shocked - and confused - if they traded away Dvorak either.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This guy isn’t getting anything back even at 50% next deadline. He’s toast

He's not playing and better or worse than Dadonov did. This is very premature to talk about cause the 2024 deadline is almost a year away but we will likely be moving him at 50% at next deadline. The 50% is kind of a no brainer but what do we get back? Depends on how he trends next year. Doubt it's a 1st rounder but a 2nd+ or someone like Gurianov? It's possible.

Did I expect Dadonov at 50% to get anything close to Gurianov? NO

Hoffman from Oct to Mar 3rd:
* 25 pts with 9 goals in 48 games

Dadonov from Oct to Mar 3rd:
* 18 pts with 4 goals in 50 games

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
You're reading the wrong book if you think Mike Hoffman is slow. Aren't you a Canadiens fan? You watch him all the time, how did you get the idea he was a slow skater?
Maybe age has caught up to him finally? Things change... right?

He definitely has lost two, three steps since his time in Ottawa, and he really does have a problem moving his legs. He likes to stay put.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
He's not playing and better or worse than Dadonov did. This is very premature to talk about cause the 2024 deadline is almost a year away but we will likely be moving him at 50% at next deadline. The 50% is kind of a no brainer but what do we get back? Depends on how he trends next year. Doubt it's a 1st rounder but a 2nd+ or someone like Gurianov? It's possible.

Did I expect Dadonov at 50% to get anything close to Gurianov? NO

Hoffman from Oct to Mar 3rd:
* 25 pts with 9 goals in 48 games

Dadonov from Oct to Mar 3rd:
* 18 pts with 4 goals in 50 games
Gurianov is a reclamation project, probably around a 4th? in value. Seems like getting that back next TDL would be a very good trade for MTL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe age has caught up to him finally? Things change... right?

He definitely has lost two, three steps since his time in Ottawa, and he really does have a problem moving his legs. He likes to stay put.

If you look at his career, he's done well when he is on a stacked PP and with a very good center. He's got a better track record over Dadonov and he performed better than him this year on our roster.

I don't expect much at next year's deadline but we will get something and yes, 50% retention at a deadline is reasonable.

35% of Hoffman's production in his career comes on the PP. That's well above average for a type of winger like him. The issue with him is his cap hit but at 50% retention for the 2024 deadline, that becomes less of an issue like Dadonov this season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Gurianov is a reclamation project, probably around a 4th? in value. Seems like getting that back next TDL would be a very good trade for MTL.

Hard to say what Gurianov's value was if traded for a future only. He is a former 12th OA pick with a very good playoffs at age 22.

I think it's more than just a 4th rounder. Kulak got a 2nd rounder bud. However, the issue with him was the $2.9M arbitration and most cup contenders or playoff teams rather not have that issue heading into next season so the Stars were forced to move him to a bottom 16 team who had cap space for next year.

SensontheRush

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Hard to say what Gurianov's value was if traded for a future only. He is a former 12th OA pick with a very good playoffs at age 22.

I think it's more than just a 4th rounder. Kulak got a 2nd rounder bud. However, the issue with him was the $2.9M arbitration and most cup contenders or playoff teams rather not have that issue heading into next season so the Stars were forced to move him to a bottom 16 team who had cap space for next year.
Kulak does have more points than Gurianov this year...

2nd pairing/3rd pairing D seem to be much more valuable than depth forwards IMO.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad