Rumor: Michkov to NA

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut
While I am excited to see him 2 years early... there is real potential for this to be disaterous for Philly. Torts is going to do everything in his power to undermine this kid...and he weilds a lot of power.

Once Torts starts the talk of "hes not on the team yet...gotta earn a spot in camp" , get your popcorn ready.
wanna bet?

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI

According to SE, Philadelphia may pay SKA up to a million dollars to buy out the contract of striker Matvey Michkov.

Let us remind you that the hockey player’s agreement with the army team is valid until the end of the 2025/26 season, but it is planned that it will be terminated and the player will go to the NHL.

Also, according to our information, Michkov has changed his agent in North America - now his interests are represented by Paul Theofanos.

Philadelphia selected Michkov seventh overall in the 2023 NHL Entry Draft.
I didn't think NHL teams were allowed to buyout European contracts under the salary cap rules?

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Celebrini will win it all.
Rarely happens to be honest...

Here are the last 1OA's... almost none of them won the Calder

1719161943078.png

Nothing but elite players but very few Calder trophies... without googling I'm guessing Kane, Matthews and Mack and I could be dead wrong.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
I didn't think NHL teams were allowed to buyout European contracts under the salary cap rules?

That is what I am wondering.

SportsExpress was breaking the initial Michkov rumors back in April, so I trust their reporting. Maybe the Flyers found a legal loophole?

Last edited:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017

Based on everything I had read up to now, you are correct. It would be Michkov that would be absorbing the direct cost of the buyout per his contractual clause.. whether or not Philly is encouraging things along in the background, that’s another story.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

ponder719

The same New Era as before
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

As far as I'm aware, we're not, but as long as Michkov has a deal in place with SKA to do so independently, well, how he chooses to replenish his account after he comes here is his business. I'm sure he'll be paid reasonably by the Flyers, and there are absolutely endorsement opportunities available in Philadelphia.

Reactions: Random schmoe

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
I always question the accuracy of machine translation of Russian. I see it a lot in my day job and it's almost always incorrect to varying degrees. Point being, the statement that "Philadelphia may pay SKA" could be nuance that was mistranslated.

Maybe one of the native Russian speakers here can clarify or confirm?

Editing to add: Several Russian players have either had opt outs or a clause letting them buyout their own contract to come to the NHL. Ivan Miroshnichenko had something in his contract that allowed for early termination of his KHL contract, that's the first one that came to mind.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Rarely happens to be honest...

Here are the last 1OA's... almost none of them won the Calder

View attachment 885922

Nothing but elite players but very few Calder trophies... without googling I'm guessing Kane, Matthews and Mack and I could be dead wrong.
Ekblad did too, and in a few days Bedard joins the list. But yeah I agree it happens less often than people assume.

Reactions: Czechboy

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
While I am excited to see him 2 years early... there is real potential for this to be disaterous for Philly. Torts is going to do everything in his power to undermine this kid...and he weilds a lot of power.

Once Torts starts the talk of "hes not on the team yet...gotta earn a spot in camp" , get your popcorn ready.
Imagine thinking Briere would let all his hard work in getting this kid to come over to NA 1 year post-draft be decimated by Torts. C'mon now.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Ekblad did too, and in a few days Bedard joins the list. But yeah I agree it happens less often than people assume.
Thanks, I knew it was about 4 or 5 out of 20. For me.. no Oiler has ever won the Calder and think of our players from the 80's today.lol

FTR.. I do think if he comes, to get this back on track, Michkov is a very safe bet.

But, and this is what I said about Bedard before the season.. playing all 82 games as a teenager in the NHL is not easy in anyway at all. It's usually injuries that derail these guys (eg. McDavid was jetskiied into the boards by a Flyer that we later signed to play with him.lol).

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Imagine thinking Briere would let all his hard work in getting this kid to come over to NA 1 year post-draft be decimated by Torts. C'mon now.
Imagine the entire last offseason revolving around getting rid of guys Torts didnt like. Imagine actively trying to move a good young forward under contract bc torts doesnt like him. Imagine resigning a guy like Seeler instead of cashing in on a career year at the deadline.

Torts has a lot of say in the line up and moves Danny has made so far. Hes about to have a 19 year old in the mix who will be the face of the franchise before he sets foot on the ice. Think Torts' ego can handle that? And if it cant, who will Danny back?

• Haha
Reactions: ameselare

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad