Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I still get irrationally angry he has that stupid pencil on his ear 24/7 in public as if he ever f***ing uses that thing. What kind of person has a stage prop they wear for show?

Don't act like you don't have a "hook," Bench. I know you walk around with a satchel that doesn't carry anything it. :laugh:

Reactions: Konnan511

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Don't act like you don't have a "hook," Bench. I know you walk around with a satchel that doesn't carry anything it. :laugh:

It's European.

Jg0n820.gif

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
It's not him. It's the players. Give him another couple years to get the Caldwell loser attitude out of these guys.

I still get irrationally angry he has that stupid pencil on his ear 24/7 in public as if he ever f***ing uses that thing. What kind of person has a stage prop they wear for show?

Like I should be happy the Lions continue to support this loser but I get upset for the fans of that team. You guys all deserve better. Dude is a loser who was sheltered by the best coach of all time.

I agree, he's shown nothing so far 3 years in. They got rid of Caldwell after a 9-7 season saying they wanted better results. The team has gotten progressively worse under Patricia. Dump him dump Quinn. Start over again.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Are the NHL playoffs posting better numbers than MLB games in major markets?

As an 'ice' hockey fan you should know the pain of being an off-brand sport. As a 'ball' hockey fan, your comment boggles the mind... because the thought of playing hockey without skating seems sacrilegious and lame to me. To each their own though... I just don't know if the TV revenue backs your flames.

It doesn’t, but shhh. Facts aren’t important.

He also did say that he has no exposure to MLB, not that NHL > MLB.

MLB really does have a star problem and a visibility problem. But so does the NHL and basically every sport that isn’t the NFL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

MLB really does have a star problem and a visibility problem. But so does the NHL and basically every sport that isn’t the NFL.

The NBA has zero visibility and star problems.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Matt Patricia is leading the Lions into the NFL record book. They are now the first team in NFL history (as in ever) to blow a 10+ point lead and lose in 4 consecutive games.

Be afraid, Trevor Lawrence. Be very afraid.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Guys give him a break. He just needs like seven more former Patriots to come to Detroit and the Lions will win the next 15 Super Bowls.

Should have been fired last year, along with the moron that hired him in the first place.

Sadly that won't happen because ownership is even more clueless than Quinn and Patricia.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

If I didn't love hockey, you can bet it would be even less visible on my feeds than Baseball.
I don't follow "general sports" accounts, watch TSN/ESPN or read sports sections.
The way we consume information has changed.

In the 80s and 90s, even if you never watched an NFL game, if you were a sports fan and read the sports page, you knew the most recent Super Bowl winner.
Today, I honestly can't tell you who won the most recent Super Bowl. There's no reason for me to know.

I know Toronto won in basketball ... last year I think. Have no idea who the most recent World Series champ is

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Matt Patricia is leading the Lions into the NFL record book. They are now the first team in NFL history (as in ever) to blow a 10+ point lead and lose in 4 consecutive games.

Be afraid, Trevor Lawrence. Be very afraid.

I saw david Chilton tweet that this is probably the low point of being a lions fan. Worse than the 0-16 season because that team stunk. This team legitimately has enough talent that they could compete for the division. The blown fourth quarter leads is a major coaching issue more than anything else. The loins are right there all the time but the clock management and play calling late in games screws them over.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I saw david Chilton tweet that this is probably the low point of being a lions fan. Worse than the 0-16 season because that team stunk. This team legitimately has enough talent that they could compete for the division. The blown fourth quarter leads is a major coaching issue more than anything else. The loins are right there all the time but the clock management and play calling late in games screws them over.
Patricia is hot garbage. Looks like a vagrant that shoplifts Twinkies to survive and draws up plays with feces on cardboard he finds in a back ally dumpster.

Sheila needs to make the decision to give Quinn another crack or hit the restart button. If the previous she needs to tell Bobby to can Patricia headed into the bye. If the latter she needs to let it ride. This team will win a maximum of 4 games and will in in the Lawrence Sweepstakes. Bring in a legitimate football man to get this team in the right direction. No more Belichick castoffs. There is a reason he is willing to shed his staff and players.

Reactions: saska sault

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Reporting from Mike Valenti who claims to have multiple sources within the Lions who have confirmed this.

Player Personnel settled on Isaiah Simmons or Tua Tagovailoa.
Matt Patricia settled on Derrick Brown.

Bob Quinn was the only one who wanted Jeff Okudah within the organization, and he strong armed and went rogue. So not only did he completely f*** up with his most heavily scouted player ever in Teez Tabor, but he doubled down with his personal favorite at #3 with Jeff Okudah, who looks like he's not even able to keep his head above water.

Assuming these things are true...which...they are the Lions, why wouldn't they be.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Reporting from Mike Valenti who claims to have multiple sources within the Lions who have confirmed this.

Bob Quinn was the only one who wanted Jeff Okudah within the organization, and he strong armed and went rogue. So not only did he completely f*** up with his most heavily scouted player ever in Teez Tabor, but he doubled down with his personal favorite at #3 with Jeff Okudah, who looks like he's not even able to keep his head above water.

Assuming these things are true...which...they are the Lions, why wouldn't they be.
Quinn didn't go rogue. He is the GM. Unless directed by ownership it is the GM that calls the final shot. Lions needed secondary help. Okudah was the best DB in the draft. You cannot judge this kid on one game. Slay struggled too. He turned out alright. Simmons and Brown have not looked hot either.

I am fine passing on Tua. When my franchise QB is coming off of a back injury I am not placing my future in the hands of a kid with an injury history.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Quinn didn't go rogue. He is the GM. Unless directed by ownership it is the GM that calls the final shot. Lions needed secondary help. Okudah was the best DB in the draft. You cannot judge this kid on one game. Slay struggled too. He turned out alright. Simmons and Brown have not looked hot either.

I am fine passing on Tua. When my franchise QB is coming off of a back injury I am not placing my future in the hands of a kid with an injury history.

He did go rogue. He is the GM, but the people that he hired to identify, develop, and manage the players, along with the coach who is in charge of trying to win on gameday ALL were against it. Yes, his word is final, but doesn't it speak to how dangerous it is to have someone this incompetent holding the loudest voice? You talk about how you want to put the right players in place for the coach to run his system, he tells you who he wants, and you pick someone else. The people whose job it is to scout and identify players tell you who they think are the best players available, and you pick someone else.

This is the blind leading the blind.

And to be perfectly clear, this isn't a death sentence for Okudah, but he needs to be able to do something noteworthy on the field. I watched the entire game, and I can safely say that Okudah did not make a single play of impact. He was routinely beat on routes he was covering. He was chasing the play, or in some cases not even remotely close to it. I want him to be a good player, and after this weekend, he is starting from the lowest of lows.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
And to be perfectly clear, this isn't a death sentence for Okudah, but he needs to be able to do something noteworthy on the field. I watched the entire game, and I can safely say that Okudah did not make a single play of impact. He was routinely beat on routes he was covering. He was chasing the play, or in some cases not even remotely close to it. I want him to be a good player, and after this weekend, he is starting from the lowest of lows.
Many rookies struggle. Brown and Simmons have struggled too. Slay stunk his first season. It happens.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
but he doubled down with his personal favorite at #3 with Jeff Okudah, who looks like he's not even able to keep his head above water.

To be fair, Rodgers said he picks on rookies until they show they can hang. He'll just keep throwing their way over and over picking on them. Dude is kinda the worst QB you want to see testing your learning CB. There's probably nobody better at reading coverage and picking on weak points.

CBs take time to develop. But I wouldn't let the current coaching staff do it, that's for sure.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He did help clean up messes of the defensive line, linebackers, secondary and his own with 7 tackles. Good for the Lions lead and second most overall between both teams.

So thankful that he finished with a lot of tackles. Really makes up for getting absolutely roasted in coverage by the receivers repeatedly...you know what his actual job is. He was damn near the worst player on the field. Lucky for him that Will Harris was out there to take the heat.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
To be fair, Rodgers said he picks on rookies until they show they can hang. He'll just keep throwing their way over and over picking on them. Dude is kinda the worst QB you want to see testing your learning CB. There's probably nobody better at reading coverage and picking on weak points.

CBs take time to develop. But I wouldn't let the current coaching staff do it, that's for sure.

I guess that's my point. Rodgers will pick on them until they show they can hang. And he never once had to think twice about going back to that honey pot. Okudah did not belong on the field yesterday. The development curve looks very large right now. Not to say he won't make it, but it's a lot murkier than we thought it would be.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Ok relax lol. Okudah was the right pick there, and one game against Aaron Rodgers when he didnt get OTAs, preseason and missed time hurt isnt the time to start saying he cant keep his head above water. If the lions went into that game with Tua on the bench with Trufant and Coleman out hurt, do you think Valenti is saying Tua was the right pick? Obviously not.

I think Quinn and Patricia are gone by the bye week but having Koudah as a building block for whoeber takes over is the least of the lions worries

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Ok relax lol. Okudah was the right pick there, and one game against Aaron Rodgers when he didnt get OTAs, preseason and missed time hurt isnt the time to start saying he cant keep his head above water. If the lions went into that game with Tua on the bench with Trufant and Coleman out hurt, do you think Valenti is saying Tua was the right pick? Obviously not.

I think Quinn and Patricia are gone by the bye week but having Koudah as a building block for whoeber takes over is the least of the lions worries

I actually don't agree with Okudah at 3 to begin with. I think he was a pick that theoretically made sense, considering Patricia ran out the two best secondary players on the team in the same year. But I wanted Simmons at 3 all along, and you can make the same complaints about him looking lost early on.

He was out on the field, and was more or less a ghost in pass coverage. Yes, playing against Rodgers presents unique challenges, but you'd hope that Okudah was even in the ballpark on some of those plays. That's what is concerning to me, he was not on the same planet for some of these routes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I actually don't agree with Okudah at 3 to begin with. I think he was a pick that theoretically made sense, considering Patricia ran out the two best secondary players on the team in the same year. But I wanted Simmons at 3 all along, and you can make the same complaints about him looking lost early on.

He was out on the field, and was more or less a ghost in pass coverage. Yes, playing against Rodgers presents unique challenges, but you'd hope that Okudah was even in the ballpark on some of those plays. That's what is concerning to me, he was not on the same planet for some of these routes.

DBs take longer to develop than many positions. It's like expecting a rookie defenseman to come into the NHL and anchor your top unit. Not typical.

It was one game against maybe the worst QB he could possibly face in his debut against the hottest offense in the league right now. Remember, the Packers dunked 40+ on the Vikings last week too. They are clicking early.

Rodgers felt zero pressure on him for the majority of the game which is a death sentence for any defensive back. Give him time and it's exponentially harder to do your job.

Any reactions about Okudah right now are insanely premature.

My concern would be what the hell happened to the Lions pass rush. Was Trey Flowers out there? He's getting big bucks to disrupt Rodgers and I don't remember hearing about him all game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad