Value of: Mikael Granlund to a contender

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Save Baby Jesus! The guy has been playing the best hockey in his career, on the worst team in the league last season and the start of this. His marriage-problems are behind him and other issues. If his teammates actually could score he would have a lot more points. One of the best setup-players in the league and can play C and W. At 5M/yr he would absolutely be an asset on a team contending as a setup-man, if he only would have a scorer on his line.

2023-2024 69gp 12g 48a 60p on SHARKS

2024-2025 6gp 0g 6a 6p on SHARKS

Last game he got 0+1 again. He setup maybe 4-5 chances to score additionally, but his teammates absolutely cant finnish.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Plays hard too. Will do everything, if he's the first guy in the zone, he gets in on the forecheck and lays the body regardless of how puny he is.

I'd like to keep him because we don't have centermen or playmakers at all but...

Absolute NO to a trade to Vegas. Every other team is OK.
Who cares where he goes. The best offer should - and will - be accepted. See Hertl trade.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
Save Baby Jesus! The guy has been playing the best hockey in his career, on the worst team in the league last season and the start of this. His marriage-problems are behind him and other issues. If his teammates actually could score he would have a lot more points. One of the best setup-players in the league and can play C and W. At 5M/yr he would absolutely be an asset on a team contending as a setup-man, if he only would have a scorer on his line.

2023-2024 69gp 12g 48a 60p on SHARKS

2024-2025 6gp 0g 6a 6p on SHARKS

Last game he got 0+1 again. He setup maybe 4-5 chances to score additionally, but his teammates absolutely cant finnish.
I was unaware his outside issues were hindering his game at all, didn't know any of that really, I mean not many would.

I looked it up, yikes - Meets a bloke in the UK via online and messaging while she was still with Granlund, then separates and files for divorce the month she goes to hook up with him in June. Yeah I can see how that'd mess a bloke up like it did when he was traded to the Penguins. Explains a lot actually, that he wasn't mentally there during that.

I always liked Granlund, even with the idiotic usage of him on the Penguins. If he were to keep up the same play as last season then he'd be a very good add for another team, except the Sharks can't retain salary this year so they'd have to trade him to an intermediary that they'd have to give up something to do that for them to get back the bigger return, which has been done several times before over the years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shark Finn

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I was unaware his outside issues were hindering his game at all, didn't know any of that really, I mean not many would.

I looked it up, yikes - Meets a bloke in the UK via online and messaging while she was still with Granlund, then separates and files for divorce the month she goes to hook up with him in June. Yeah I can see how that'd mess a bloke up like it did when he was traded to the Penguins. Explains a lot actually, that he wasn't mentally there during that.

I always liked Granlund, even with the idiotic usage of him on the Penguins. If he were to keep up the same play as last season then he'd be a very good add for another team, except the Sharks can't retain salary this year so they'd have to trade him to an intermediary that they'd have to give up something to do that for them to get back the bigger return, which has been done several times before over the years.
I got the feeling that when the Pens got him they were still hoping to make the playoffs and that he would be there as an injury replacement.

Honour Over Glory

Blomqvist for Vezina + ROTY
Jan 30, 2012
I got the feeling that when the Pens got him they were still hoping to make the playoffs and that he would be there as an injury replacement.
Knowing what we know now, I can see why he was off his game that year, he got a lot of crap for his play while he was dealing with tough stuff in his private life. I think blokes forget sometimes that they also deal with real shit that can also hinder performance just like anyone else.

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If we can't get a first, I might just re-sign him. He's a really good complimentary winger for our young kids. However, if we can get a first then we have someone who better fits our core. SJ can take back a bad contract (as long as it's under 2.25 years, and/or could throw in a 3rd/4th to an intermediary to retain $2.5M at the deadline. Given he plays all three forward positions, plays hard, is solid both ways, and playing quite well, got to think a lot of teams will have interest.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You can get a late 1st at the deadline but with where the Sharks are at in their rebuild it makes more sense to extend him. The on ice value of shepherding the next core is worth more than another late 1st.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was dubious when the Sharks acquired him, but he's been fantastic with the Sharks, both on and off the ice, and has had positive influences on all our young forwards. If we can't get a 1st, I would see if he's interested in sticking around for a couple more years. But Grier is very much a player's GM--he'll move Granlund at the deadline if he wants to be moved to a contender.

Reactions: Hollowmoon

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Liljegren, Jarnkrok & 2nd?

Ferraro - Liljegren could be a decent 2nd pair. Lily doesn't seem to be a fit in Berube's system, but the talent and potential is there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad