Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I don't root for people to lose their jobs, but I am not exactly mourning this news either...

He needed to go in my opinion. Our play calling was extremely predictable for a ton of this season.

I get the feeling James Robert Cooter will land on his feet. Your empathy is admirable though, amigo. There is always room for predictable play calling at the college level what with the current incarnations of Wisconsin, UM and MSU:nod:.

Next season will be telling; Patricia has no excuses if he gets the O.C. he wants. Then again, if there is a repeat of this season, will they burn it down or will we see another Millen era ushered in? Lions fandom; where hope goes to die.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
anyone know where to get Red Wing schedule wallpapers? I used to use mw32.com but it seems they are no longer up and running.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Only the Lions would hire the guy who failed to give Marshawn Lynch the ball from the 1 yard line, to be OC.

Rebuilding since 57......:facepalm:
Hindsight still is 20/20. Bevell achieved a lot with the Seahawks and seems like a good get to me - the Lions are a tiny step behind losing the Superbowl on one questionable devision...

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Only the Lions would hire the guy who failed to give Marshawn Lynch the ball from the 1 yard line, to be OC.

Rebuilding since 57......:facepalm:
I've been defending this play for 5 years. Should be fun to re-ignite the discussion with the OC coming to Detroit.

(Also, it's going to be fun hearing everyone blame Carroll this whole time... and now all of a sudden it falls 100% on Bevell according to Detroit fans now that he's in Detroit)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I've been defending this play for 5 years. Should be fun to re-ignite the discussion with the OC coming to Detroit.

(Also, it's going to be fun hearing everyone blame Carroll this whole time... and now all of a sudden it falls 100% on Bevell according to Detroit fans now that he's in Detroit)

passing was fine. that specific play though..

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
passing was fine. that specific play though..
Now, I'm open to that idea. A fade or something would be less likely to result in an interception.
But all people want to say is "But Beastmode blah blah blah"

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Now, I'm open to that idea. A fade or something would be less likely to result in an interception.
But all people want to say is "But Beastmode blah blah blah"

Well yeah, when you have a guy that seemed genetically engineered to punch a ball into the endzone and a Super Bowl on the line...

I heard Carroll called that play but I don't think anyone can confirm it either way.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well yeah, when you have a guy that seemed genetically engineered to punch a ball into the endzone and a Super Bowl on the line...

I heard Carroll called that play but I don't think anyone can confirm it either way.

Carroll took responsibility right away. He provided some logic to it as well.

Seahawks' Pete Carroll explains ill-fated call in Super Bowl XLIX

"You could run on 2nd down, call timeout, have to throw on third and score, or incompletion and have to choose (run or pass) on the final down," Carroll texted. "That's ball logic, not 2nd guess logic ... you never think you'll throw an interception there, just as you don't think you would fumble."

The coordinator chipped in that the receiver didn't play the ball as best he could.

While Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell complained in postgame interviews that Lockette "could have been stronger through the ball," give Butler credit for beating him to the spot.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012

Plenty of guys have been "genetically engineered to punch a ball in the endzone" and they fail literally all the time.

The time on the clock dictated that you had to pass on one of the downs. To unanimously say doing it on the first play is the worst playcall in history, let alone bad at all, is just dumb

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Plenty of guys have been "genetically engineered to punch a ball in the endzone" and they fail literally all the time.

The time on the clock dictated that you had to pass on one of the downs. To unanimously say doing it on the first play is the worst playcall in history, let alone bad at all, is just dumb

First off, that could be one of the worst uses of "literally" I have ever seen. What you are saying is that no running back has ever been successful at breaking the end zone on a goal line stand...ever. Hey, "they fail literally all the time". Claiming that at all, is just dumb.

The positive from this is that you've shown me the light. That play is widely regarded as the worst play in SB history by sports writers who extensively cover the Nfl; I now see how they they are just dumb:thumbu:

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
First off, that could be one of the worst uses of "literally" I have ever seen. What you are saying is that no running back has ever been successful at breaking the end zone on a goal line stand...ever. Hey, "they fail literally all the time". Claiming that at all, is just dumb.

The positive from this is that you've shown me the light. That play is widely regarded as the worst play in SB history by sports writers who extensively cover the Nfl; I now see how they they are just dumb:thumbu:
So your argument is that I used the word "literally"?

Cool. If that wasn't just childish, it's also wrong. "All the time": very frequently or regularly. They literally fail all the time.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Am I the only one who thinks it looks bad that the Tigers aren't reportedly interested in Harper/Machado at all? Avila has been reloading the farm system for four years, there are only two significant contracts on the books, and they are something like $95 million below the luxury tax threshold. Go big on these two, bank on some of the pitchers that have been drafted to not be crap, and go forward. Not to mention some of these pitchers would probably look a bit better with an offense that can actually support them. And running Harper-Machado-Miggy-Castellanos out as the 2-5 hitters would do that.

The Tigers are being penny wise and pound foolish not stepping into the void and throwing their money around on these guys.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's pretty inexcusable that those guys never won anything in Detroit when you look back on those Tigers teams. Honestly to me that is a part of the correction going on in the market places. Baseball is a pretty big crap-shoot in terms of winning it all. So rarely does a team actually do what the Red Sox did last year. Unfortunate, but like I said as we get a little away from it, I don't think ownership to management could have done a lot more, we were just not hot at the right time of the year. We had all of the studs to pull it off, we should have won the Series at least once in that stretch.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
It's pretty inexcusable that those guys never won anything in Detroit when you look back on those Tigers teams. Honestly to me that is a part of the correction going on in the market places. Baseball is a pretty big crap-shoot in terms of winning it all. So rarely does a team actually do what the Red Sox did last year. Unfortunate, but like I said as we get a little away from it, I don't think ownership to management could have done a lot more, we were just not hot at the right time of the year. We had all of the studs to pull it off, we should have won the Series at least once in that stretch.

Bullpen cost them at least one, probably two titles. Watching Hunter do a somersault into the bullpen going for Ortiz’s grand slam was horrifying, they were stacked that year. Between that play, Valverde imploding, and Cruz hitting everything out of the park the Tigers just could not catch a break that championship teams need.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bullpen cost them at least one, probably two titles. Watching Hunter do a somersault into the bullpen going for Ortiz’s grand slam was horrifying, they were stacked that year. Between that play, Valverde imploding, and Cruz hitting everything out of the park the Tigers just could not catch a break that championship teams need.

What hurt is that even when the Tigers went out and signed a big name or two for the bullpen, those guys seemed to go all to hell the moment they put on the olde English D. I don't really blame the Tigers for not winning it all. It sucks, but they just didn't get the breaks when they needed them. It happens.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
What hurt is that even when the Tigers went out and signed a big name or two for the bullpen, those guys seemed to go all to hell the moment they put on the olde English D. I don't really blame the Tigers for not winning it all. It sucks, but they just didn't get the breaks when they needed them. It happens.
Agreed. It's very unfortunate that they never won a Series between '06 and '16 but it wasn't due to a lack of trying.

This Tony Paul piece from a couple years ago on their efforts to improve the bullpen is fantastic: Tigers’ bullpen blues: Bad choices, bad timing, bad luck

I think the real issue was/is their horrible player development. Other teams find bullpen arms in their own systems all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad