Player Discussion Mikael Backlund

L13

Oct 1, 2015
I credit Brent Sutter with Backlund's development as a premier defensive centreman. Backlund got the same treatment Bennett is getting now for several years under Brent and became much more dependable for it. Hartley I credit with recognizing Backlund's effect on the game, giving him decent linemates, and deploying him to mask the rest of the lineups deficiencies. Gulutzan I credit with leaning on Backlund like a cripple leans on a cane.

Mikael I credit with being too sexy for his shirt.

Backlund had to prove himself to Hartley all over again every time he came back from injury. Hartley was very reluctant to give him good linemates.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
No he's not, if you told people he would only end up a 40-50 point two-way 2nd line center people would have been disappointed. The vast majority people hear first round pick and are disappointed if they end up as any less than a first line talent
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1374979

Seems like most people had accepted that around 3-4 years ago.

The earlier projections of 70 points in his prime (around his draft year) were bordering on ridiculous optimism however.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1374979

Seems like most people had accepted that around 3-4 years ago.

The earlier projections of 70 points in his prime (around his draft year) were bordering on ridiculous optimism however.

Expectations have even gone up a bit over the past 2-3 year even.

I think the folks expecting a top C were pretty excited about what this kid was doing in the WHL, PLUS the thought he was going to be playing with a 70 point Iggy :laugh:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I credit Brent Sutter with Backlund's development as a premier defensive centreman. Backlund got the same treatment Bennett is getting now for several years under Brent and became much more dependable for it. Hartley I credit with recognizing Backlund's effect on the game, giving him decent linemates, and deploying him to mask the rest of the lineups deficiencies. Gulutzan I credit with leaning on Backlund like a cripple leans on a cane.

Mikael I credit with being too sexy for his shirt.

I definitely disagree with the former. Even when he broke in as a 4th liner, Backlund was good defensively for his age (and I'd say above average right off the bat). Defensive play was never a concern for him, ever. It was always becoming more aggressive offensively. Sutter also didn't give him any credit for how good he actually was. Hartley, I think, recognized him as a good player, though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I give credit to team trainers/doctors... etc. Being able to play full-time is why he's broken out.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
Expectations have even gone up a bit over the past 2-3 year even.

I think the folks expecting a top C were pretty excited about what this kid was doing in the WHL, PLUS the thought he was going to be playing with a 70 point Iggy :laugh:

Though still highly optimistic, this was in a point in time when 70 points wasn't even considered first liner status.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Though still highly optimistic, this was in a point in time when 70 points wasn't even considered first liner status.

I very nearly said that wasn't true until I went back and looked at the scoring from 08-09 season Edit: I'm an idiot for those that saw the original. I still don't think that's entirely accurate. Only 40 players broke 70 points, so unless 20 teams only had 1 first liner and 10 teams had 2, I'm not sure that's accurate.

But to fair Iggy got 89 points that year and Cammy had 82, so the idea of Backlund playing between those two was tantalizing at the time.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I very nearly said that wasn't true until I went back and looked at the scoring from 08-09 season Edit: I'm an idiot for those that saw the original. I still don't think that's entirely accurate. Only 40 players broke 70 points, so unless 20 teams only had 1 first liner and 10 teams had 2, I'm not sure that's accurate.

But to fair Iggy got 89 points that year and Cammy had 82, so the idea of Backlund playing between those two was tantalizing at the time.

You're right, I think I'm thinking of the season prior when scoring was still relatively high. What I want to say is 70 points then is a lot different than 70 points now,

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
You're right, I think I'm thinking of the season prior when scoring was still relatively high. What I want to say is 70 points then is a lot different than 70 points now,

Absolutely. It's nuts how much scoring has changed. More evenly distributed throughout the lineup and lower scoring overall in the league.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I give credit to team trainers/doctors... etc. Being able to play full-time is why he's broken out.

Haha that's true. Although his injuries all seem to have been random unfortunate incidents rather than recurring issues. Like Stajan breaking his hand in practice (that miffed me for weeks).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Haha that's true. Although his injuries all seem to have been random unfortunate incidents rather than recurring issues. Like Stajan breaking his hand in practice (that miffed me for weeks).
he took on a new personal trainer after his groin injury, it is interesting that he has become more durable since then. I think I recall hearing something about focusing more on flexibility and such.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
he took on a new personal trainer after his groin injury, it is interesting that he has become more durable since then. I think I recall hearing something about focusing more on flexibility and such.

Nice. If that's keeping him on the ice more, I'm all for it.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Extend him this summer or trade him, imo.

Dont want to lose him for nothing and we are still not ready to make a cup charge next year.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I bet Backlund takes a slight hometown discount. Something like 4.5 x 4 or 5

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I would be fine with selling high on Backlund, provided the return was right.. I'd be in the minority, however.

I agree, depending on the return. I'm leaning the same way with Brodie after next season, only because I feel our real competitive window may be a little further away than many of us thought and I don't think we'll be able to afford the extension.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
High is relative. You're not getting a blue chip prospect or player for a one year rental with a career high of 47 points. You might get something similar to what Vermette returned at the deadline (1st and Wotherspoon type prospect) or equivalent value salaried roster player.

I'd easily keep Backlund at 5Mx5yrs over that scenario. Especially since Bennett hasn't taken the next step and Jankowski's offense will likely take a while to materialize at the NHL level.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why Mikael Backlund has become the Flames’ most impactful centre

Backlund has flown under the radar as an excellent hockey player for a long time, but he really started to get attention from those outside Calgary last season when he finally hit the 20-goal mark for the first time.

This year, with nearly a quarter of the season to go, he’s already equaled last season’s offensive production, and you could make an argument he was the team’s MVP while some of their marquee stars struggled to start the season.

What makes Backlund special isn’t his offensive game, though. That’s just starting to catch up to his domination of the run of play, just look at his performance relative to his teammates this season.

Easily the team's MVP this season. Hopefully it comes through in the form of a Selke nomination at the very least.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
This will sound odd to a lot of you, but I would say the biggest thing that contributed to Backlunds success these past 2 seasons, is his personal life. Where he was vs where he is now is drastically different. It's a much more positive situation, and he went from being a kid to a grown man. The maturity off the ice has translated to on ice performance. This guy is loyal to his own detriment. He will do whatever it takes to be a Flame for Life.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
This will sound odd to a lot of you, but I would say the biggest thing that contributed to Backlunds success these past 2 seasons, is his personal life. Where he was vs where he is now is drastically different. It's a much more positive situation, and he went from being a kid to a grown man. The maturity off the ice has translated to on ice performance. This guy is loyal to his own detriment. He will do whatever it takes to be a Flame for Life.

Can you elaborate?

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I would be fine with selling high on Backlund, provided the return was right.. I'd be in the minority, however.

The real issue here is cap dollars. How much of a home town discount is Backs willing to concede before he checks out his other options.

Most don't realize how hard it is going to be to fit all of the contracts coming due in the next couple years.

First to contend you need a goalie and that is going to cost between 5-7 million a season. (Gillies will not be ready for next year and yes with this nucleus the team has to be ready to contend.)

Next you have to sign Bennett to a bridge deal that will likely be in the neighborhood of 3M per for 2-3 years.

Lazar luckily for the Flames will likely sign a show me contract around $1.5M.

The Flames will likely need to sign a back-up, Stone and one other D-man to contracts leaving a spot for a graduate of the AHL.

The year after Backlund's contract is up Matthew Tkachuk will need to be signed and there is no way, from everything to this point that he will sign for less than Johnny or Monahan. Janko will likely be playing with the big club and will need to be resigned. Then you have Klimmer, Shinkaruk, Poirier, Andersson, Kylington, Mangiapane, Kulak and a few others could also make impressions requiring contracts and spots in the line-up.

Simply put if a contract is not signed by the trading deadline next year I could see him being moved.

On the open market Backs will garner 6-7M with teams like Montreal, Carolina, Ottawa, Detroit, and New Jersey in the mix. This year will make him worth Bergeron money as his underlying numbers and point production will put him on par with Patrice when he was about the same age.

IMO there will be no way the Flames will be able to afford his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $260.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $40.00