Mike Commodore goes off on Babcock (Mod warning in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Babcock is a not horrific coach, he is a very good coach, but once Dubas took over you could see the disconnect. It was like he almost wanted to get canned. Biggest mistake was Dubas taking too long, whether his hands were tied or not is something noone on here will know. The fact that Dubas wasnt even in the room when they fired Babcock is a little concerning though. Must be scared, which is probably why he gets steamrolled in contract negotiations.

Is that factual?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I still don't understand how people can stand behind Commodore and Fraser. Both Tweets are extremely immature and unprofessional. Fraser's is especially bad and so is his cynicism.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I still don't understand how people can stand behind Commodore and Fraser. Both Tweets are extremely immature and unprofessional. Fraser's is especially bad and so is his cynicism.
It validates opinions. Still doesn't explain why it all worked out until last season.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
No. The franchise record for points might have something to do with it

How much do you want to bet that the record for points is broken over the next 3yrs? If anything I think he might have held them back from achieving even more. They won in spite of his tactics in many cases due to their talent. The leafs being around 500% was them tanking to get rid of him...it just didn't look like it because they are too talented to look too horrific (Pitts game notwithstanding) and people thought it was a slump.

I think he had a few guys on the team that liked him (JT, Hyman,Goat and Shore)...other than that everyone else was happy to see him go. He totally lost the team with the stunt he pulled on Spezza. That was where they just said F-it....I don't care anymore. Look at Willy back checking like a devil now...was he right to be lazy and not trying for Babs? I don't think we know what kind of hell he was probably putting him through behind the scenes..but he is human..not a robot. I thought he loved Marner to death...and then we find out what was going on...so imagine if he didn't like you what it was like.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
How much do you want to bet that the record for points is broken over the next 3yrs? If anything I think he might have held them back from achieving even more. They won in spite of his tactics in many cases due to their talent. The leafs being around 500% was them tanking to get rid of him...it just didn't look like it because they are too talented to look too horrific (Pitts game notwithstanding) and people thought it was a slump.

I think he had a few guys on the team that liked him (JT, Hyman,Goat and Shore)...other than that everyone else was happy to see him go. He totally lost the team with the stunt he pulled on Spezza. That was where they just said F-it....I don't care anymore. Look at Willy back checking like a devil now...was he right to be lazy and not trying for Babs? I don't think we know what kind of hell he was probably putting him through behind the scenes..but he is human..not a robot. I thought he loved Marner to death...and then we find out what was going on...so imagine if he didn't like you what it was like.
So your argument is based on predicting the future? You said he gets credit for being a basement team. I point out indisputable 'credit' that is deserved and you say he gets none cause it might be broken?

I'm not saying he isn't difficult. I just don't see how the minute Dubas gets in just happens to be the same time they start hating the coach. Not saying it's on Dubas but it's obvious that relationship was the problem. And that's ALL Shanny who seems to fly under the radar

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
ZERO playoff rounds won.

The "most points" thing is misleading and should not be used to compare teams historically.

Pat Quinn had season of 103 , 100, 100 points. This was before they added the OTL points. It was also not a watered-down league like it is today.

The standings look better today because they mask the true won-loss records, making teams appear to be over .500
This is largely a marketing gimmick by Bettman. He wants to give the lesser teams a chance to win points, and thus spread mediocrity throughout the league.
and? Do you know how long it's been since we won a playoff round? Consistent playoffs for the 1st time in a long time. You can't knock that especially considering the past 15 years.

Maybe he didn't do enough but to say he did damage.....silly imo

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
I'm trying my best not to have an opinion when it comes to those tweets, but it's getting harder to feel bad for Babcock the more stuff comes out. The Marner thing from today, whether it's true or not, made me stop and think what kind of person would do that. Someone that would do that is the same kind of person that those tweets describe. I'm still trying to keep a neutral stance on that stuff, but I don't know how much longer that will stand with new stuff coming out

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Babcock is a not horrific coach, he is a very good coach, but once Dubas took over you could see the disconnect. It was like he almost wanted to get canned. Biggest mistake was Dubas taking too long, whether his hands were tied or not is something noone on here will know. The fact that Dubas wasnt even in the room when they fired Babcock is a little concerning though. Must be scared, which is probably why he gets steamrolled in contract negotiations.

It's been reported that Shanahan wanted to be the one to let Babcock go because he was the one who convinced him to come here. But nah, it must actually be because Dubas is a beta cuck soy boy nu male. :eyeroll:

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
If that Marner story is true, seriously, f*** Babcock.

If this is the shit he's been pulling, it's no wonder our players weren't taking discounts to play here.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I get you have a major dislike for Babcock, but these two post are just embarrassing.

Either last place was the best he could do, or he purposely lost games. There really isn't another option here.

If you want to credit Babcock for the 105 point finish, he gets credit for our worst finish in ages too. Blame the roster if you want, you can just as easily say that the roster was the reason we got 105 points.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
It's been reported that Shanahan wanted to be the one to let Babcock go because he was the one who convinced him to come here. But nah, it must actually be because Dubas is a beta **** soy boy nu male. :eyeroll:
Corsi soy-boy is more like it. Dubas mentioning every damn reporter by name, at every presser, is annoying as hell. It's such a phony act. It plays well with the progressives in Toronto and the left-leaning media.

Last edited:

Jun 27, 2005
No. The franchise record for points might have something to do with it

We've had better seasons point % wise but it was a long time ago. The problem that some of us are pointing out is that team still underperformed. Babcock had a team in Detroit with 124 points and that season he was bounced in the first round. He is a serial underperformer. He is under .500 in the playoffs in his last 11 years.

Reactions: ToMaLe

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Either last place was the best he could do, or he purposely lost games. There really isn't another option here.

If you want to credit Babcock for the 105 point finish, he gets credit for our worst finish in ages too. Blame the roster if you want, you can just as easily say that the roster was the reason we got 105 points.
Didn't realize you weren't aware of the plan for that season. Hope Santa brings you something nice this year.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
We've had better seasons point % wise but it was a long time ago. The problem that some of us are pointing out is that team still underperformed. Babcock had a team in Detroit with 124 points and that season he was bounced in the first round. He is a serial underperformer. He is under .500 in the playoffs in his last 11 years.
Ok. But going into year one with Dubas and now Johnny T we were looking good. Nobody was concerned at all. Agreed?

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
I have a kid. Marner was an adult at the time. I still don't understand.

Making a team, being picked, not qualifying, winning, evaluations, etc. What mind game is that? This is sports I'm afraid. It happens on the school ground. Someone chooses me on their team and sometimes I'm chosen last. I am well adjusted.

So, the second your kid turns 18 you're perfectly fine with whatever abuse is thrown his way? Marner was basically still a kid and Babcock is in a position of power. It's messed up if true. The argument that he's not a kid so it's fine just blows my mind. Is it okay for my boss to humiliate me in front of my co-workers because I'm an adult? Like what.

This is way beyond just choosing who makes a team or not, this is humiliating someone in some ass backwards motivation attempt (or maybe Babcock just didn't like Marner, who knows). The argument this is X and that's just the way it is is super lame too. This "is sports" only because people are willing to defend this type of crappy behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad