Confirmed with Link: Middleton extended (4 years x 4.35M AAV, limited NTC)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pick one

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So you think adding Trenin and keeping Middleton as our changes from last season will take us into the darkest decade era Sabres? That’s a reasonable take?
If it was just two players in BGs tenure, no... but we're not just talking about these two moves are we? We're talking about the bottom 6 player love that BG has had from day one. We're talking about adding these two to on top of all his moves here.

BG didn't suddenly become GM this week. He took a perennial playoff team and has been driving it into the ground year by year.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
If it was just two players in BGs tenure, no... but we're not just talking about these two moves are we? We're talking about the bottom 6 player love that BG has had from day one. We're talking about adding these two to on top of all his moves here.

BG didn't suddenly become GM this week. He took a perennial playoff team and has been driving it into the ground year by year.
I disagree with you about the direction of this team and I will just leave it at that for now.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I disagree with you about the direction of this team and I will just leave it at that for now.
That's fine, I don't expect everyone to agree. For a while, I was wait and see with Billy myself... the drafting has been good when he trusts his scouts, but most every other aspect has left me wanting. Those late offseason extentions were about the final straw in my opinion of him, then he piled these on top?

I've got no faith in GMBG running this team to any real meaningful result.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
That's fine, I don't expect everyone to agree. For a while, I was wait and see with Billy myself... the drafting has been good when he trusts his scouts, but most every other aspect has left me wanting. Those late offseason extentions were about the final straw in my opinion of him, then he piled these on top?

I've got no faith in GMBG running this team to any real meaningful result.
Amen. I cannot see a viable path for the next 5 years to make this team even sniff relevancy. It’s why I got rid of my tickets, and watched the last few seasons less than ever. He’s stuck in 1987 and this team is nowhere close to relevancy. Utah is on a better path.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Amen. I cannot see a viable path for the next 5 years to make this team even sniff relevancy. It’s why I got rid of my tickets, and watched the last few seasons less than ever. He’s stuck in 1987 and this team is nowhere close to relevancy. Utah is on a better path.
He's more so stuck in the dead puck era imo... early 2000's when skilled players were handcuffed and grinders decided games.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He's more so stuck in the dead puck era imo... early 2000's when skilled players were handcuffed and grinders decided games.

Off the top of my head GMBG has drafted, signed, re-signed, or traded for this murderers row of players that have been on the Wild NHL roster:

MarJo (x2)/Rossi/Zucc
Marat K/Steel/Nyqvist
Walker/Petan/Jost

Klingberg/Spurgeon
Goli/Addison

He's added the grinders and face punchers types too, for sure, but I wouldn't say that it's at lopsided ratio.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Maybe he watched the Stanley Cup Final too?
You think these grinders have the talent that Florida has?
The Panthers are not without skill.

Off the top of my head GMBG has drafted, signed, re-signed, or traded for this murderers row of players that have been on the Wild NHL roster:

MarJo (x2)/Rossi/Zucc
Marat K/Steel/Nyqvist
Walker/Petan/Jost

Klingberg/Spurgeon
Goli/Addison

He's added the grinders and face punchers types too, for sure, but I wouldn't say that it's at lopsided ratio.
He just commits to the grinders most.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Said it during the draft, really like what Armstrong is doing there. Just pissed that the team moved out of Arizona when things were starting to get good.

Don't worry. AZ will get a new team with the old owner in the next few years.

It's almost like the NHL looked at the local temperatures and decided it wanted to try inventing a brand new ring of hell.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't worry. AZ will get a new team with the old owner in the next few years.

It's almost like the NHL looked at the local temperatures and decided it wanted to try inventing a brand new ring of hell.

Alex Meruelo walked away, that deal was officially voided. Arizona is being treated like any other expansion market now. And it's probably better that way because Meruelo sucks a lot. But now it may be 5-10 years before they get a team back, and that's if anyone comes forward and wants to bring a team back there. Some fans speculated that Mat Ishbia (Suns owner) could do it, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate he wants to or is going to yet, and owning two professional sports teams is expensive.

I think they'll eventually get a team back, but the annoying part is that the one they already had is on its way to building a potential Cup contender, and now Utah gets that one and Arizona would start over from square one.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Alex Meruelo walked away, that deal was officially voided. Arizona is being treated like any other expansion market now. And it's probably better that way because Meruelo sucks a lot. But now it may be 5-10 years before they get a team back, and that's if anyone comes forward and wants to bring a team back there. Some fans speculated that Mat Ishbia (Suns owner) could do it, but I haven't seen anything that would indicate he wants to or is going to yet, and owning two professional sports teams is expensive.

I think they'll eventually get a team back, but the annoying part is that the one they already had is on its way to building a potential Cup contender, and now Utah gets that one and Arizona would start over from square one.

I didn't know that he walked away.

I don't think Meruelo would have allowed the GM to make the moves he has so far in UT. There has a lot of real money spent on players since the draft.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't know that he walked away.

I don't think Meruelo would have allowed the GM to make the moves he has so far in UT. There has a lot of real money spent on players since the draft.

Maybe not, guess we'll never know. Still, I really like the direction Armstrong was taking the team prior to the draft. They're going to be a heavy, skilled team. To me, Armstrong is actually doing what Guerin thinks Guerin is doing.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Guerin can't trade Kaprizov unless the owner agrees. In a Wild on 7th pod Leipold said he has the last word in everything that involves a large transaction. Also said he didn't like the Parise/Suter buyouts, but approved it because he trusts Guerin's plan.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
You think these grinders have the talent that Florida has?
The Panthers are not without skill.
No kidding. They were also outscored 23-15 over the series. When it came down to it, greater strength and size proved the deciding factor over speed and skill. Yes, you need a combination of those factors, but Marcus Foligno is quite possibly a guy who makes that difference over Marco Rossi. I guess I need to state the obvious: there are 82 games, and you can't win a 0-0 game. That said, no team has won a Cup without "grinders," which still implies athletes of extraordinary ability, since this is the NHL.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No kidding. They were also outscored 23-15 over the series. When it came down to it, greater strength and size proved the deciding factor over speed and skill. Yes, you need a combination of those factors, but Marcus Foligno is quite possibly a guy who makes that difference over Marco Rossi. I guess I need to state the obvious: there are 82 games, and you can't win a 0-0 game. That said, no team has won a Cup without "grinders," which still implies athletes of extraordinary ability, since this is the NHL.
Yes, you need grinders. Nobody said otherwise. BG just sees those as the MAIN necessity.
Grinders are the type of player you round out a team with, not build from. Grinders are there to support the better players that give you a chance to accomplish something bigger.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Guerin can't trade Kaprizov unless the owner agrees. In a Wild on 7th pod Leipold said he has the last word in everything that involves a large transaction. Also said he didn't like the Parise/Suter buyouts, but approved it because he trusts Guerin's plan.
Technically Guerin can't trade Kaprizov unless Kaprizov agrees.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure if anybody has said, but he has an NMC in year 1, and a 15 team no-trade list in years 2-4.

So if any of the LDs prove to be worth a damn, he can be traded to half the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad